Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2020, 11:20 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera stores are on their way out anyway. Most cameras these days if bought in person are sold in large lot variety stores. Around here, all the camera stores have closed, while some "real cameras" are offered by Costco, Best Buy, etc. where you can also buy refrigerators, washing machines, even food. And they are not carrying anything other than kit type lenses. Pretty basic.

I recently bought a K-1 II, and already have 2 KP bodies, along with my "older" K-S2 and K-5 IIs. I am well-outfitted for virtually any kind of situation I will be in. I think Pentax has a great line of DSLRs and only a couple of holes in the lens lineup. It will be even more enhanced with the arrival of the fast-action oriented K-3 III.

12-15-2020, 02:23 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great idea, but despite living in a university town, Wilkinson's photographic closed for good during the lockdown :'(
12-15-2020, 02:24 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
If I had spare cash, I'd buy me some Pentax gears every year. That's one way of helping out. Let the inventory move. The second would be to endorse the brand. We can always post our good photos in Facebook or some other social media and say it was taken by a Pentax along with the data on the EXIF so as to disguise the campaign. I think those are the 2 things I can think of as an ordinary person.
Spot on. I leave in a place without camera stores. And we are on an island. The nearest shop is some hundreds nautical miles away. So the “harassment” is not much of a choice to me. But I go hiking with Canonikon friends and I can tell they appreciate the quality of Pentax. In a little while they will admit the superiority (kidding of course, but it’s a fact for some)
The thing is, any “campaign” wouldn’t have a chance if no new customers would be involved. I have been a salesman myself for some time. We didn’t have real hopes for a brand change. The target is always the new owner. It’s rare that someone would change their mind and buy into Pentax, having a whole other system for years.
On the other hand, I doubt that any new customer would go for the K3mkIII. It’s an economically grounded possibility. So that brings things to us, already brand lovers. Me? I would love to get a K3III. I don’t have the money. I would love to have some 2-3 thousands to spend for a body and a few lenses. I don’t. I won’t. Many people in this forum will. They can. Let’s hope they’re few of the many more.

Last edited by Michail_P; 12-15-2020 at 02:33 AM.
12-15-2020, 02:30 AM   #19
Pentaxian

My nearest Pentax outlet is "overseas" … (one of the disadvantages of living on an island), so I have no option but to buy on-line. The last local Pentax retailer closed soon after I bought my *ist DS, but I've "soldiered on" simply because of my investment in lenses, not all Pentax-brand, admittedly, but all Pentax-fit.
Any mention of "Pentax" in the only local photographic retailer left is met with looks of pity or dis-belief from the shop-assistant, (depending on age)!

12-15-2020, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
That's a great idea except for the fact that Pentax has no new gear and the rumors are that they are sticking with DSLRs. So twenty-tens.
Oh, puh-lease, there is nothing revolutionary about mirrorless - SLRs are as much 2020 as they are 1950. Most mirrorless cameras are nothing more than sticking live view into an eye box. Some don't even do that.
12-15-2020, 02:44 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The way I've been supporting Pentax is to purchase from Ricoh Imaging's store directly. I've purchased one camera, two lenses and some accessories in the last couple of years. It cuts out the retailer in the middle and must be more beneficial to profitability. Admittedly, you can often get the product cheaper elsewhere, but we are talking about how to go to some extra effort to support the brand here. It strikes me that anyone could make this choice that would help Pentax.

I'm not sure that the problem with Pentax not being in bricks and mortar stores is specific to Pentax, as much as the stores themselves. Many of them have gone out of business or are close to it because of online competition and falling sales overall. They are cutting the brands they stock and Pentax, being smaller, was one of the first on the block. Even if they can be persuaded to stock Pentax, it won't make that business model work for them, and they may still go out of business.

Ricoh is not a weak company and the K-3 III looks great, so I'm not concerned about it. But I'm convinced that if Pentax returns to glory, the new glory won't look like the former glory. It won't be made in camera stores.
I agree. We have a camera store here in the Philippines that carries Pentax as one of the brands. As a matter of fact, it is the only camera chain store that carries Pentax. However, Pentax is being overshadowed by other brands that it carries. I believe Pentax will have to make a move through online business. However, promoting the brand would be very challenging these days.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 12-15-2020 at 02:49 AM.
12-15-2020, 03:18 AM   #22
Pentaxian

One problem in Australia is that the best deals on Pentax are usually through the Pentax Webstore, run by the distributors CRK. This is especially true if you are willing to wait for one of their regular 15%-off sales. The bricks-and-mortar retailers (Digidirect, Teds, Georges, Michaels, etc) can't or won't match those prices any more, so why bother stocking the brand? I used to regularly buy from Digidirect when they were competitive, but I doubt I ever will again.

12-15-2020, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
That's a great idea except for the fact that Pentax has no new gear and the rumors are that they are sticking with DSLRs. So twenty-tens.
I've owned exclusively Pentax gear since the early 70s. I love the WR on my K-5 as I go into extreme environments twice a year but I'm surly not buying another DSLR when I have my phone and a pocketable Sony RX100 m7. Sad.
This is probably a big part of the problem. When the release pace of new products is so slow like it is for Pentax products. It is going to be long between the sales in the local camera stores too, so they do not see much advantage in carrying Pentax brand. The overhead cost may become too high compared to what they may earn. And if they have to increase margins, most people will buy online instead.

For us existing Pentax users it may not be a big deal for only having online stores, but for new users it may be an advantage with a local camera store where you can test the products.

Edit: Up until 4-5 years ago Pentax was available in all 5-6 largest camera stores I have locally. But none of them sell Pentax today.

Last edited by Fogel70; 12-15-2020 at 05:38 AM.
12-15-2020, 05:41 AM   #24
Pentaxian

The problem with online stores is, you can't actually check what you're buying until you receive the item. For cameras, it would be nice if you can hold and tryout a demo unit prior to the actual purchase. But the current buying trend of customers now is online. Companies will just have to compete that way.
12-15-2020, 05:45 AM   #25
Forum Member

Great idea and enthusiasm. I think the local camera store went the way of film... unfortunately. I know there is not one within 50 miles of me.
12-15-2020, 05:50 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
Nice idea but not sure if it would work everywhere. .
It doesn't have to work everywhere, just somewhere, for it to have a positive effect. Baby steps.

In my case we do have a local shop, one that used to be a Pentax dealer until a decade ago. I'll make sure they are aware of this camera once I get one in my hands. Talking up the Pentax brand locally is a good idea, and retail shops are only one place to do so. There's Meetup Groups, special events that attract photographers, and fellow shooters you know that have never had an opportunity to use Pentax gear. Let 'em try yours if they show any interest. it doesn't take a lot to make a difference.

Last edited by gatorguy; 12-15-2020 at 06:43 AM.
12-15-2020, 06:26 AM   #27

I'm sure this plan would fit on these panels somehow, but I'm too lazy for that

In all fairness though, I think that online marketing is the way to go, but with the way Pentax has been treated by certain "influencers", I highly doubt many would give it a second glance.
12-15-2020, 07:08 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
The second would be to endorse the brand
I always do that when sharing pictures, even started using hashtags when I started posting on Instagram!
12-15-2020, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Supporting my camera/lens brand of choice?

Absolutely, but chiefly
  • by trying to post pictures that showcase the kind of images and IQ the gear is capable of,
  • by making sure the key EXIFs are intact and accessible, so that the curious viewer will find that the images were taken with Pentax cameras and lenses,
  • in the field and in social situations, by readily but succinctly answering questions about the gear I'm using and why I'm using it,
  • by respectfully raising support issues with the publisher of my RAW conversion software of choice (DxO) and encouraging them to provide that kind of support,
  • by taking my money where my mouth is and buying Pentax where it makes sense for me.
However, I first and foremost try to be a photographer. I don't want to be a missionary, a fanboy, somebody who's desperately trying to peddle a brand or create artificial demand. Hard sell has never been the road to really persuade me, quite the contrary, and therefore I rarely use it on other people.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-15-2020 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Thought added.
12-15-2020, 08:56 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
I think the best to help, is to buy something!
Right right