Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anamorphic lens adapter

I'm looking for something like the Century widesreen adapter for a 58mm thread lens. Must cost much less.

I remember something in the camera catalogs some years back but can't find. Have tried BHPhoto etc.

Any recommendations.

Thanks,
RON C

03-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm, I may have to spend some time on wikipedia educating myself on this...

I thought the anamorphic widescreen thing was a digital thing to get a widescreen video into a 4:3 format. But I never completely understood it.

Perhaps it makes more sense if your were using a weird fisheye sorta lens adapter that was rectilinear vertically but curved horizontally to put a widescreen FOV onto a normal frame of film.

Is that what you are asking about?

sorry never seen one.
03-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
I thought the anamorphic widescreen thing was a digital thing to get a widescreen video into a 4:3 format. But I never completely understood it.
Anamorphic lenses go way back in the movies - it's not just a video thing. the lens "squishes" a widescreen aspect ratio image into a relatively square frame. Then that's unsquished on display. For 16mm and 35mm (and even Super-8mm in rare cases), you'd shoot with an anamorphic lens and then project with a similar lens on the projector to do the unsquishing.

The idea here is to get a correct-perspective widescreen image, which you wouldn't get with a fisheye, where there's pretty severe distortion. there's a pretty good entry on it at wikipedia: Anamorphic widescreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia