Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2020, 01:52 PM - 15 Likes   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

For those not upgrading to the K-3III immmediately, watch this video...

I've made my thoughts about the K-3III pretty clear in recent months. Of course, I want one (I really do)... but I don't need one, and until the price for a new one comes down or it becomes available in the secondary market at a price I'm comfortable with, I'll be sticking with my K-3 and K-3II, which - along with my older and much-loved bodies - suit me fine.

Anyhooo...

This evening I was looking on YouTube for examples of K-3 video, as I'd like to try out a little casual video work next year (purely as a learning exercise) and I know it's not well thought of in this area due to low bit rate and lack of mechanical image stabilisation. I simply searched for "pentax k-3 video", and the third result that popped up was titled "The Pentax K-3 III is Upon Us, Time To Grab The Original? - Pentax K-3, My Favorite Camera in 2020" by a YouTuber called "snappiness". It's not actually about video, but rather - as you can tell from the title - the K-3.

This is a young man with some serious talent who uses the K-3 for both stills photography (mainly landscape, nature and astro, it seems) and video, despite acknowledging its limitations with the latter. He's very level-headed and unemotional in his presentation, and has some excellent things to say about the K-3 while displaying some wonderful photos he's taken with this camera (his post-processing skills are clearly excellent too). The video lasts less than eight minutes, and - for me - it's one of the best Pentax-related videos I've watched in years.

Oh, I forgot to mention - he also shoots a K-1

I have no affiliation with this lad... in fact, I'd never heard of him before tonight. I hope he's a member here. Either way, I encourage you good folks to watch his video to the end, without skipping. I think you'll like it. If not, you've only lost eight minutes

---------- Post added 13-12-20 at 21:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I hope he's a member here
In fact, he may be a member... Check out his video regarding the DA15 Limited, where PentaxForums gets a mention

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-13-2020 at 04:15 PM.
12-13-2020, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...I know it's not well thought of in this area due to low bit rate and lack of mechanical image stabilisation.
Still, perfectly doable if one uses cinematic technique. BTW...great video!

Steve
12-13-2020, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Awesome! I'll definitely have to look him up on YouTube. It would be pretty cool if he is a member rather just knowing this place in passing or lurking.
12-13-2020, 02:59 PM - 3 Likes   #4

K3 and K3 II users tend to buy lenses and hiking shoes.

12-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I hope he's a member here.
...Hard to say. Based on his photos, he lives in the western U.S. (Texas? New Mexico?), if that provides a clue. Some members from here have left comments, BTW.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-13-2020 at 03:39 PM.
12-13-2020, 03:07 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...Hard to say. Based on his photos, he lives in the western U.S., if that provides a clue.
Steve!! Is it you?! You're more youthful than I expected...

---------- Post added 13-12-20 at 22:12 ----------

Aha! I've GOT him... it's member @Snapppy (note the three p's) Looking through his channel archive, I found a video about our "Six Megapixel Club" and remember him posting a link for it to that thread some time back. It was a very good video, and I'm really pleased to see he's continued to post Pentax content. He's classy about it too... he doesn't use PF as a platform to blatantly boost his viewing numbers with lots of personal links, unlike some others

Thanks for the K-3 video, @Snapppy - I enjoyed it immensely, and I'm now watching some of your other videos, including the non-Pentax stuff which is just as enjoyable

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-13-2020 at 03:46 PM.
12-13-2020, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup - nice manner and very nice images - good to see - thanks

12-13-2020, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

btw - I think we could all do worse than supporting his YouTube channel by subscribing - I have, and not just for his benefit - for mine too
12-13-2020, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
btw - I think we could all do worse than supporting his YouTube channel by subscribing - I have, and not just for his benefit - for mine too
Well said. I've subscribed too

I've been watching a few of his other videos, and (to me) they're a breath of fresh air. It's so nice to watch content that isn't intended to whip folks up into frenzied, opinionated and polarised debate for the sake of it... and delivered in a relaxed and calming way. Great stuff to watch over a morning coffee
12-13-2020, 03:44 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

He's classy about it too... he doesn't use PF as a platform to blatantly boost his viewing numbers with lots of personal links, like some others
You noticed that too, eh? We seem to have acquired a few bloggers and youtubers who seem to use their accounts excessively to push traffic. What is the rule, twice per year?

Steve
12-13-2020, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

they're a breath of fresh air.
Such as...

QuoteQuote:
...seriously, how much dynamic range do we really need?
If I said that here, I would get 50 pages of heated replies.

Steve
12-13-2020, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Of course I will subscribe. The video was very interesting. The images were very pleasing and I like the communication effectiveness of the guy. I’m sure he has some good stuff to watch.
12-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You noticed that too, eh?
Yes sir, I most certainly did.

We seem to have acquired a few bloggers and youtubers who seem to use their accounts excessively to push traffic. What is the rule, twice per year?
Yes, but (if I remember correctly) when the link is deemed relevant to the discussion it's within the forum rules. It's a bit of a loophole for the few that choose to abuse it, as they could often just comment directly rather than linking to their own content. Well, that's my opinion, at least. Since I stood down from the team, I try not to get too involved in such matters

I should emphasise this absolutely has not been the case with our fellow member whose video I linked to in my opening post. He's going about things the right way

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-13-2020 at 04:10 PM.
12-13-2020, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Aha! I've GOT him... it's member @Snapppy

Yes, I still remember this other video
I Made My Own Pentax Camera For The 100th Anniversary (Out of Chocolate) - PentaxForums.com
12-13-2020, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, but (if I remember correctly) when the link is deemed relevant to the discussion it's within the forum rules.
And when link is the sole content of the original post and just happens to be the most recent offering, I guess that qualifies too. After all, everything fits into general photography.

No need to respond...I am on thin ice too, I would expect, but zero content original posts are pet peeve of mine.

Steve