Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #1

Pentax Digital sytem - see the red camera system

I know tis will get moved but .... I'll try here since it could be the future of the pentax line up and possible med format system ....

has everyone seen this
A New RED Camera Announced -- Customizable High Definition Video / Still Camera | Digital Camera Review

the whole set up looks like the ole med formant and LX systems of old wigh interchangeable backs and handles of old

maybe this is the future of the medium format system we've been waiting for

11-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
I know tis will get moved but .... I'll try here since it could be the future of the pentax line up and possible med format system ....

has everyone seen this
A New RED Camera Announced -- Customizable High Definition Video / Still Camera | Digital Camera Review

the whole set up looks like the ole med formant and LX systems of old wigh interchangeable backs and handles of old

maybe this is the future of the medium format system we've been waiting for
Like Lego for grown ups or the most expensive Meccano set ever released.

In the professional film world, RED has caused quite a stir. The short WWI short that Peter Jackson shot was unbelieveable to watch shot on this brand of camera.

There are going to be waves generated by this one, but not in the enthusiast market most of us dwell in.
11-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's still their "DSLR-Killer" waiting in the wings for announcement sometime in 2009, apparently, apart from these remarkable offerings...

Either way, as much as this stuff sounds absolutely godly, so are the prices...
11-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

my friend already started saving for this system.

11-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Does he do video or is he a still photographer?
11-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
the more i look at it

the more i look at ti it reminds me of the med format systems or the old days. you bought the body of choice the your VF, backs and lenses the the handle if you did hand held. imagine a Digital645/6x7/35FF/etc system from pentax mix and match the pieces you want shoot video or stills what ever you needed for the day for what ever client or job ....
11-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd rahter buy a Lexus and a new K30D
11-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't see that component system idea trickling down to anything less than medium format photography. I'd love to see a digital back that is independent of the other hardware, but it simply isn't cost-effective. The closest I imagine being feasible is non-user-replaceable sensor and processor module. The module would basically be on one card, so a tech can pluck it out while giving the camera a CLA and replace it with a newer one. But to sell that, a company would need to give up a large number of sales of new cameras. Such a move would, of course, reduce the second-hand market for bodies, which might be one of Pentax's problems (that they don't profit from second-hand sales) because Pentaxians tend to be pragmatic and will consider buying and istD rather than a K20. So, possibly, building a lens/body/sensor ecosystem would make sense for Pentax competing in a lens/body market. But I doubt it.