Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Any K-m Samples?

Does anyone own this camera yet? I'm still not seeing many samples,.if you have this camera, pleases consider sharing some pictures with us.

Thanks.

11-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beethovenspiano Quote
Does anyone own this camera yet? I'm still not seeing many samples,.if you have this camera, pleases consider sharing some pictures with us.

Thanks.
RH Posted a Flickr link to Km pictures. It is in the first post. They are not any of his images. I think they look very good
11-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't seen this camera anywhere. Its mid november and you would they would be shipping them to stores by now.
11-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

We have them at London Drugs in Western Canada. I got a chance to play around with one for a bit.

My opinion of the camera is mixed. I think it takes great pics, just as good as the K200D anyways, and the simplified interface should make P&S upgraders feel right at home. However, it has to be said that the majority of reasons I love my K200 (top LCD instead of using color display for information, solid build feel, and metal-mounted spectacularly built kit lens) are all missing from the Km. The build quality, while still feeling a bit more substantial than the Rebel and D40-60 series, has had some obvious corners cut, such as the lack of thickness and texture on the rubber grips, the more loosened-up mode dial, and the lack of a substantial feeling when you engage the rear button controls (but again, not so much so as to put it in XTi territory).

For a difference of $100, unless you're after the size exclusively, or need the (awesome by the way) help system, I've been suggesting the K200D to people. Even the differences in just the kit lens (no focus scale, lack of MF clutch system, plastic lens mount) would be enough to get me to cough up the extra $100.

However, this is purely subjective you understand. Image quality seems to be right on par with the K200D, so people who need a small pack camera could do well by picking up a Km. It even still retains it's weather-sealing! I just thought that most of the features that set my Pentax apart from other entry-level offerings disappeared on the Km.

PS: Apologies for ripping on the XTi so much. My opinion comes at least somewhat from the experience of my customers. I put a K200D and an XSi/XTi next to each other (and a D60 if time permits) on the counter and get my customers to play with each and tell me what they think. I'd say 7 out of every 10 tell me the Pentax feels much more substantial, and wouldn't mind the extra weight because of the feel of the camera. The other three like the lightness of the Canon in comparison, but I suspect the majority of them have never held them both, side by side. Just lettin' you know.

11-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Inactive Account

On a completely unrelated note, those Flickr pictures have done absolutely nothing for me combating the urge to go out and pick up a DA40. So pretty.
11-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Neat set of pics. Miss living in the big city...

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
RH Posted a Flickr link to Km pictures. It is in the first post. They are not any of his images. I think they look very good
11-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #7

I just received my k-m today and I am happy with it so far. I also bought a K200D which is slightly too big for "on the run" type of photography that I do. I have a small Kata camera bag and the K-m is a much better fit for it. Since I carry the bag all day, I needed a lighter, smaller camera. Even a few ounces makes a difference to me. The lenses I buy are considered by weight first, features second.

The K200D LCD doesn't appeal to me as it is not backlit. I am happy with the help menu as I am a beginning consumer graduating from a Point and Shoot. I like the looser mode dial. I thought the K200D dial was too stiff. This dial is "flickable". The camera is meant for beginners. If I improve my photography skills maybe I will move up but in the meantime I will enjoy my compact Pentax. I don't think prosumers should disparage it too much as they are not the target market.
11-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nuqemie Quote
I just received my k-m today and I am happy with it so far. I also bought a K200D which is slightly too big for "on the run" type of photography that I do.

Hi Nugemie,

Nice choice on the K-M, it seems like a good deal.

And since you have both cameras, could you comment on actual size differences? I was about to get a K200 for 2nd body but now with the K-M i am not sure...

11-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nuqemie Quote
I just received my k-m today and I am happy with it so far. I also bought a K200D which is slightly too big for "on the run" type of photography that I do.
Would you be willing to post some samples? There are still no real world samples out there that I can find.
11-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by beethovenspiano Quote
Would you be willing to post some samples? There are still no real world samples out there that I can find.
There are some on Flickr from others. You are asking a newbie to post real world samples but I know know not yet what I do and would not be a good representation of the camera's abilities.

I don't know why it would be different than the K200D but I can try and take a few as I get time.

Last edited by nuqemie; 11-14-2008 at 07:28 PM.
11-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I took some pictures today with my brand new K-m.

All of the pictures are shot in jpg, sRGB. I uploaded all pictures directly from the memory card.
I have used different filters and programs. My first dSLR with those extra features.

I have just sold one of my K10D's with the K-m lens and a Tamron 70-300mm.
K20D next?
11-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
I took some pictures today with my brand new K-m.

All of the pictures are shot in jpg, sRGB. I uploaded all pictures directly from the memory card.
I have used different filters and programs. My first dSLR with those extra features.

I have just sold one of my K10D's with the K-m lens and a Tamron 70-300mm.
K20D next?
Hey congrats on your new toy. Hope you enjoy it. The pictures are nice and crisp.

I read somewhere that the K-M has a feature that you can set to "bring the shadows out", or something to that effect to make the shadows lighter. I am wondering if you could investigate this feature on your camera and let us know what you think about it. Thanks.
11-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #13

Here is a Malaysian who have already bought a K-m
He has done 3 reviews for the camera
Pentax Km Brief Review - PhotoMalaysia Community
Pentax Km review 2-ISO & SR test - PhotoMalaysia Community
Km Reivew 3 - P-TTL , SR - PhotoMalaysia Community

Enjoy
11-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #14

I have to concur about the improved focus. I went into a completely dark room, snapped a photo, and the k-m focused on an object about 3 meters away in one flash strobe. Nice!

It feels smaller than the 200D but not much lighter. I have handled an IstD, K200, D40, A200 and XSi and some antique Pentax film models of my father's. I am not sure whether it is light enough for a point and shoot graduate but it certainly feels sturdier and better made than the competition. Other models feel flimsy like they could be crushed with a hard squeeze.

My impression of the k-m is that Pentax engineers tried hard to cheapen the camera build quality to match low-end competitor models but, bless their little hearts, they just could not manage it. It has the same chunky, high durability feel of every other Pentax model. That chunkiness however, makes it feel comparatively low tech.

It feels snappier than the 200D. There is no noticeable delay in menu operations. I am getting used to the menu screens and not finding the help function particularly useful. I think the button depth for the d-pad is too small. The buttons need to be raised about 1mm or need a deeper depression around them for better tactile feel.

Last edited by nuqemie; 11-15-2008 at 02:31 PM.
11-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratario Quote
Hey congrats on your new toy. Hope you enjoy it. The pictures are nice and crisp.

I read somewhere that the K-M has a feature that you can set to "bring the shadows out", or something to that effect to make the shadows lighter. I am wondering if you could investigate this feature on your camera and let us know what you think about it. Thanks.
It's called "Shadow Compensation".

The default setting is ON.
"The gradation of shadow is compensated automatically".

OFF: "The process of compensation of the gradation of shadow is disabled".

I have no idea what it does