Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 01:13 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-1 II is only a couple of years old, which is not long for a FF model. And it still provides a huge repertoire of desirable aspects for superior imaging, as well as excellent design features, with a very fine build quality- all that at an attractive price. I don't think embarking on a new design for a stripped-down FF model to slip in beneath the flagship would bring enough interest to be worthwhile. Look how long it has been in developing the K-3 III, even taking the pandemic slowdown into account. The K-3 III will be what long-time K-3 II owners have been looking for as an upgrade, and some longer-time K-5 series owners as well. Its position as the next Pentax APS-C flagship will be well-filled, offering meaningful improvements over the old flagship.

12-23-2020, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Well, the Pentax model so far has been to give them odd model numbers
You can say that again!
12-23-2020, 01:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The K-1 II is only a couple of years old, which is not long for a FF model. And it still provides a huge repertoire of desirable aspects for superior imaging, as well as excellent design features, with a very fine build quality- all that at an attractive price. I don't think embarking on a new design for a stripped-down FF model to slip in beneath the flagship would bring enough interest to be worthwhile. Look how long it has been in developing the K-3 III, even taking the pandemic slowdown into account
True, but they did say that they had always intended the main novel feature of the K-1ii to be in the original K-1, they just didn't have it ready in time - so, in a way, you have to go back to the K-1 as the last FF release in terms of development times. I agree that a stripped down FF only makes sense when a new high-end FF is released, though.
12-23-2020, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I think the OP was alluding to a cheaper more basic FF as the K-2, rather than a refresh of the K1ii. I am not sure whether or not that would be a smart marketing move, but there is certainly space in the lineup if the K1iii ends up being a very expensive 45MP beast with all the bells and whistles inherited from the K3iii.

As for APS-C, the K3iii has the KP and &-70 beneath it, so that line is looking well-filled.
"Cheaper" of course is relative. I could also see the next flagship FF Pentax as being much more expensive than the K-1ii, if for no other reason than the K-3iii pricing has ratcheted things up considerably. That would leave room for a "cheaper" second-tier FF Pentax (ie around the current price of the K-1ii), and the nomenclature would have to reflect that. I'm not sure what "more basic" might mean in that context.

12-23-2020, 02:25 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If there is another FF body soon, my guess would be a K-1 III. They'll just keep the K-3 for APS-C and K-1 for FF and add a number at the end to differentiate. I II III IV V
Sounds logical. It depends on the market targets. Idk why Pentax is “stuck” in odd numbers.
12-23-2020, 06:32 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I was speculating of course

FF flagship K1 III (d850 ish)
FF enthusiest K2 ?? ( D780 ish)
APC flagship k3-III
APC enthusiest KP

Looks ok to me.
12-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote

APC flagship k3-III
APC enthusiest KP

Looks ok to me.
Why does Pentax have to do anything nikon-ish

That is not what has sustained them to this point

12-23-2020, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #23
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I think K1 I & II will fill the FF enthusiest slot once we have K1 III for those who need, want and/or can affort it. I don't see market postition for an other model in there.
12-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

APC flagship k3-III
APC enthusiest KP

Looks ok to me.
I guess my original question was, would a K-2 work in the existing line up without a K1 mark 3 upgrade.
12-23-2020, 06:49 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I think your idea made a lot more sense before we knew they'd developed possibly the best pentaprism ever. Now that we know that, it seems obvious to me that they'll want to put that in a full frame body while it's still fresh, and this likely won't then be a "budget" model.
12-23-2020, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So while some people were surprised by the name of the K3-III. Myself not being one of them.

This leaves room for a FF K2 below the K1 mark III. Not sure how soon this might happen, preferably before the next K1 update. Clearly it wouldn't have the next gen autofocus but I would be Okay with some concessions. I think the is still a demand for this camera.

Who has the top secret info? Spill the beans.
I think it is likely - in the fullness of time. The naming points in that direction. It doesn't take much imagination to guess that the K-1II replacement will be called K1III. It makes room for a K-2. The K-1 series will move upmarket; I am pretty sure about that. A K-2 might be a smaller FF camera tuned for image quality, I don't think Pentax will save on that account, and less for speed and/or general gizmos. I also believe that both the K-70 and the KP may be replaced by one "entry" level body leaving Pentax with a four body K-mount line-up; two APS and two FF.
12-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I think it is likely - in the fullness of time. The naming points in that direction. It doesn't take much imagination to guess that the K-1II replacement will be called K1III. It makes room for a K-2. The K-1 series will move upmarket; I am pretty sure about that. A K-2 might be a smaller FF camera tuned for image quality, I don't think Pentax will save on that account, and less for speed and/or general gizmos. I also believe that both the K-70 and the KP may be replaced by one "entry" level body leaving Pentax with a four body K-mount line-up; two APS and two FF.
The price of entry will inevitably go up.

I’m trying to imagine what “tuned for image quality” might entail, but I can’t think of anything other than another sensor. The K-1iii (or whatever) would probably be getting a next-generation sensor and a price to match, so perhaps a lower-cost FF might have a lower pixel-count sensor for better low light performance.
12-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-02; A K-01-like mirrorless body with a k-mount (and doesn't look like a baby's toy this time) meets existing K-1 sensor and related hardware to form a mirrorless full frame Pentax digital camera with greater support for video. Development costs are reduced vs. making a whole new camera and there's a 36mpix full frame body that won't cannibalize sales from the K-1 III which updates the sensor and other stuff.

There I said it, Christmas is saved, everyone will be happy with this.
12-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
K-02; A K-01-like mirrorless body with a k-mount (and doesn't look like a baby's toy this time) meets existing K-1 sensor and related hardware to form a mirrorless full frame Pentax digital camera with greater support for video. Development costs are reduced vs. making a whole new camera and there's a 36mpix full frame body that won't cannibalize sales from the K-1 III which updates the sensor and other stuff.

There I said it, Christmas is saved, everyone will be happy with this.
You left out the EVF, or was that deliberate to keep the cost down?
12-23-2020, 12:00 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by STARHUNTER94 Quote
Possibly - I feel like that'll start to get confusing. I also feel like Pentax has a chance at undercutting the competition in APS-C land and all their resources are likely tied up with that and the new lenses.
I think that’ll be a real challenge considering the price point of the k3iii, and the small collection of modern lenses for it compared to the competition. Fuji will be a stiff competitor in this format, offering a large spread of newer glass, excellent AF, and dozens of other features, not to mention the wide range of bodies and price points. If Pentax intends to undercut the competition, they’d better dust off their marketing chops and start promoting the hell out of this thing. What’s the value proposition? If a photographer is considering a new brand, why the K3iii from Pentax? What does it offer that CaNikon doesn’t in a crop dslr? Why should someone consider a dslr over Fuji or Sony’s mirrorless offerings?

If some of the features perform as well or better than expected, hopefully they can build some momentum by rolling them into other bodies to expand their portfolio somewhat. They have an uphill climb to gain market share or even maintain what they currently have, but I sure do love rooting for an underdog and hope they’ve got some tricks up their sleeve to build on their strengths.