Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2020, 09:25 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They said it...

Not a bash on mirrorless as I now own lumix, but pentax pro level DSLRs are seriously rugged.

Some of the Most Rugged Cameras Are DSLRs - Here's 5 To Consider

12-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice!
12-23-2020, 11:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can we just take a moment to admire that site's domain name?

I mean, I'm all for a good play on words, but "phoblographer." Really??? Lol
12-24-2020, 01:43 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
Not a bash on mirrorless as I now own lumix, but pentax pro level DSLRs are seriously rugged.

Some of the Most Rugged Cameras Are DSLRs - Here's 5 To Consider
I'm hopeful that the Nikon Z6/7 and EOS R5 can restore some level of respect to mirrorless toughness. Honestly I've used most of those cameras on the list; the only one I would trust to travel from Greenland to the Sahara to the Antarctic is the K1 and K1-II. It's hard to describe, the others feel rugged, but the K1-II feels like I can stick to mother nature and smash that shutter button like nothing is happening. Honestly wish there are more AW lenses though, only the 70-200 2.8, 50mm 1.4, and 85mm 1.4 are designated AW D FA lenses I think.

12-24-2020, 03:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Four CanoNikons and -obviously- a Pentax ? No Fuji , no MFTs ??
12-24-2020, 03:18 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Can we just take a moment to admire that site's domain name?

I mean, I'm all for a good play on words, but "phoblographer." Really??? Lol
Vietnamese noodles writer?
12-24-2020, 05:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have not heard good things about robustness or effective weather sealing on any Canon DSLR bar the very top of the line pro sports ones.

12-24-2020, 05:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've seen the Nikon D3 abuse in YouTube. However I don't think I'd like to carry all that weight. And with its cost? I wouldn't like to have have. If I'm going FF, I'm sticking with Pentax.
12-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keos Quote
Honestly wish there are more AW lenses though, only the 70-200 2.8, 50mm 1.4, and 85mm 1.4 are designated AW D FA lenses I think.
The HD D FA 150-450 is AW.
The DA* 200 and 300 are AW and considered FF.
The same is true for the DA 560.

There are a couple of WR lenses as well but those aren’t as well sealed as AW.
12-24-2020, 07:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Four CanoNikons and -obviously- a Pentax ? No Fuji , no MFTs ??
The Fujis and Olympuses I've handled have not felt especially sturdy, but I haven't tried the latest top-end models.

Pentax users are spoiled in this regard, as even moderately-priced models like the K-70 have a pleasingly durable heft and feel.
12-24-2020, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The K-3 family is nigh indistructible as well as I have put mine through ridiculous abuse and it hasn't missed a beat.
If you read the article closely, it pretty much admits the K-1 is the toughest thing around.
12-24-2020, 09:47 AM   #12
Lev
Veteran Member

Guys, how do you think, or have you seen some info where Pentax claims that zoom AW lenses, like 60-250 are as well rugged as prime lenses? Because, as all we know, zoom lenses that extend from its barrel tend to be more vulnerable against dust and moisture.
12-24-2020, 09:55 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that this type of article should be read with caution.

While the anecdotes expressed in the article are probably true and are similar to other stories we've seen, its general tone is questionable. No doubt, the cameras can and do work under extreme conditions, but the article doesn't give any credible evidence of their superior ruggedness or environmental protection. Simply holding or using a camera cannot reveal anything definitive about its build quality or survivability -- especially for internal construction -- and individual instances of functioning in rain or adverse conditions is not a basis for a general conclusion.

There's also a level of hyperbole that is suited, I suppose, for this type of article that's intended to attract 'clicks'. The K-1 for example, is claimed to be "so tough and well built that if you dropped it, the floor would probably break." Also, "If you want ultimate durability, exceptional battery life, and stellar image quality, these are the five rugged cameras (DSLRs) we’ve reviewed that you should reach for." This seems to be a 'Buy Now' marketing pitch and an opinion piece.

We've seen accounts of water damage in Pentax cameras and also of serious physical damage in cameras that have been dropped or otherwise mishandled, although the root causes of the failures are not always clear. These cameras are certainly well-built, but none of them is 'rated' for moisture protection or physical ruggedness. It's important to handle and use your cameras carefully.

Nonetheless, it's good to see the Pentax K-1 II recognized for its quality.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-24-2020 at 09:21 PM.
12-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple of years ago someone posted shooting pictures with his 645Z at the grand canyon when a storm hit. Everyone else ran for their cars. I love storm pictures. And Pentax.
12-24-2020, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I think that this type of article should be read with caution.

While the anecdotes expressed in the article are probably true and are similar to other stories we've seen, its general tone is questionable. No doubt, the cameras can and do work under extreme conditions, but the article doesn't give any credible evidence of their superior ruggedness or environmental protection. Simply holding or using a camera cannot reveal anything definitive about its build quality or survivability -- especially for internal construction -- and individual instances of functioning in rain or adverse conditions is not a basis for a general conclusion.

There's also a level of hyperbole that is suited, I suppose, for this type of article that's intended to attract 'clicks'. The K-1 for example, is claimed to be "so tough and well built that if you dropped it, the floor would probably break." Also, "If you want ultimate durability, exceptional battery life, and stellar image quality, these are the five rugged cameras (DSLRs) we’ve reviewed that you should reach for." This seems to be a 'Buy Now' marketing pitch and an opinion piece.

We've seen accounts of water damage in Pentax cameras and also of serious physical damage in cameras that have been dropped or otherwise mishandled, although the root causes of the failures are not always clear. These cameras are certainly well-built, but none of them is 'rated' for moisture protection or physical ruggedness. It's important to handle and use your cameras carefully.

Nonetheless, it's good to see the Pentax K-1 II recognized for its quality.

- Craig
Given the warranty doesn’t cover moisture inside the cameras I tend to agree.

I dropped one of my k-3s from desk height onto a wood floor (over a crawl space not a slab) and the fa 35 was toast as it took the brunt of the fall damage but the k-3 was unharmed. Does this mean I’ll drop it without fear? No no no!