Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 136 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2020, 03:51 AM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd still like to see a K-70 successor. I hope the solenoid problem will be resolved in the future models. The K-70 is quite a good choice for beginners. I just hope its successor will be fairly priced to entice those with budget constraints.

01-08-2021, 11:34 PM   #242

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex_Ros Quote
PENTAX is obviously the brand that offers the best value for money.

Even though Nikon has stated that it will not continue to produce DSLR And even when the D850 is relatively older than the K1 MKII the price difference between the two is the equivalent of buying the 24-70 2.8 WR and if they buy second hand optics they can include easily grip and about 3 additional batteries

The same happens in ApsC format
Price tag of K-3MkIII is gonna be same level as Nikon D500

I suppose.... Ricoh want you to get rid of the idea of "Pentax = best value for money"
01-09-2021, 02:03 AM - 2 Likes   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
Price tag of K-3MkIII is gonna be same level as Nikon D500

I suppose.... Ricoh want you to get rid of the idea of "Pentax = best value for money"
These are very hard economic times for photography, but I would still say you are still getting a better value with Pentax cameras.

A few examples:

a) Feature for feature, the K70 at $550 is most similar to other weather-sealed pentaprism DSLRs like the Nikon D7500 ($1000) or the Canon 80D ($900).

b) Full frame 36MP K1ii at $1800 is loaded with features you will not find for that price in either the 24MP Nikon D780 ($2300) or the 30MP Canon 5Div ($2500).

c) 50MP medium format Pentax 645Z at $5000 vs. Fujifilm GFX 50S ($4500) or Hasselblad X1D II 50C ($4750). Yes, the prices here are closer until you start factoring in Pentax medium format lens prices vs. Fujifilm or Zeiss.

So even if the initial list price for a new flagship Pentax DSLR is comparable to a Nikon D500, I would still say that Ricoh is making Pentax the best value for the money.
01-09-2021, 03:43 AM   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Well, in Romania a second hand D850 (67.000 shutter clicks) with Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 (latest version of the lens) costs 200$ more than a Pentax K-1 II (48.000 shutter clicks) with Pentax 24-70mm f2.8. If we replace the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 with Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2, the Nikon combo cost the same as Pentax combo.

The problem with Pentax in Romania it's that is poorly representent and the second hand market is almost non existent. On the largest second hand webstite that we have in Romania there is only one K-1 II listed, 2 K1s and that's it. Same with Pentax 24-70mm f2.8... it's just one available for sale. Nikon bodies, Nikon or third party lenses you can find plenty to choose from and the prices are the lowest I've seen due to covid pandemic and due to the mirrorless trend.

A Nikon D500 with 22.500 shutter clicks can be found for 900$. Add a Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens at 950$ (second hand also) and you can't find a Pentax equivalent that can beat the Nikon combo for the price if you want to shoot wildlife or action in general.

A Pentax K-3 II costs 750$ and there is only one available on the website. A Nikon D7200 with 27.000 shutter clicks can be found for 480$ and there are another 15 listed for under 625$ to choose from.

So, in my country Pentax doesn't offer at all the best price for the money. Both Canon and Nikon have more appealing offers when comes to second hand market. Add the third party lenses into consideration and Pentax is in big disatvantage. And if we add the mirrorless second hand market into consideration for the ones that don't have a problem with EVFs, it's hard to recommend Pentax here, in my country.
Maybe it's possible to buy used within the EU? I've seen a bunch of gear based in Romania that was shipping to Germany without issues, and the price didn't seem to be too out of line with other countries... Of course that doesn't fix the availability issues and it's not enough to recommend the brand to a newcomer.

01-09-2021, 04:28 AM   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Maybe it's possible to buy used within the EU? I've seen a bunch of gear based in Romania that was shipping to Germany without issues, and the price didn't seem to be too out of line with other countries... Of course that doesn't fix the availability issues and it's not enough to recommend the brand to a newcomer.
It may be possible, but when comes to second hand gear, I prefer to meet the seller and test what I want to buy. I have friends who bough lenses from other countries and had some problems with them that were not mentioned by the owners. The cost of shipping with the return costs in case of problems don't worth the trouble... I'm not a big fan of old lenses either which are cheap and in case of some problems I wouldn't loose much money...
01-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #246
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
I think most beginners will see less capable video and AF in a heavy body and not stick around long enough to find out what makes Pentax special.

Makes me curious about ratio of Pentaxians who started with the brand straight away with a DSLR vs. with a previous film SLR...
Hey, I am one of those!! I had a Canon P&S film camera from 1992-2014, then when it died I got a Canon superzoom. I quickly realized I wanted a "real" camera, and researched around looking for weathersealing mostly. Pentax was the only affordable camera with weathersealing, and seeing the other features- glass pentaprism, two control wheels, using legacy glass-I thought it was the the best way to go, and I still do!!
01-09-2021, 11:34 AM   #247
Pentaxian

It may be possible, but when comes to second hand gear, I prefer to meet the seller and test what I want to buy. I have friends who bough lenses from other countries and had some problems with them that were not mentioned by the owners. The cost of shipping with the return costs in case of problems don't worth the trouble... I'm not a big fan of old lenses either which are cheap and in case of some problems I wouldn't loose much money...
Especially true since it's so rare second hand lenses are priced much better than new.

01-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #248
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Pentax is still a viable option, or we wouldn't be here taking perfectly cromulent photos with our cameras
Mirrorless cameras, with respect to beginners, are more of a perceived than real advantage.
CROMULENT!!! Wow! I had to look it up, but I like it!! I'll have to work that into conversations!! Not only do I learn photography on PF, but also English!!

---------- Post added 01-09-21 at 03:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Instead butt dialing, butt photos.
Whoa!! Butt photos!!?? Is this safe for work??
01-09-2021, 01:33 PM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Not only do I learn photography on PF, but also English!!

You'd have to blame the Simpsons for that one
01-09-2021, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #250
Veteran Member

Truly, Pentaxforums embiggens us all.
01-13-2021, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #251

Hi all

I really beleive that Pentax is a perfectly sensible choice for beginners, especially when you can get very capable and complete system, WR as a bonus, for about $150 in second hand.

The DSLR vs MLC war is a non sense to me. Photography has nothing to do with having a mirror or not in the camera. We must fight the MLC marketing argument pretending that MLC is WYSIWYG... The reality is that "what you see is what the manufacturer beleives you want to get". If you shoot in JPEG, this is maybe true... but if you shoot RAW, this WYSIWYG statement is just bullshit. I think that in that case OVF, especially Pentax pentaprisme, is superior to EVF.

For my 15 years old son, I just acquired a K200D with 15000 actuations with the WR kit lenses 15-55mm and 50-200mm for 130 euros, postage included... Canikon or Fujifilm cannot beat this for beginners and even enthusiat amateurs! And for that price, you even get a mirror in the camera... Isn't that amazing

François

Last edited by fvanzeveren; 01-13-2021 at 02:25 AM.
01-13-2021, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #252

I bought our first DSLR for my partner and I last year. I had no photography experience at all and I had to put in a lot of time learning the technical terms and concepts, learning about exposure. There is a lot of knowledge required if you don’t want to use the green mode.. But most people wanting to take instagram and facebook photos will probably not want to put in that time.

Why choose Pentax? I was first looking at a second hand Canon and Nikon, for obvious reasons. Found about Pentax through some more research. Partly because of the community on this forum, that Pentax was the odd one and that it just seemed to be right was what made me want a Pentax.

To answer your question Lev, I think many beginners that want a DSLR will choose other brands because that is the norm. Then there might be some that like to research more independently and might then stumble, happily, upon Pentax.
01-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fvanzeveren Quote
For my 15 years old son, I just acquired a K200D with 15000 actuations with the WR kit lenses 15-55mm and 50-200mm for 130 euros, postage included... Canikon or Fujifilm cannot beat this for beginners and even enthusiat amateurs! And for that price, you even get a mirror in the camera... Isn't that amazing

François
Again, depends on where you live. With 130 euro you can get in Romania a Canon 600D (EOS Rebel T3i) with the 18-55mm kit lens in great condition. For another 80 euro you get also the 55-200mm lens. For 200 euro you can also get a Nikon D3300 with both 18-55mm and 55-200mm.

A Canon 450D or a Nikon D60 which are the much older "rivals" of K200D can be found for around 120 euro with both kit lenses.
01-13-2021, 01:46 PM   #254

Again, depends on where you live. With 130 euro you can get in Romania a Canon 600D (EOS Rebel T3i) with the 18-55mm kit lens in great condition. For another 80 euro you get also the 55-200mm lens. For 200 euro you can also get a Nikon D3300 with both 18-55mm and 55-200mm.

A Canon 450D or a Nikon D60 which are the much older "rivals" of K200D can be found for around 120 euro with both kit lenses.
None of these bodies and lenses are weather resistant, and the pentax WR kit lenses are usually seen as better than their canikon counterparts, not to mention build quality... And your first examples are still at least 80% more expensive... For 80% more pixels... It all depends what you are looking for... 😉
01-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fvanzeveren Quote
None of these bodies and lenses are weather resistant, and the pentax WR kit lenses are usually seen as better than their canikon counterparts, not to mention build quality... And your first examples are still at least 80% more expensive... For 80% more pixels... It all depends what you are looking for... 😉
Yes, but both have CMOS sensor vs CCD, both have higher mp (18 and 24mp vs 10mp), both have faster and better af and fps, both have full hd video... Yes, if build quality is more important than other things, K200D it offers better build quality. In terms of performance, both 600D and D3300 surpass K200D. And again, as I mentioned in the other comment, there are 130 euro kits which are similar to K200D, just that they aren't as well build as Pentax.