Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2020, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I got my K1 in 2016, i got the D FA 28-105 with it and never regretted that decision. I have added a K1-II to the herd and when I go to places like Yellowstone, The D FA 28-105 is on one and the D FA 150-450 is on the other.

12-14-2020, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
Because I saw a used K1ii at an unbeatable price, and also because I have decided that the K3iii is not what I want.
Similar story here, except my already having the FA 43mm and 77mm Ltds, along with some other very fine FF lenses, including the FA 35mm f/2 was a big push, because I missed what these lenses could do for me with film. I still can use them with film, but the K-1 II is obviously even better. As to the DFA 28-105mm, for me that was a no-brainer, as I got a good deal bought together in the pre-packaged kit. I reasoned that when mainly shooting FF, it would be a good idea to have a WR setup for it as well as for my APS-C equipment.

Since you also have a KP, I believe you will not find a huge difference in quality when using fine lenses. And this is a good thing. Each has its own virtues. if I am going to be doing a lot of trekking or biking around, I will be using an APS-C setup, especially the KP, beyond a doubt. But when just walking shorter distances, and not doing much beyond shorter telephoto, the K-1 II is great.

The DFA 28-105 is a great all-around versatile companion on the K-1 II and without adding very much weight. I've been enjoying my FA 43mm again as a versatile wide/normal walk-around prime lens, and the FA 35mm as a fast moderate wide angle, and with such compact, high-quality lenses you get a different perspective and aperture speed compared to what APS-C can bring, and these lighter lenses make the K-1 II much more manageable weight-wise.
12-15-2020, 01:55 AM   #18
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow lots of replies, thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I use K-1II and K-3II. Depends on the situation which body I use. Sometimes one or the other, sometimes both with different lenses.

K-3II has the 16-85 on it most of the time. K-1II has the 28-105 on it quite often. The 28-105 is a very good general purpose lens. I have also the 24-70 for the K-1II but the 28-105 is so good and much lighter that I use it unless the 24-70 is needed for a specific shot.

Why both? For me I use the different formats depending on what I am shooting. I plan on having both APS-C and FF bodies so having both is not an issue for me. For many shoots having at least two bodies on site is needed just in case. When just going out with a light kit the K-3II usually goes. When going out for sunset or sunrise or other difficult times the K-1II goes. So having 16-85 and 28-105 is for me, not a duplication.
How do you feel the # between K3ii + 16-85 and K1ii + 28-105? I mean looking at them as a combination, rather than an individual contest between the 2 lenses. For landscape, for example,

---------- Post added 12-15-20 at 01:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
I use both lenses and I can tell you what it means: 28-105 and 16-85 are very good all-round lenses for FF and APS-C respectively. It does not mean you get similar results - sensors are different and they require different lenses. Think of following question - 'I'm looking for very good all-round lens, what do you recommend?'. The answer is: 16-85 for APS-C, or 28-105 for FF. Similarity is in function and in ways you can use them, not in the quality of an image.
I understood that you meant better image quality from the FF combo? The 16-85 to me is the best general standard lens for a crop camera, and I'm sure the 28-105 is too, for a K1. My question is rather, "I have a KP with 16-85 mounted and a K1, should I buy a good all-around lens for my K1, or it's already well covered with my KP"?

---------- Post added 12-15-20 at 02:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
When I bought the K-1, I already had the KP and the DA 16-85 — although I wasn't really using the 16-85 all that much (I was mostly using my three limiteds, 15, 21, and 35, along with the DA 55-300 PLM). The first lens I bought for the K-1 was the DFA 28-105. I would even go so far as to say I don't think I would have considered the K-1 without the DFA 28-105. My original intention was to shoot zooms on FF and my limited primes on APS-C. That's not exactly how it worked out. When I wanted to travel light, I would take the KP and the limited primes. But that wasn't very often. More often I would take the K-1 with the DFA 28-105 and the FA 20-35 (later the DFA 15-30) and the KP with the 55-300 PLM. When I would go on longer landscape photography trips, that would the basic kit, and most of the images taken on these trips were either with the DFA 28-105 on the K-1 or with the DA 55-300 PLM on the KP. That combination has worked really well for me. It's really convenient not to have to change lenses when going from standard zoom to telephoto work. Meanwhile, I've only used the DA 16-85 once in the last three years.
Thank you, this is what I'm curious about. I decided to go for the K1ii very quickly without really thinking about future, since the price was so good, but now I realise there could be a lot of duplication, and a relatively waste (or not optimal) use of my APSC equipments, if I'm happy with the K1 and can live with the extra weight. Bringing 2 cameras at once is not yet a consideration for me at this point.
12-15-2020, 02:19 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Driving holiday K1. Flying holiday KP. That's what I do.

12-15-2020, 03:44 AM   #20
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
The DFA 28-105 is a great lens. Very quick to focus, very quiet and really good picture quality. Maybe before you rush in you might consider older lenses, that were originally made for film cameras. There are some good choices available and quite a deal cheaper than the 28-105. And, you could also consider some older primes as well because you will have plenty of cash left over to make more purchases. Having said that, I did get the dfa 28-105 myself and love it
Thank you for advice. In fact except for some D-FA* lenses who are either too big, too expensive or both, I prefer high quality and automation lenses for travel convenience and I'm willing to pay for them, hence even my A28/2 for example, is great, I rarely use it but rather my modern 20-40 and DA 35ltd.

---------- Post added 12-15-20 at 03:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Similar story here, except my already having the FA 43mm and 77mm Ltds, along with some other very fine FF lenses, including the FA 35mm f/2 was a big push, because I missed what these lenses could do for me with film. I still can use them with film, but the K-1 II is obviously even better. As to the DFA 28-105mm, for me that was a no-brainer, as I got a good deal bought together in the pre-packaged kit. I reasoned that when mainly shooting FF, it would be a good idea to have a WR setup for it as well as for my APS-C equipment.

Since you also have a KP, I believe you will not find a huge difference in quality when using fine lenses. And this is a good thing. Each has its own virtues. if I am going to be doing a lot of trekking or biking around, I will be using an APS-C setup, especially the KP, beyond a doubt. But when just walking shorter distances, and not doing much beyond shorter telephoto, the K-1 II is great.

The DFA 28-105 is a great all-around versatile companion on the K-1 II and without adding very much weight. I've been enjoying my FA 43mm again as a versatile wide/normal walk-around prime lens, and the FA 35mm as a fast moderate wide angle, and with such compact, high-quality lenses you get a different perspective and aperture speed compared to what APS-C can bring, and these lighter lenses make the K-1 II much more manageable weight-wise.
Very useful advice. I don't plan to get rid of the APSC system at all, maybe selling a few lenses if I use their FF equivalences more. I look forward to experiencing the K1 perspective, and I will targeting a 31 and a 43 soon.
12-15-2020, 09:34 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

K1 with the 31-43-77 trio
K1 is made for this three lenses. Although I use my 28-105 as an all around travel lens, when it comes to shooting for clients, I always go back to my 31/43/77 trio for the best possible image quality. Of the three, 43mm gets the most use! It is supposedly the "worst" of the three but my results say otherwise. I have used the trio with my K3, K5IIs and now my K1. They have delivered outstanding results with each camera. I have long sold my K3 bodies and now have the K1 and my K5IIs. I use the K1 almost 100% of the time. I might add a KP or the new APS-c body if I get an assignment that calls for them. For now, K1 is the king and nothing in the price range can touch it.
I love my Pentax for its "built like a tank" feel and still image quality that competes with medium format.
12-15-2020, 09:40 AM - 4 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, I have just bought a K1ii. Do I need it? I don't think so, having been happy with a KP and a decent set of DA Limiteds + a few others DA* and so on. Do I want it? Absolutely, I'm always curious what FF looks like, and I also want to try a K1 with the 31-43-77 trio to see what all the fuss is about. Why did I buy it? Because I saw a used K1ii at an unbeatable price, and also because I have decided that the K3iii is not what I want.

In terms of lenses, I have the DA* 11-18 which you (the forum) say works in FF from 15mm. I also have the legacy A28/2, the DA* 55, the 77, and the macro 100, so I'm good. As we're heading to Christmas vacation in the mountain (after 1 month and a half under lock-down in France), we're raring to go, and of course I look forward to having new experience with my new camera. But I rarely travel without at least 1 general and WR lens (for example for the KP it would be the 16-85). So I'm looking at the 28-105. I did some research, found a few discussion in the forum, and it seems the conclusion is, it's a very good lens, and "an equivalent of the 16-85 on APSC". Wait, what? So then why should I buy this lens to walk-around a 1.5 kilograms package, to have similar quality (and even less flexibility) to the 1.2 kilograms KP + 16-85?

Or the question is, for someone owning both Pentax FF and APSC system, you buy the 28-105 because image quality of the FF combo is better (resolution, noise, etc), or because you don't want to bring 2 cameras?
So I'm looking at the 28-105. I did some research, found a few discussion in the forum, and it seems the conclusion is, it's a very good lens, and "an equivalent of the 16-85 on APSC". Wait, what? So then why should I buy this lens to walk-around a 1.5 kilograms package, to have similar quality (and even less flexibility) to the 1.2 kilograms KP + 16-85?
Although the 28-105 is a good lens you might soon tire of it being that at 28mm its really not that wide and the f4.5-5.6 makes it a "daylight" lens. Unless you don't mind boosting the ISO to astronomical levels. Personally, I would get a 50mm normal lens and take pictures with that for a while to see what you really need.

12-15-2020, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you feel the # between K3ii + 16-85 and K1ii + 28-105? I mean looking at them as a combination, rather than an individual contest between the 2 lenses. For landscape, for example,
For images with no particular challenges such as normal daylight travel shots I think it would be difficult to tell them apart. I often process a days worth of images with shots from both cameras mixed together and really have to look at the EXIF to tell one camera from another.

For images at sunset, sunrise or very low light or long exposures I use the K-1II. That is more of a camera decision than a lens one though. The K-1II gives you more to work with than the K-3II.

But to answer the question I think you are asking: In general I don't think one combo is automatically better than the other. In my opinion you need a general purpose lens for each body in the bag. For me that means 16-85 on the K-3II and 28-105 on the K-1II. The 16-85 is my last remaining APS-C only lens, everything else is FF so interchangeable between formats.
12-15-2020, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had the K-S2 with a non-stop growing armada of lenses for a few years now, and this year I've kept my eyes open for a deal on a K-1 II (with or without 28-105), but I had not found a deal great enough that would have made me buy it. Then I found a barely used K-1 for a great price and invested the price difference to a new K-1 II into prime lenses. I considered the 28-105 afterwards, but I had said to myself that I got the K-1 to produce higher quality pictures for special purposes, and would be closer to getting those with primes. If I just want to take photos on a walk not knowing what to expect, I still have the K-S2 for that. And the 28 on the wide end bothers me a little. I've got an M 28/2.8, F 28/2.8 and a Sigma 28/1.8 to cover that end. I've got a DFA 100 WR for the other end. Some other lenses for in between. Two decent zooms for longer than that, but for tele it's hard to justify using something else than the PLM most of the time. What I'm missing at the moment is wider than 28, and the 28-105 will not get me that. Which is why I've looked long and hard at the 24-70/2.8, and almost got one a few weeks ago (thanks eBay for making a coupon that ends at 4pm ). I looked at the FA*24, but did not get it (yet). The 15-30 is out of my league. I looked at the M20 and Samyang and Irix and Laowa, but I've not made up my mind yet. But I think I'm settled on not getting the 28-105 (that might change in the future of course )
12-15-2020, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
What I'm missing at the moment is wider than 28, and the 28-105 will not get me that.
You might look at the FA 20-35 f/4. I quite liked the lens when I had it, small and good quality though a lens hood is really needed. I think the 15-30 is more contrasty but the weight alone puts it in a different category.
12-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You might look at the FA 20-35 f/4.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that one. It costs about the same as the FA*24 on the used market here, which seemed a bit much for me. Both a little less used than a 28-105 new. I think if I'd bought a K-1 II new, I would have bought it in a kit with the 28-105.

I think I'll first take a few serious pics with the K-1 and the lenses I have at the moment before deciding on what wider lens I want.
12-15-2020, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hesitated on buying the 28-105, for a long time. After all, I had the lovely FA*28-70/2.8, and a pile of prime lenses including the three FA Limiteds. Eventually, I was persuaded by my friend David (an occasional contributor here) that I should buy one. It now resides on the K-1 as a default, though not necessarily the majority of the time. However, the 28-105 and the D FA70-210 make a good combination when walking any distance with the K-1.
12-15-2020, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"I have a KP with 16-85 mounted and a K1, should I buy a good all-around lens for my K1, or it's already well covered with my KP"?
If you are satisfied with image quality of KP, I think you don't need 28-105. Granted, image quality of FF is generally better, but in this scenario you have satisfactory quality with KP already. As you noted in original post, K-1 with 28-105 is bigger, heavier, and more expensive than corresponding APS-C rig.

Last edited by pentageek; 12-15-2020 at 05:50 PM. Reason: clarification
12-15-2020, 07:40 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

I've got a K1 and a 28-105 and a 24-70 F 2.8. The 28-105 is sharp, lightweight and images are excellent. The 24-70 is faster, more expensive and I really don't know how much better the image quality is with it.

My vote ? Get the 28-105.
12-15-2020, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would get the 28-105. But I would bring everything plus a four lens 6X7 outfit "just in case". Yes, I have used a 3 lens 67 outfit for just walking around. My Gitzo tripod makes a nice walking stick.