Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is Pentax still appealing for beginners in photography?

Long time ago when I was choosing between brands, I made my choice mainly because of nice community, then body itself was if not better, at least at the same level to other brands for much lower price, visual appearance and ergonomics, all these stuff helped me to pull trigger. So what would be an inspiration for new users choose Pentax in these days?

Last edited by Lev; 12-07-2020 at 08:56 AM.
12-07-2020, 08:26 AM - 9 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly, I'm not sure any DSLR, regardless of brand, is a particularly attractive option for beginners these days. Smartphone cameras are good enough for many purposes, after which I expect most of those developing a deeper interest would likely pick one of the mirrorless ILC options. It seems like a more natural progression to me. I think unless you've tried a DSLR, understood how it differs from a phone or mirrorless camera, and discovered the purity of shooting through an OVF (which, let's be frank, isn't everyone's cup of tea), then the DSLR form is a pretty hard sell...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-07-2020 at 08:40 AM.
12-07-2020, 08:36 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think Pentax's menu system is a big help as is the rear display. Bang for buck is also a huge factor. The K70 has dropped to near Nikon 3200 price and you get wr and ibis. Pentax's problem is it is the worlds best kept secret and everyone else Is way better at advertising (thanks to the retail network! Grrrrr)
12-07-2020, 08:37 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think there is more potential appeal of DSLRs than people expect. A certain number of people getting into photography are doing it through film.

Pentax SLR’s definitely have significant popularity with film photographers.

12-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Honestly, I'm not sure any DSLR, regardless of brand, is a particularly attractive option for beginners these days. Smartphone cameras are good enough for many purposes, after which I expect most of those developing a deeper interest would likely pick one of the mirrorless ILC options. It seems like a more natural progression to me. I think unless you've tried a DSLR, understood how it differs from a phone or mirrorless camera, and discovered the purity of shooting through an OVF (which, let's be frank, isn't everyone's cup of tea), then the DSLR form is a pretty hard sell...
Yep, it is obvious beginner won't start investigating advantages of OVF over EVF... or will?
12-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Honestly, I'm not sure any DSLR, regardless of brand, is a particularly attractive option for beginners these days.
Pretty much true, I am still in doubt if I should keep my DSLR gear or not... Smartphone cameras can produce astonishing results nowadays!
12-07-2020, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mirceattl Quote
P

Pretty much true, I am still in doubt if I should keep my DSLR gear or not... Smartphone cameras can produce astonishing results nowadays!
If you're in doubt, it may be that the craft of photography isn't that important to you. If all you want to do is compose your scene and have a computer do all the imaging work for you, a smartphone camera is probably a better choice. It'll even do some things you can't do with a DSLR or mirrorless camera... but you'll have less control over the results, significant elements of which are generated through software trickery, and image quality still doesn't stand up to pixel peeping or large reproduction; certainly not to the same extent as larger sensor cameras...

12-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mirceattl Quote
Smartphone cameras can produce astonishing results nowadays!
And make up the vast majority of shots on the Facebook group Crap Wildlife Photography...
12-07-2020, 09:12 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are easier options than DSLRs and not everyone's learning path takes them into DSLR or MILC territory.

I always tend to gravitate towards, "which system is easier to use for what you want to do" with beginners.

My last recommendation was for a fixed zoom lens small sensor camera. It was wanted for general purpose with a specialty in flowers (avid gardener). For flowers and an amateur, the wider DoF at wider apertures is a big plus. DoF is king. You tailor your recommendation based on making it as easy as possible for the beginner to get what they want.

If somewhere down the line they want something else, you change your recommendation.

For Pentax, someone interested in a very portable ILC system with many lenses made light weight and WR for the hikers or out doors type persons, or for people looking for great performance at base ISO Pentax could be a good recommendation.

For practically forever the Pentax niche has been top quality base ISO at a lower price than competitors. It does take a bit more work to get some images, but for me, it has always been about keeping costs down while having a competitive edge in the images I produce over my Canon/Nikon/Sony shooting competition, comparing the cost of the systems. I might need a bit more skill to get my image, but I'm fine with that. Having to be a better photographer to produce a better image for a lower price has always been part of my ethic. I'm not sure that's at all relevant to beginners.

Last edited by normhead; 12-07-2020 at 09:43 AM.
12-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I think there is more potential appeal of DSLRs than people expect. A certain number of people getting into photography are doing it through film.

Pentax SLR’s definitely have significant popularity with film photographers.
For me, the top suggestions for keywords in google if i type Pentax are "pentax k1000" and "pentax 67". A while ago i also checked their word trends and indeed searches for film cameras we're more popular than digital options.
12-07-2020, 09:22 AM   #11
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I think Pentax's menu system is a big help as is the rear display. Bang for buck is also a huge factor. The K70 has dropped to near Nikon 3200 price and you get wr and ibis. Pentax's problem is it is the worlds best kept secret and everyone else Is way better at advertising (thanks to the retail network! Grrrrr)
Indeed, I wonder how many innovations were introduced by Pentax and then used in other brands, and now it's fighting for survival.
12-07-2020, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Indeed, I wonder how many innovations were introduced by Pentax and then used in other brands, and now it's fighting for survival.
Fighting for survival?
Based on what information?
12-07-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Fighting for survival?
Based on what information?
Based on this and not only

Nothing new that it's struggling, but everything will be ok I'm sure.
12-07-2020, 09:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

For price point and weather sealing (not to mention some great glass) I don't see why not. It has been for me so far.
12-07-2020, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Based on this and not only

Nothing new that it's struggling, but everything will be ok I'm sure.
Compared to numbers I've seen for Canon, Nikon and Sony, those numbers are excellent.