Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #1

Carrying K100D on a bicycle OK?

Hello,

I enjoy bicycling and am concerned about carrying my K100D with me while riding. Most of my riding is on a mountain bike on compacted gravel rail trails (not technical off road riding). I have carried film SLRís in the past in handlebar bags or rack trunks with no problems. My camera would of course be in a well-padded trunk on my rear rack, but my concern about the K100D is the floating SR sensor mount, and what problem several hours of constant vibrations from the trail may inflict. Does anyone else have experience carrying a K100D or K10D on a bicycle?

Thanks, BobG

03-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hi bob,
I worry about the same thing on my motorcycle so i use a small bag over my shouler, I figure my body takes up a lot of shock and like on a bike you can stand on the pegs if you see a big bump coming. Stuff in my saddlebags gets pretty beat up,I thought about using some soft foam in there but haven't tried it yet and I like having it easy to get at.
tom
03-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No special experience with carrying any of those 2 models on a Mountain Bike, but I have always carried SLRs (mechanical ones) with me on the Mountain Bike and felt that they were safest in a backpack. That's where I would put my K10D now, if I take the Mountain Bike again.
03-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #4

I carry a small face down messenger style bag (Crumpler 5 million dollar bag) when bike riding. I think for hard off-road biking, a backpack would be better. Any body-mounted bag should be okay.

The moving sensor in the K100d/K10d is not completely loose--it slides around with some damping or friction (at least the one in mine does). So shaking the camera body doesn't really shake the sensor much.

Bart

03-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Forum Member

The way I Mountain Bike, I'd not be comfortable carrying MY SLR

I figure Murphy would get me sooner or later as I've ejected over the bars!

But perhaps we're biking rougher terrain than you're thinking of.....
03-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm really more of a roadie, but I've ridden with my camera in a backpack, in my messenger bag, and in my sling during my commute. However, I don't ride with my laptop, and when I rode with music, I didn't use a hard-drive player because I don't feel vibrations like on a bike are that great for the internal workings.

I would be wary. The cameras are well built, ...but also expensive.
03-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies and your opinions. I think I'll probably stay on the safe side and continue to carry just my P&S when on the bike. Iíll still wish I had my K100D with me, because there's some beautiful scenery and nature on the rail trails and old canal towpaths in the area.
03-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've carried my DS, my DL, or both in my messenger bag many times. Never had a problem, but then neither has SR.

03-31-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I just bought a new bike last night and took it through it's paces this morning (and vice versa). I carried my K100D in my Tamrac Velocity 6. I think this would be a fine bag for short road trips or very mild trails. For anything that is other than level or requires any significant shifting of your body, you may want to consider something else. The sling tended to rotate from my back to my front, which is of course not good.

I am actually looking at possibly getting a larger Camelback bag which I can use to not only carry some water with me, but possibly store my camera as well. I would probably have to go to a smaller case if I go this route, but it seems like a pretty good solution.

Here's an obligatory shot of my new bike BTW. The contrast is off as it was very overcast and dark this morning (a recent theme of all my pictures).

CamelBak - 2007

04-01-2007, 01:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

For bike trips (that's bicycle, not motorbike) I use a Lowepro Rezo TLZ-20. It sits on my hip side, held by a strong velcro + stud catch belt loop plus a shoulder strap. It's only just big enough for the camera plus fitted lens with hood (Sigma 17-70 , Pentax kit or 50-200 all fit OK) with a small pouch that will take a spare set of AAs and memory. It's not very thickly padded but it keeps the size down. Whether it's practical to use depends greatly on what clothes are worn, belt loops mean long jackets get in the way. I like being able to get my camera out of its bag in a second, ready for action. No zips, just quick release catches, I rely on the lens hood for protection, so no lens cap to fiddle with.