Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #1

KP screen resolution

Hi all, I recently got a KP and while I think I love it, I have been having issues trying to fine tune my lenses. PDAF just isn't there yet. I'm coming from a K3ii. One thing I noticed is that when I review the images on the lcd screen they just don't ever seem sharp. Like, way less sharp than my K3ii which didn't have the best screen either. And I don't think it is entirely an lcd thing either. The image just looks bad. When I get it on a computer the images tend to look way sharper. This is true for both raw and jpg. Has anyone else experienced this?

12-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3II has about the same resolution rear LCD as the KP. Do you have a screen protector attached? If you find the LCD inadequate for reviewing your fine tuning attempts, your computer monitor might be an alternative.

Steve

* 1037K dots on a 3.2" vs. 921K dots on the KP's 3" monitor
12-30-2020, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Well, what you see on camera screen is related to JPG settings in camera. You can adjust sharpness in the picture profile to make images appear sharper when viewing them from the LCD.

But if the images appear blurred and misfocused, put the setup on tripod and use manual focus to see that everything works okay. Then switch to AF and see if you need fine tuning.
12-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know the jpg settings make a difference and I'll try that. No screen protector. I did buy this used from Japan so it's always a bit of a puzzle to make sure it's not defective.

Btw, is there a way to set up the preview screen to jump directly from full image to 100%? I realized that with the default settings I have no idea what 100% is and am probably zooming in way too much.

12-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can go to Custom Image menus to adjust sharpness. The normal "Bright" category has sharpness up by one notch as default. You could increase that by one more if you wish, but be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in either case, by using the thumb dial.

I have 2 KP bodies and many lenses, bought new here in the US. No problems. Wonderful camera.
12-30-2020, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
Btw, is there a way to set up the preview screen to jump directly from full image to 100%? I realized that with the default settings I have no idea what 100% is and am probably zooming in way too much.
On my K-5 IIs, it's called Quick Zoom. Go to the menu, playback tab, should be right there, you can choose a magnification level. Then when you review the image, one click on the edial goes right to that magnification. I remember reading that 8x approximates 100% so that's what I use.
12-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
Fantastic! That's what I was looking for. I think I need to do a full calibration of all my most used lenses and give it one more shot. So far I am loving the jpg output which I find much better than K3ii at higher ISOs. Now just to get consistently sharp results and I think this will be a winner!

12-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Btw, is there a way to set up the preview screen to jump directly from full image to 100%?
One click on the zoom should take you to 100% in preview or playback modes.

Steve
12-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I need to do a full calibration of all my most used lenses and give it one more shot.
If the images look sharp on your computer monitor without any post-processing, then your camera is capturing sharp images in its current setup. (It may be that your lenses need calibrating, but this is often a last resort after all the other options have been addressed.) With the situation as you describe it, if I'm understanding correctly, I'm more inclined to suspect a problem with the LCD. These can be susceptible to heat (and cold?) damage.

I have adjusted fine sharpening in the Custom Images profiles (Bright, Natural, etc.) on my KP based on recommendations here on PF. But, before doing so, the images looked fine on the LCD.
12-30-2020, 01:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Do the menus and function icons look clear on your LCD? Is it just images that look unclear?
12-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #11

Original Poster
The function icons look clear enough. I did a little math and 100% would be 5.1x which is close enough to 5.6x which is a preset. Pentax would have been wise to just include 100% in the quick zoom list. But I have been going to 11x and 16x to compare and that seems to be the problem. I don't think this lcd is as good as the K3ii either and collects oils very easily which are hard to get off and affect the image quite a bit more. But in reality, not a big deal now that I know about it. I love the articulating part! Very useful!

I'm pretty sure this camera in particular is severely front focusing with PDAF so I think it will be returned for another copy. Thanks all!
12-30-2020, 04:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far I am loving the jpg output which I find much better than K3ii at higher ISOs.
Yes, the KP's in-camera processing engine is exceptional. Very fine imaging right out of the camera, this is one versatile, well-made, well-designed little beast!
12-31-2020, 06:40 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Completely agree ^^^^^!
01-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #14

Original Poster
So to wrap this one up. I returned the KP. It came used with a different focusing screen in it which had some scratches on it. And most of my lenses needed major AF fine tuning and the lcd screen just annoyed me. The seller sent me a replacement KP and this one I think is a keeper. It came with a standard focusing screen and little fine tuning was needed and the kicker is that the lcd screen actually is much clearer!!! Yeah, I know that's crazy. I had tried to peel off any type of screen protector but couldn't find one. So, my theory and only a theory is that the previous owner just messed with it or maybe used a spray of some kind. In replacing the focusing screen they probably scratched it and knocked the af out. And I'm pretty sure they added some type of protector over the lcd. All's well that ends well. I got a great deal on the thing and it will be a forever camera to keep with th DA limiteds. A match that couldn't be any better.
01-23-2021, 02:10 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So to wrap this one up. I returned the KP. It came used with a different focusing screen in it which had some scratches on it. And most of my lenses needed major AF fine tuning and the lcd screen just annoyed me. The seller sent me a replacement KP and this one I think is a keeper. It came with a standard focusing screen and little fine tuning was needed and the kicker is that the lcd screen actually is much clearer!!! Yeah, I know that's crazy. I had tried to peel off any type of screen protector but couldn't find one. So, my theory and only a theory is that the previous owner just messed with it or maybe used a spray of some kind. In replacing the focusing screen they probably scratched it and knocked the af out. And I'm pretty sure they added some type of protector over the lcd. All's well that ends well. I got a great deal on the thing and it will be a forever camera to keep with th DA limiteds. A match that couldn't be any better.
I'm glad you got a camera that is less messed up. FWIW, the PDAF detector used with the optical viewfinder is located at the bottom of the mirror box and gets its image from a secondary mirror on the back of the main mirror (the main mirror is partially silvered). The focus screen is not in the light path.

Steve