Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2020, 02:52 PM - 8 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Aha! I've GOT him... it's member @Snapppy (note the three p's) Looking through his channel archive, I found a video about our "Six Megapixel Club" and remember him posting a link for it to that thread some time back. It was a very good video, and I'm really pleased to see he's continued to post Pentax content. He's classy about it too... he doesn't use PF as a platform to blatantly boost his viewing numbers with lots of personal links, unlike some others

Thanks for the K-3 video, @Snapppy - I enjoyed it immensely, and I'm now watching some of your other videos, including the non-Pentax stuff which is just as enjoyable
Yes, this is me I am an expert lurker in the forums. You can most often find me in the marketplace trying to snag a deal on yet another old camera or perusing the 6/10 megapixel club threads. Thank you for your kind words

I hope people understood the point of the video. I do honestly think the K-3 III will be a remarkable camera. But I also know that in the excitement of new things it’s easy to forget how good the things we already have are. That doesn’t mean an upgrade won’t be warranted by some (and for Pentax’s profits, I hope so!) but sometimes the bickering over small features and pixel peep comparisons makes me worry about some photographers

12-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #32
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
I hope people understood the point of the video. I do honestly think the K-3 III will be a remarkable camera. But I also know that in the excitement of new things it’s easy to forget how good the things we already have are. That doesn’t mean an upgrade won’t be warranted by some (and for Pentax’s profits, I hope so!) but sometimes the bickering over small features and pixel peep comparisons makes me worry about some photographers
I absolutely understood the point of your video, and agree wholeheartedly with the observations and sentiments therein. I believe and sincerely hope the new K-3III will sell well, both to folks who need and can truly leverage its many improvements and to those who simply want and can afford it. It's going to be an amazing camera, I'm sure. For the rest, those who own the K-3 (or K-3II) already have a very fine camera that's capable of so much (in some cases more than they realise, or care to admit), whilst those looking to move up from a more basic or even older model should definitely consider the K-3 as a valid option... even a compelling one.

Thanks again for the video

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-15-2020 at 02:20 AM.
12-14-2020, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Enjoyed the video and watched several other and subscribed.
12-16-2020, 04:44 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I anticipate asking prices to remain about where they are. Why sell a perfectly good body for less than one might pay for a couple of Lee filters and a holder?

I made the mistake six years ago in letting my very clean K10D go for a song ($150 with kit lens) to help offset my K-3 purchase...big error of judgement.

Steve
Who Knows? Perhaps if the price of the new K3 III is higher than some are prepared to pay, perhaps the original K3 and II may retain their value even more!

12-17-2020, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Correct: I've a trio of the 6Mp *ist's (actually I lie, one is a K100D). Just because they're 'old' doesn't mean they've lost any of their abilities at the time they originally retailed. In fact, given all three are faultless in operation, I kinda feel the other way, about the re-assurance that they are gonna last: I'm from the Automotive world, and there is a tonne of truth in the saying "They don't build them like they used to".

But I also like buying stuff second hand for a heap of reasons: And not just my own personal finances: I can't spend a lot of time, but i spend some trawling Ebay, Gumtree, the local pawn shops for stuff that interests me: I know pawn shops have their shady side, but they can help keep the value of a product, and close the circle of ownership: If there's demand for 2nd hand K3's v1's, then there may be some current owners, whom the trade up difference is a deal their willing to do: So pentax get a sale, a photographer gets a new cam, and the original k3 get's a new home, and will most likely cherished. 3 happy parties, because someone sees value in the second hand item.
12-17-2020, 09:02 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EnglishBob Quote
K3 and K3 II users tend to buy lenses and hiking shoes.
I feel stereotyped.... so true
12-18-2020, 01:34 AM   #37
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aussie Matt Quote
If there's demand for 2nd hand K3's v1's, then there may be some current owners, whom the trade up difference is a deal their willing to do: So pentax get a sale, a photographer gets a new cam, and the original k3 get's a new home, and will most likely cherished. 3 happy parties, because someone sees value in the second hand item.
Precisely!

A while back I was the target of a thinly-veiled challenge as to who supported Ricoh / Pentax and its retailers more... the challenger, who had recently bought the K-1 (or K-1II - I can't remember), D FA*50/1.4, and planned to buy every forthcoming lens new from his dealer (like all his other equipment); or me, with my large collection of cameras and lenses, some bought new, many used. My response - very much in line with your point above - was that every time I bought a used, no-longer-wanted item from a private seller, I was liberating funds for them to go and buy the next new camera or lens.

The secondary market is important for a number of reasons - including, indirectly, sales of new equipment...

12-19-2020, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #38

Great video, enjoyed watching it & the 15mm lens review. Will check back for more later.
12-22-2020, 04:27 AM   #39

Great videos! Thanks for sharing!
05-10-2021, 10:26 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
upgrading your Pentax camera

While Ricoh will not like this, if what you have now is doing the job for you, you don't really have that much incentive to upgrade. Nevertheless, since technology moves right along, and things do eventually wear out, we should be aware of what is happening in the marketplace and at least consider upgrading when the opportunity exists. While the pricing of the K3 III seems really high compared to past K3 and similar APS-C versions, there does seem to be a lot of improvement involved in this third itineration of this model. Some have questioned why no tilting screen. Perhaps those who want or need this are a minority? Since the price has advanced considerably, leaving out features ( lights, GPS, astro, tilting screen, etc. ) helps keep the costs down while providing meaningful core improvements. If this is a relatively revolutionary upgrade, then perhaps the next one will be less so and would allow for the K3, IV to be more price competitive while offering more features.

All those neat features in the K1 and K1 II come at a cost and also require space to be incorporated into the unit. A larger FF body automatically has more room for more features.

Some questioned why add all this new technology to the APS-C line rather than the FF line. There are a lot more APS-C Pentaxians out there and therefore a much broader potential client base and as such, going the K3 route first makes perfect sense.

Too bad that the baked in alteration of files in RAW cannot be turned off in the software. It is nice to have in certain conditions but not always desired.

The Pentax brand does seem to be holding up well, based upon future forecasting by amateur Pentax buffs and their consideration of what should happen next. It must give Ricoh comfort to know that Pentaxians are looking forward to a brighter future. No, that was not intended as a pun, or was it?