Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

I need a really fast burst rate. Not video. Photos for a photo-finish setup for Pinewood Derbys, Hot Wheels races etc. with my Cub Scouts. I recently used my K20D in burst mode. It's 21 fps burst mode (jpg only up to 115 frames) fits the bill. However, my K20D is acting up and it is not always working properly. After a short burst (~2 secs) the busy light stays on forever and at the end I get an error. Tried different cards. It only worked in about 60% of the tries. So I think it may be showing signs of age. Any other alternative? As mentioned, not video. I need pictures. Video is already covered.

Thanks,
The K20D's "21 FPS burst" was nothing but an incomplete attempt at video. As others have suggested, I'd say you would get better results by extracting individual frames from a video-capable camera (one with good video quality).

12-18-2020, 05:47 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Hello,

I need a really fast burst rate. Not video. Photos for a photo-finish setup for Pinewood Derbys, Hot Wheels races etc. with my Cub Scouts. I recently used my K20D in burst mode. It's 21 fps burst mode (jpg only up to 115 frames) fits the bill. However, my K20D is acting up and it is not always working properly. After a short burst (~2 secs) the busy light stays on forever and at the end I get an error. Tried different cards. It only worked in about 60% of the tries. So I think it may be showing signs of age. Any other alternative? As mentioned, not video. I need pictures. Video is already covered.

Thanks,
Since the K20D works for what you are doing, perhaps look for another in excellent shape with a low shutter count. Mine is mint, but I'm not ready to let go of it- for other reasons than your needs. Other than that, the forthcoming K-3 III is said to be designed with action shooting in mind.
12-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K20D's "21 FPS burst" was nothing but an incomplete attempt at video. As others have suggested, I'd say you would get better results by extracting individual frames from a video-capable camera (one with good video quality).
Another user (Clackers) pointed out that the rolling shutter effects would make that method inappropriate for the race photos.

I wonder; does the k20d burst mode rely on an electronic or physical shutter?
12-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Another user (Clackers) pointed out that the rolling shutter effects would make that method inappropriate for the race photos.

I wonder; does the k20d burst mode rely on an electronic or physical shutter?
It must have been electronic, because there's no way that shutter could cope with 21fps bursts.

12-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
How fresh is the camera battery? Is it aftermarket or genuine Pentax? Could be that the battery isn't supplying consistent voltage which is causing the issue.
My K10 suffers from this. Works great for a little while with a "freshly charged" battery.
Then things rapidly go downhill as the battery can't keep up.

It generally has all kinds of problems with focus confirmation, flash charging, etc.
Then the battery indicator goes, "oh, that battery you took off the charger 20 minutes ago? dead..."

I'd look to battery age first... and if these are original batteries, I'd definitely say that's it...

-Eric
12-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all! I did not think of the battery as I have 2, but both are over 8 years old. I just ordered a replacement 2400 mAh battery from eBay to see if it makes a difference. That may explain another issue a year ago when it refused to write to the card sometimes but the card worked perfectly fine on another body.
I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!
12-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently used my K20D in burst mode. It's 21 fps burst mode (jpg only up to 115 frames) fits the bill. However, my K20D is acting up and it is not always working properly.
Really interesting, i didn't know about this.

The forum still remembers (:
Burst Mode
K20D burst mode has 768x1024 internal resolution
K20D video with sound
How does burst on K20D work mechanically?
K20D burst mode - post your vids!
Anyone use K20D's 21fps burst mode for fast action photography?
burst mode fun
Fun with K20D, burst mode & figure-skating
K20D burst mode video
K20D Burst Mode - Batter up
Example of K20d burst mode

Is K20D the only with burst mode 21fps?
Yes.
The Pentax X-5 had 10fps and the K-3 III will have 12fps.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax%20K-3...=Pentax%20K20D

Last edited by angerdan; 12-25-2020 at 03:34 PM.