Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2021, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snm Quote
Thank you guys for the helpful responses! Kept these in mind throughout the year. After the Kr started having "bad days" during the last trip with the focus drive or the positioning of the released mirror, went with a lightly used KP. Having just received it, I have yet to test it out thoroughly. But after the first look - I'm very excited. So many quality-of-life details I didn't think I needed! The control-wheels-lock, the WiFi+App sounds great, the Live View seems ages ahead the Kr. Had high expectations for the Focus Peaking feature given the couple manual lenses I own, but it doesn't feel as effortless to focus as I expected, will probably need some further learning.

One question about the default settings of the KP -- if shooting only RAW, do we still want to enable all the default corrections, e.g., the shadows/highlights corrections, aberrations, lens distortion and so on? Can the body over-correct?
When I first got my KP, I followed advice here and dialed back "sharpness" - yes it can over-correct, but as far as I know, this doesn't affect the content of 'raw' files.

08-10-2021, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snm Quote
Had high expectations for the Focus Peaking feature given the couple manual lenses I own, but it doesn't feel as effortless to focus as I expected, will probably need some further learning.
One question about the default settings of the KP -- if shooting only RAW, do we still want to enable all the default corrections, e.g., the shadows/highlights corrections, aberrations, lens distortion and so on? Can the body over-correct?

If the manual lenses are wide aperture the focus peak can be "touchy", but no more than it would have been on a film camera. The apparent depth-of-field on an APSC camera is shallower than when the same lens is used on a full-frame camera, so the setting may seem to be a little more 'finicky', but that's simply a factor of the optical physics, not a problem with the camera. Personally, except where 'necessary', I use the optical viewfinder and rely on the "Green Hexagon" for focus confirmation … the "Catch-in-Focus" feature can be very helpful here, the camera simply won't make an exposure if the subject isn't in focus … not sure if that option is available in "LiveView"
As for 'over-correct', the camera provides a wide range of adjustment across a gamut of settings. It's up to the photographer to decide what end result is required and choose which settings will provide that result.
In this perspective, it can be instructional to load a RAW file (or several) into the supplied Digital Camera Utility software. The program uses the same terminology for it's adjustments as the camera does, so if you regularly find yourself applying +2 this or -1 that in software, you can set your camera to these defaults and save an amount of "fiddling" later.
Personally, I'm usually content with the camera's default settings and usually work in JPG only, but if I happen upon an instance where I consider there might be opportunity for a problem, I'll save in RAW as well so I've got the opportunity for greater adjustment later
Enjoy your KP