Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Silver Edition of Pentax K-1 Mark II - is it worth it - scratches?

Question -- the Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Camera (Silver Edition) - is it just painted on and so will show scratches way more than the black - or is it just the unpainted metal?

12-28-2020, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think its "just painted on". As for scratches, it depends how precious you are with your gear I suppose - dont get me wrong, I look after mine but it definitely gets used

I bought my Silver K-1 three years and one month ago; it has been to Spain, Portugal, The Canaries, Italy, Malta, all over the UK from Hadrian's wall down to Devon and across to Northern Ireland.
It has been used with zooms, loads of primes and a lot for the monthly Single-in Challenges here on the forums where it is used daily, transported by hiking and cycling as well as in the car. It is also used in the dark for astrophotography.

There are no marks on the upper parts at all. This is the base (which is no worse than any of the black models I have sold on - K-7/5/3):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE (2nd generation)  Photo 
12-28-2020, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You give your camera some fair use. As long as it’s working like a clock, it just gets more experienced. I don’t get why I would want to not leave a single mark , unless it’s gonna be sold.
12-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Answers make me much happier -- an old Pentaxian friend of mine was concerned that if unlike the old K-1000 and MX etc that we owned as younger guys -- that the new ones could not be as robust and could look like crap very quickly.

Mine arrived from B&H today -- of course I am not in the country to get it until next week -- but at least i got in this tax year LOL

12-28-2020, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a silver K-3 (now in the hands of my brother) and now have a silver K-1. And a silver Q7 for that matter. The finish is every bit as robust as the black models. And they look sweet.

I'll be getting my K-3 Mark III in silver without hesitation.
12-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I do not own the silver edition and therefore have no first hand experience. But a look at Pentax K-1 Mark II Silver Edition - Ricoh revealed - quote: The camera body and the detachable battery grip feature a high-grade, fine-textured silver coating.
12-28-2020, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So it’s a “baked” coating. They’re quite robust. And they don’t get scratched easily. I don’t quite like the silver versions but I think it’s a little different on the limited lenses.

12-28-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'll be getting my K-3 Mark III in silver without hesitation.
Me too
12-28-2020, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you want a camera that takes great photos then, unless scratches relate to actual damage, then of course it's worth it.

If you're a collector, or looking to resell, then think twice
12-28-2020, 03:02 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Fwiw.... I have both a black and silver K1... use them a fair bit... treat them the same... silver one doesn't seem to be overly susceptable to being scratched in normal use ..... when buying a KP more recently I got a silver one given how well the sillver K1 is holding up.... however.... I still like black... go figure.

Whats not to like....

Last edited by noelpolar; 12-28-2020 at 03:08 PM.
12-28-2020, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although I recently got my K-1 II in black, I've had my 2 silver KP's for well over 2 years without a mark of any kind on them. I have not found the finish to be easy to damage. But I'm not swinging off a jeep going overland in the outback, firing as I go either. Paying another $300 just to get a silver finish this time was not appealing to me, where the KP was selling for the same either way. Actually, it would have been $400 more, since I'd have to buy the DFA 28-105mm lens separately.

The K-1 in black looks impressively rugged and workman-like, but still very good-looking. The silver finish looks very classy. Looks like the above lens is one from yesteryear, very vintage. It looks great on that K-1. I too have some oldies, like my FA 300mm f/4.5, which is in a virtually same soft brushed silver as my KP bodies, and looks great as well.
12-29-2020, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
the above lens is one from yesteryear, very vintage. It looks great on that K-1.
If I recall correctly, it's a K 50/1.2, given the bespoke treatment by a former member of this Forum from the U.S. capital....
12-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If I recall correctly, it's a K 50/1.2, given the bespoke treatment by a former member of this Forum from the U.S. capital....
Yes it is.... my 85/1.8 I also had done now has a stuck focus ring.... the camera house in the central market have a guy that works on old lenses.... or... I could send it to Eric over in the US.... still deciding.
12-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
the camera house in the central market have a guy that works on old lenses.... or... I could send it to Eric over in the US.... still deciding.
Ron at Twin City Camera House in Rundle Street is pretty good. I didn't know there was anyone in the Central Market....