Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
There's a KX and a K-x so it wouldn't be anything new for Pentax to repurpose a name.

K-1 III could be interesting though, if pricey. If it follows the trend of using the same sensor to Nikon but at a lower price point, then I'd imagine it could be a 45Mpixel monster like the D850, but with Pentax way of doing things and a more affordable price point.
I think more affordable price point is a concept we should mentally prepare ourselves for the demise of.

02-27-2021, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
24mp doesn't make sense in an FF camera. Particularly for a company that excels in image quality. FF for the sake of it is not the Pentax way.
02-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
24mp doesn't make sense in an FF camera.
Probably not for a Ricoh product.However,Sony$ have 12 and 24mp current bodies(recent releases)Nikon have 2 recent releases as well.Panasonic/Sigma all 24mp.

Canon have 2 different FFs at 20mp.

So plenty of choice "down there" in lower resolution land!
02-27-2021, 11:03 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
24mp doesn't make sense in an FF camera. Particularly for a company that excels in image quality. FF for the sake of it is not the Pentax way.
But it might for high ISO performance. That's why Canon has its 20MP 1DX series and its 51mp 5DS.

I personally don't have much need for a 36mp image, and since I shoot raw, they would fill my hard drive pretty quickly, but the main reason I'd consider upgrading to a FF camera is for better high ISO performance.

A 24mp FF camera would interest me, as it shouldn't give me bigger raw files, but should offer considerably better low light performance than a 24mp APS-C sensor.

Of course the kind of use for this kind of camera is likely to be sports, wildlife, etc, so it would need excellent AF to match the ISO performance, and there'd need to be some long lenses.

02-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

But it might for high ISO performance. That's why Canon has its 20MP 1DX series and its 51mp 5DS.

I personally don't have much need for a 36mp image, and since I shoot raw, they would fill my hard drive pretty quickly, but the main reason I'd consider upgrading to a FF camera is for better high ISO performance.

A 24mp FF camera would interest me, as it shouldn't give me bigger raw files, but should offer considerably better low light performance than a 24mp APS-C sensor.

Of course the kind of use for this kind of camera is likely to be sports, wildlife, etc, so it would need excellent AF to match the ISO performance, and there'd need to be some long lenses.
There would also need to be enough customers to make it either worthwhile to do at a lower price point or enough customers willing to buy it at a higher price point.
I think Pentax is being pretty clear, they see the performance side of photography as belonging to APS-C and the high IQ side belonging to full frame or larger.
Pentax doesn't have enough market share to be able to slice and dice it for specific photographers.
03-01-2021, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

24 Mp on a FF-sensor can help with high ISO noise, but actually - in reality the differences are minimal if there at all.
Just comparing the K-1II at low light high ISO to the two low MP offerings of CaNi...
Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

There is not more detail nor less noise to a downsampled 36 Mp image.

If first reports of the K-3III high ISO capabilities are any indication (they say it even surpasses the FF sensor by one EV) then a new generation of the Pentax pipeline with a high resolution BSI-FF sensor might clearly surpass the now available 24 Mp sensors in high ISO. There would be no advantage of the low resolution sensor. Except they show one with significant progress. Until then you can always use a downsampled higher resolution with practically the same result.
09-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I think the OP was alluding to a cheaper more basic FF as the K-2, rather than a refresh of the K1ii. I am not sure whether or not that would be a smart marketing move, but there is certainly space in the lineup if the K1iii ends up being a very expensive 45MP beast with all the bells and whistles inherited from the K3iii.

As for APS-C, the K3iii has the KP and K-70 beneath it, so that line is looking well-filled.
KP is discontinued isn't it?

09-30-2021, 03:21 PM   #53
Pentaxian

24 mp would mean lower iq? Since when? There are large format digital cameras with 8 mp right now and the files are gorgeous.

There are a couple advantages to lower mp count.

1. The sensors are cheaper since they've been around longer. Buying an old product in bulk would be good for margins.

2. Lower size means more shots before buffer. Also better on space but that's negligible.

3. A smaller MP count likely means less heat I'd imagine. Probably better for longer exposures and such but I can't be too sure.

4. Gives you bigger pixels for the surface area.
10-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
24 mp would mean lower iq? Since when? There are large format digital cameras with 8 mp right now and the files are gorgeous.

There are a couple advantages to lower mp count.

1. The sensors are cheaper since they've been around longer. Buying an old product in bulk would be good for margins.

2. Lower size means more shots before buffer. Also better on space but that's negligible.

3. A smaller MP count likely means less heat I'd imagine. Probably better for longer exposures and such but I can't be too sure.

4. Gives you bigger pixels for the surface area.
Nice ideas that will not happen.