Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jupio battery

Has anyone ever used the JUPIO battery for a DLI109 replacement?? It has higher mAh (1100 to 1050 for Pentax), 8.1 wh to 7.8wh for Pentax, and both Pentax and Jupio are 7.4v. Would these differing #s help battery life or burn out the electronics?? I am not an engineer, so these things confuse me!! Thank you!!

P.S. I saw the Jupio battery at B&H with no reviews.

12-27-2020, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve used wasabi on Pentax and found it ok. Every 3rd party battery I’ve used on any camera has claimed higher mah but delivered lower actual use.
12-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’ve used wasabi on Pentax and found it ok. Every 3rd party battery I’ve used on any camera has claimed higher mah but delivered lower actual use.
That echoes my experience. My Wasabis typically gave me 2/3 the shooting time of my genuine Pentax batteries. And the Wasabis also have much shorter total lifespan.
I have two Wasabi Li190 clones which have recently packed it in after ~15,000 shots, while my original Li190 is still going strong and still gives 2-3hrs+ shooting
time while running the LCD screen.

Has anyone actually measured the output of these third party batteries?
12-27-2020, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #4

I have one, and can't recommend it. It won't damage camera, as it is compatible, but it just does not last enough. For me it lasts only half of what my othe non brand-battery - Hahnel - lasts. And Hahnel cannot compete with original Pentax battery. Long story short I have bought second Pentax original battery to ensure enough power during a day.

12-27-2020, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
It has higher mAh (1100 to 1050 for Pentax), 8.1 wh to 7.8wh for Pentax, and both Pentax and Jupio are 7.4v. Would these differing #s help battery life or burn out the electronics??
Some battery specs and math:

The voltage is what counts, and even that varies rather a fair amount over the course of charging/discharging a battery. A fully-charged one of these batteries (assuming it is in good shape) measures around 8.3-8.4 Volts. At end of useful service on a charge, the voltage is down to bit below 7.0 V . Here's some more discussion on this: Some Pentax D-LI90 Battery Charge/Discharge Measurements - PentaxForums.com showing how the voltage varies during a charge or discharge cycle.

mAh (milli-ampere-hours) and wh (watt hours) are (supposed to be) indicators of how much energy the battery can store, or more usefully, how long it might power your camera. The camera will use the stored energy at whatever rate it needs, by drawing current (measured in milli-Amperes), depending on what it is doing. Suppose, the camera uses a steady 100 mA. Then, in theory, an 1100 mAh battery should run the camera for 11 hours: 100 mA * 11 hours = 1100 mAh .

Watt-hours are an alternate indication of stored energy. In terms of electrical units, a watt is equal to a current of an ampere flowing due to a potential of a volt. So, if our battery is operating at a voltage of 7.4 volts while supplying a current of 100 mA, it is putting out power at a rate of 100mA * 7.4 volts = 0.74 Watts. If, as calculated above, it can do this for 11 hours, then the total energy it can supply, in units of wh, is 0.74 Watts * 11 hours = 8.14 Watt-hours (wh), or essentially the same as the 8.1 wh quoted for your Jupio battery.

Bottom line: any battery that can supply power at around 7.4 volts will be fine with your camera. The mAh or wh just tell you how long it might be able to do it. And, as noted by several folks above, some batteries do better at meeting their mAh specs than others. I tend to concur that genuine Pentax batteries are among the best (and also the most expensive!!).

---------- Post added 12-27-20 at 04:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Has anyone actually measured the output of these third party batteries?
Send me one/some, and I'll give them the treatment referred to above.

Then, I can send them back.

Last edited by AstroDave; 12-27-2020 at 04:24 PM.
12-27-2020, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just buy the Pentax battery and be happy. I had a Wasabi less than a year old swell and got tight inside the camera. Never again!!
12-27-2020, 07:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Just buy the Pentax battery and be happy. I had a Wasabi less than a year old swell and got tight inside the camera. Never again!!
Yikes. I have two and have had them five years without any swelling etc.

12-29-2020, 03:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

A Jupio battery was battery was supplied with my new KP as part of a "bonus package" (SD card, extra battery, case etc. bundle).
That was just over a year ago.
It's now totally u/s
Whilst the battery itself was covered by a guarantee, unfortunately the extra postage costs for a "dangerous lithium battery" made it impractical to make a claim!
Personally, I'll steer clear of Jupio in the future … I've had no problems with Hahnel third-party batteries, but none of them have the same actual usage life of a Pentax original, irrespective of the numbers printed on the labels!

Inevitably, YMMV