Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
If you buy a K-70, make sure to use it on a regular basis with KA, KAF or KAF3 lenses to "train" the aperture block.
That is interesting advice. There may be benefit associated with regular use the camera*, but there truly is no training involved. The solenoid fires and the actuator operates (full range with the standard PK in M, X, and B modes) on every shutter cycle whenever a lens with a conductive base (almost all K-mount) is mounted. Solenoid travel is the same regardless of set aperture.

Steve

* There is speculation based on usage patterns of K-30 and K-50 where users on this site with trouble-free copies have generally used their cameras frequently. Whether regular use of those cameras or the K-70 has protective value is hard to say.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-30-2020 at 08:06 AM. Reason: added qualifier
12-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Isn't it more a case of exercising rather than training? It seems reasonable that an electro-mechanical device will keep working smoothly if regularly exercised - this certainly applies to my limbs, and my freezer has been going reliably for over 40 years!

I think that the K-70 aperture mechanism can be exercised without adding to the shutter count by setting an Fx button to be depth of field preview, and pressing it several times regularly (with an auto lens on a small aperture) when the camera is not in regular use. Would this be OK or a waste of time?

Philip
12-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, all food for thought.
12-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
Not sure what you were looking to pay, but SRS have new ones for £450 until 3rd January.
Much as I am a fan of both the K-70 and SRS (from where I bought it just under 2 yrs ago) their current website price is £499 and not £450 (mine was £395 when I bought it!) .

As for ABF and regular use, mine doesn't get that but still seemed to be working fine when I checked it a couple of days ago - then again, I've got another "white" solenoid in the cupboard if it should be needed in the future, and if that should happen then I will ("sort of") happily pay for getting it fitted because it's the "best" DSLR body that I have owned over the years and I love it .

12-29-2020, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Much as I am a fan of both the K-70 and SRS (from where I bought it just under 2 yrs ago) the current SRS website price is £499 and not £450 (mine was £395 when I bought it!) .
But there is another 10% off the £499 until the 3rd Jan.
12-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
But there is another 10% off the £499 until the 3rd Jan.
Where is that extra 10% shown because I can't find it (not that I need/can afford any more photo kit, especially atm)??

Edited: I have now found mention of that extra 10% here on the link from the Pentaxuser site which states that the discount code is "PENTAX10" - now a bit "confused"

At which point, I can only suggest buying one - from SRS as they are a Pentax Pro dealer, and thus you will get a 2 yrs warrantee (unlike on Amazon, etc., etc,)

PS: if you are a member of the Pentaxuser forum and mention your username on that forum in a phone call to SRS, you should get free P&P

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-29-2020 at 02:54 PM.
12-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
I think that the K-70 aperture mechanism can be exercised without adding to the shutter count by setting an Fx button to be depth of field preview, and pressing it several times regularly (with an auto lens on a small aperture) when the camera is not in regular use. Would this be OK or a waste of time?
It may be enough to simply turn the camera on several times a month. I don't have a K-70 handy to me, but I am pretty sure that recent model Pentax dSLRs exercise the aperture control at start-up.

Steve

12-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

If buying used, I always recommend going for a high-durability build level, in excellent condition with a low shutter count. Either a KP or one of the former flagships, preferably the earliest being the excellent K-5 IIs.
12-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
PS: if you are a member of the Pentaxuser forum and mention your username on that forum in a phone call to SRS, you should get free P&P
Name dropper!

Steve
12-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Name dropper!
Steve
"Name dropper" - who, me?

OTOH, sometimes, as above, it "pays"
(that's how I got free P&P on my K-70 from SRS )
12-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
This is what I'm doing when the K-S2 is at rest, in order to preserve the shutter. And yes, you got the word right (exercised, not trained).
12-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
If buying used, I always recommend going for a high-durability build level, in excellent condition with a low shutter count. Either a KP or one of the former flagships, preferably the earliest being the excellent K-5 IIs.
Well, the K-5 had its own durability issue with the lens releases falling off, and of course the original K-5 had the artificial light focusing deficiency. So flagship is not a guarantee, but I'd say is generally more durable in term of cycles. I would not recommend the K-5IIs, because you're paying a premium for its cult-like status. None of the K-5 varieties support KAF4 so you're severely limiting your lens choices. However for someone who has some legacy lenses and isn't impacted much or at all by the artificial light focusing issues, the original K-5 can be a bargain in what seems to be its current mid-$100 (U.S) range for a lightly used copy. I wouldn't want to invest much more in a body that couldn't properly support current lenses.
12-29-2020, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I picked up a K-70 last year for $400 with a 96 shutter count. A few months in it developed aperture block failure. It pissed me off because I had to deal with that issue on my K-S2. But, after I calmed down I bought the white solenoid for $45 or so on eBay and replaced it easy enough. Now I have a K-70 I don't need to worry about. It's a nice camera and pretty reliable except for that one issue which may or may not ever happen to you. If it does...it's an easy diy repair.

12-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just to buck the trend, I used my K30 every day. It still went! If it’s going to fail, it will fail but the fix isn’t an arm and a leg, £125, ok, it’s a pain but cheaper than a replacement. if you like your camera as I did with my K30 just use it and enjoy it. If you are one of the minority and it fails, get it fixed and get back out there.

Footnotes: 2 weeks after I fixed my KP a nearly new K3 fell in my lap for less than £300 but the K30 kept coming out to play until I traded it in for my KP. I still miss that little camera, it was just so easy to use
12-29-2020, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Well, the K-5 had its own durability issue with the lens releases falling off, and of course the original K-5 had the artificial light focusing deficiency.
Don't forget sensor stains and mirror flap!

Steve