Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2020, 04:15 AM   #91

Nice idea but it is difficult for places/ countries where Pentax has no presence.
And the pace that Ricoh makes new models doesn't help unfortunately.

Personally, I wish I had a higher budget to buy more equipment.

12-22-2020, 06:36 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stepen Quote
Nice idea but it is difficult for places/ countries where Pentax has no presence.
And the pace that Ricoh makes new models doesn't help unfortunately.

Personally, I wish I had a higher budget to buy more equipment.
A higher budget would be nice, but as my DA 18-135 and AD 55-300 PLM keep chugging along, there's really not much that I need. Most of the new gear is too expensive so I can't afford it, or too heavy so I don't want it.
12-23-2020, 12:21 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A higher budget would be nice, but as my DA 18-135 and AD 55-300 PLM keep chugging along, there's really not much that I need. Most of the new gear is too expensive so I can't afford it, or too heavy so I don't want it.
I could have written this word for word. I have a few zooms and four limiteds, all pre loved! They cover most things nicely. My wish list is empty, my "wouldn't mind" list has two entries that are reasonably affordable (sub £400). I don't waste my time dreaming of lenses that cost more than both my camera bodies combined
12-24-2020, 05:45 AM   #94
Pentaxian

When I'm out for a photo trip I'd normally have my 18-135 attached to my k-3II, a 10-20 attached to my k-5II and in my bag would be the HD 55-300 and the 100mm macro. Now at times, I think that's too much weight.

12-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like heavy gear.it makes me feel that I have a tool in my hands and not a handkerchief. A,heavy lens is preferable for an old shaking hand
12-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
I like heavy gear.it makes me feel that I have a tool in my hands and not a handkerchief. A,heavy lens is preferable for an old shaking hand
That is a reason to use a K-3 instead of a point and shoot. Once you get to 4/3 sensors, I'm not so sure that's still an issue. It's easier for me to get images with my DA 55-300 PLM than it is with my DA*200, DA*60-250, or Tamron 300 2.8. Once you hit a certain weight it's harder to steady the heavier lenses. I''m guessing this is personal issue without a universal solution.

Last edited by normhead; 12-24-2020 at 10:48 AM.
12-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #97
Pentaxian

I've experimented with my Pentax 60-250 and much (much) lighter Tamron 70-300. I can take steadier photos with the Tamron, and it's not close.

12-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I’m always amazed at my 55/300 on the KP. Ridiculous slow speeds hand held.

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-25-2020, 02:14 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a reason to use a K-3 instead of a point and shoot. Once you get to 4/3 sensors, I'm not so sure that's still an issue. It's easier for me to get images with my DA 55-300 PLM than it is with my DA*200, DA*60-250, or Tamron 300 2.8. Once you hit a certain weight it's harder to steady the heavier lenses. I''m guessing this is personal issue without a universal solution.
Of cource there is an upper limit, i dont know where mine is because I probably wont buy more gear, enough is enough. I hope that the repaired k30 and kp will last lon enough
12-25-2020, 03:22 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of cource there is an upper limit, i dont know where mine is because I probably wont buy more gear, enough is enough. I hope that the repaired k30 and kp will last lon enough
I find using the 55-300mm on the KP is the edge of happy carrying. It is manageable but I use a monopod with it more often than not. Length of lens plays a big part. If the majority of the weight is close to the body I can manage heavier kit. I find using the 55-300 on the K3 a bit easier because of the deeper grip. Tying it back in with the original post, Pentax have a great history for making wonderful compact, mid range, affordable lenses. I am far more likely to buy a new limited lens (Size/price) than a star lens, despite the increase in IQ. For now though I will stick to buying other peoples pre loved limiteds so they can afford the new star lens, which I can then enjoy vicariously
01-11-2021, 12:25 AM - 3 Likes   #101

It used to be I could easily nudge people towards Pentax with the allure of how cheap it was to get into the system, and how much better featured the cameras where at their price points.

Now, well. I don't think the future of Pentax is in our hands. It's in Ricoh's hands. And Ricoh has decided that Pentax is a Premium Brand. The rumoured price for the K3 iii is $1,900 USD. You can buy a 26mp Full-Frame Canon for $300 less. The Tamron 70-210 f4 the Pentax lens is built on was On sale for $400 in December And without Pentax logos is on average $200 cheaper when on any non-pentax mount. To top it off, new lenses from the third parties, which are finally at a level of quality that it's really hard to by any means say they're bad, Don't come in Pentax K mount. The newer Sigma 70-200 and 120-300 lenses look fantastic. Only Nikon, Canon and Sigma mount. The Tamron 70-200mm G2 SP is fantastic. Canon and Nikon only.

Look. I love my K-1. But I'm not going to be able to sell anyone on the new Pentax Cameras; not even the now aging K-70 or KP, because the lens support is more or less a handful of old stock, 2012-2015 lenses from 3rd parties back when they where still... not exactly great, and the not-really-bargain priced first party offerings. Like, yes. The Pentax 70-200 D FA f2.8 is $200 cheaper then the Canon equivalent. But there's so many Canon systems and users that finding one for a little over $1000 is childs play, where, let us be real... The best you'll find for Pentax used is a 20 year old FA Lens that doesn't hold up any more for around $1000.

We're at the point where even the nice, shiny Medium format is losing users. The one person I knew who'd been using the system for the last 10 years, had bought the 645z New... Jumped ship because of lack of lens support.

I've stuck with Pentax because I like futzing with old m42 lenses - My friend wanted something small, powerful and flexible, so I nudged him to Fuji.

No. It's not in our hands. It's in Ricohs. And Ricoh shouldn't be depending on us to push for the survival of their brand. They refuse to advertise. They've sat by and barely pushed any products for the last Four Years. They've not reached out to try and gain any following. The amount of reviews and videos and commentary on new lenses and new camera bodies has been practically non-existent. There was an initial wave of interest with the K-1, and they did nothing to try and retain that momentum - We didn't even have a 50mm prime for the K-1 until two years later. That's on them. Not the few thousand of us in this forum.

I'll leave you with the reminder that brands are not your friends. They do not care about you beyond metrics. You gain nothing by being loyal to them. Loyalty to a brand is foolish; A brand is not a person, it does not care if you choose another brand. Don't waste your time doing leg work from them for free; you get nothing for it. Pentax is no different. I want them to do better, but I, the poor photographer, doesn't need to help a 20 billion dollar company for free, and neither should you.
01-11-2021, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
Look. I love my K-1. But I'm not going to be able to sell anyone on the new Pentax Cameras
Well said. I cannot disagree with a single word you said in your post. I totally put the burden of this mess on Ricoh's shoulders. They had so many opportunities 645Z, K1, GR to take the bull by the horn but they decided to sleep walk through this super competitive imaging business. I have bought plenty of Pentax gear at what used to be reasonable prices. In all honesty I cannot recommend their current stuff to anyone. I do not need their hate mail for the rest of my life!!

I would invest in the brand more if things were looking up. A $1,900 APS-c body? I don't think so. I got into the Fuji system for mainly my video needs. The X-T4 will work circles around the K3III for less money. It would match the still image quality and blow away the K3II in video capabilities. And I am supposed to be loyal to Ricoh, do their dirty work, and tell my family and friends to buy into a dying brand. I don't think so. I want to clarify my comments before the moderators and other forum members try to chew my head off. My love affair with Pentax goes back some 40 years! I have bought close to $10k worth of their DSLR gear just in the past few years. So I do not hate the brand. They are simply not competitive anymore, in price and in capabilities.
01-11-2021, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote

I would invest in the brand more if things were looking up. A $1,900 APS-c body? I don't think so. I got into the Fuji system for mainly my video needs. The X-T4 will work circles around the K3III for less money. It would match the still image quality and blow away the K3II in video capabilities. And I am supposed to be loyal to Ricoh, do their dirty work, and tell my family and friends to buy into a dying brand. I don't think so. I want to clarify my comments before the moderators and other forum members try to chew my head off. My love affair with Pentax goes back some 40 years! I have bought close to $10k worth of their DSLR gear just in the past few years. So I do not hate the brand. They are simply not competitive anymore, in price and in capabilities.

What a load of nonsense about a camera you have not seen, not handled or even had the complete specification set published yet. ....or the price for that matter....

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 01-11-2021 at 02:27 PM.
01-11-2021, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #104
Pentaxian

Video??? Pentax isn’t a video camera with still capabilities.

Hang up and DRIVE!
01-11-2021, 11:42 AM - 3 Likes   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can buy a 26mp Full-Frame Canon for $300 less.
You're correct -- it is possible to buy a full-frame camera at a lower price. Are you referring to the EOS 6D Mk II, which sells for, what, USD $1,400? That's a pretty good price, I'd say, although it was introduced in 2017.

Even less expensive is the Canon RP, which retails for USD $999. However, the camera is weak in some areas. For example, it omits IBIS; it has sub-par dynamic range; the burst shooting mode is relatively low at 5fps; it's got poor battery life and limited video features. Furthermore, it's mirrorless, which has disadvantages compare to a DSLR.

In general, a premium will be paid for full-frame lenses compared to their APS-C counterparts, so the overall cost of a Canon full-frame system would be higher than a comparable APS-C system.

The newer Sigma 70-200 and 120-300 lenses look fantastic.
The Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 seems to be rated highly, which should be expected for a lens that costs USD $3,600.

because the lens support is more or less a handful of old stock, 2012-2015 lenses from 3rd parties back when they where still... not exactly great,
Not sure what you mean here, but I think that you're not fully up to date on the current range of Pentax lenses.

The best you'll find for Pentax used is a 20 year old FA Lens that doesn't hold up any more for around $1000.
And yet, recently sold, used: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8: D-FA* 70-200 f2.8 AW - PentaxForums.com

We're at the point where even the nice, shiny Medium format is losing users. The one person I knew who'd been using the system for the last 10 years, had bought the 645z New... Jumped ship because of lack of lens support.
A sample of one. Do you know of any others?

They refuse to advertise.
What sort of advertisement would be appropriate in your view? There is sufficient presence online that there should be no excuse for a prospective buyer not knowing about the brand. Well, laziness might be one excuse. Or, following the herd.

Don't waste your time doing leg work from them for free; you get nothing for it.
But didn't you do some leg work for Fujifilm when you nudged your friend toward that brand?

I totally put the burden of this mess on Ricoh's shoulders.
It's not clear to which mess you refer.

A $1,900 APS-c body?
Nikon offers their D500 for USD $1,500 -- 20% cheaper, but it's now five years old. Seems that the new Pentax will introduce an impressive capability.

The X-T4 will work circles around the K3III for less money. It would match the still image quality and blow away the K3II in video capabilities.
Would you please give us a rationale for this statement? I don't think that you know the full feature set and performance of the K-3 Mark III.

I want to clarify my comments before the moderators and other forum members try to chew my head off.
No chewing. Just trying to understand the logic in your post.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-11-2021 at 12:40 PM.