Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2020, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think that landscape photography is a hard place to make a living in.
Amen to that. I have been trying to get people to pay for my work for years. Everyone loves them but hardly anyone is willing to pay for prints these days. I always thought that the work had to be spectacular, I mean one in a million for it to be commercially successful. I always hear from even my pro friends that I should sell my work but I think they are trying to be kind. One thing I found out is that promotion can do wonders. I always thought I had "A" quality but sucked at promotion. And I have seen so many "B" quality with ace promotion leading to making money for the photographer. It is a funny game. There is no telling who would be successful and why.

12-26-2020, 06:38 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Erich_H, you know it is a thankless job! I am the "pro" after all and should be a mind reader and guarantor!! If you recommend something and they are happy you never hear from them. God forbid if you tell them to get something and they find out that it is not the latest and greatest, you never hear the end of it. I love my Pentax gear. They are built like a tank and they deliver every time. I own Fuji gear too but I cannot say they are as solid as my Pentax stuff.

I think K3III would be a solid platform for anyone wanting pro class gear. But you have to remember too that with a kit lens, we will be talking about around $2,300-2,400. Not exactly cheap or beginner price range.
I know what you mean! Believe me!

But a very simple way to get to the "end of it" is to propose that they actually buy something from you, for real money!

Just as a for instance, selling your K-3. Obviously at a premium price, because of the training that is included. Nothing is free in this world. Then you can get the K-3III.

And because you recommended something that you can stand for, at the beginning of it all, it's no big sacrifice to trade the object in. At a good price from where you stand, of course!

If they go for it, great! If not, you're not hearing more from them. Good riddance, in that case...

Also I am totally with you on Pentax! But instead of Fuji gear, I've got Olympus. Good stuff, but not on the same level as Pentax!

Best wishes and a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Cheers/Erik

Last edited by Erich_H; 12-26-2020 at 06:56 PM.
12-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
But a very simple way to get to the "end of it" is to propose that they actually buy something from you, for real money!
I would sell them my stuff at giveaway prices. But then you are accused of giving them your junk stuff! I rather they go spend the big bucks and not accuse me of giving them my "rejects." I would give the stuff to my brother which I have done in the past. I gave him my first K5IIs. He photographed his two kids with great success. At the end he needed video and a good tracking autofocus system. That is why I got him a Sony a6000 with the kit lens. He loved it a lot but soon after started using his iPhone and the Sony started collecting dust on the shelves. He gave it back to me saying he does not need it anymore. I took it back and borrowed another one from a friend and shot my first paid corporate video gig! At least it was not a total waste of money!

Best wishes and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you and your loved ones too my friend.

Cheers/Boris