Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KC_TypeR Quote
Thanks for info guys. I'll aim for a K3 but settle for a K5 if none appear.
Maybe already said: Be aware that the K-5 cameras don‘t support KAF4 lenses fully. By example you can’t control the electromagnetic aperture on the DA55-300PLM - you always shoot open aperture. Autofocus works. Another such lens may come soon: the DA*16-50 II.

01-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the K-5 IIs new at closeout deal after the K-3 appeared. Later, I acquired the little K-S2 new at very low price for the same reason, to be my lightweight backup and alternative, but it is vulnerable to the solenoid issue. I skipped K-3 and K-3 II, but went for the KP, which became my primary model, but the K-5 IIs remains and is still a favorite of mine. Fine, sharp imaging in a well-designed body, with better fine detail capability without the AA filter. Its AF is also more advanced over the original K-5, as I have found. If PLM is not something you are interested in, this model is a fine performer, in a rugged body with advanced controls you would enjoy. I am keeping my HD DA 55-300mm WR lens, which I find very satisfying, though my other bodies are PLM capable.
01-12-2021, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Maybe already said: Be aware that the K-5 cameras don‘t support KAF4 lenses fully. By example you can’t control the electromagnetic aperture on the DA55-300PLM - you always shoot open aperture. Autofocus works. Another such lens may come soon: the DA*16-50 II.
When it comes to KAF4 everyone thinks of the PLM, an affordable and excellent lens.

But the new DFA* 50 F1.4 and the even newer DFA* 85 F1.4 are also KAF4. That said, they are so costly that people buying them usually already have a body able to handle KAF4 lenses anyway.
01-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
When it comes to KAF4 everyone thinks of the PLM, an affordable and excellent lens.

But the new DFA* 50 F1.4 and the even newer DFA* 85 F1.4 are also KAF4. That said, they are so costly that people buying them usually already have a body able to handle KAF4 lenses anyway.
You don't need to buy a DFA*50 or DFA*85. If you use the very versatile DA55-300PLM as a main lens it's IMO even worth buying a newer APS-C camera like the KP in addition. I first bought the lens and later the KP to use them together on hiking tours as a lightweight fully capable setup and never regretted it.

People have different demands and opinions. To make their descisions that serve long lasting satisfaction they should get clear what compromises they will accept in mid and long term.

01-14-2021, 03:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

The K-S1 was my workhorse camera from 2015 until 2020, when it developed the solenoid issue and I now have a K-3, so that's my recommendation. In the US they go for 400 dollars and up in excellent condition.
The KP I think is an even better alternative but it will also cost more. The K-3II will be in between the K-3 and the KP in price.
I would not advise to go back to the K-r or the K-5, the AF in artificial light really doesn't work well. The K-5II (and K-5IIs) are the oldest flagship APS-C models I would go for.
01-15-2021, 02:35 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have recommended the KP in a minute, except it seemed by the OP's comments it might not be possible due to budget concerns. If it is possible, THAT would be a huge upgrade!
01-15-2021, 03:20 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I would have recommended the KP in a minute, except it seemed by the OP's comments it might not be possible due to budget concerns. If it is possible, THAT would be a huge upgrade!
We picked up a K-5IIs yesterday. Nice camera. The negatives are overstated. On the DxO sensor database the K-5iis is rated at 82 combined score. The K-3 is rated at 80. A KS-1 is rated at 78, a K-7 is rated at 61. Differences of 5 points are discernible to the naked eye. They haven't yet rated a K-P or a K-70.

At $200 U.S. I feel like we stole the camera. It came with the grip and 2 batteries.

We also use the DA 55-300 PLM on our K-5. As a telephoto, we use it without issue for pseudo-macro and wildlife and even some birding on both the K-1 and K-5. It's limitations are overstated by those unfamiliar with using the equipment.

01-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We picked up a K-5IIs yesterday. Nice camera. The negatives are overstated. On the DxO sensor database the K-5iis is rated at 82 combined score. The K-3 is rated at 80. A KS-1 is rated at 78, a K-7 is rated at 61. Differences of 5 points are discernible to the naked eye. They haven't yet rated a K-P or a K-70.

At $200 U.S. I feel like we stole the camera. It came with the grip and 2 batteries.

We also use the DA 55-300 PLM on our K-5. As a telephoto, we use it without issue for pseudo-macro and wildlife and even some birding on both the K-1 and K-5. It's limitations are overstated by those unfamiliar with using the equipment.
A K5-II at $200 sounds like a pretty good deal!
01-15-2021, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
A K5-II at $200 sounds like a pretty good deal!
A friend , it belonged to his father. We got a discount.
01-15-2021, 06:57 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I've added to my complement of K-5 bodies within the last few months, so it's not like I'm against buying them or using them, but the lack of KAF4 compatibility is a huge limitation. At current prices an original K-5 is probably a worthwhile purchase for some users, but not so much a K-5ii. And K-5iis bodies are irrationally high-priced, so if you're paying market prices, they're just not worthwhile. Were it not for the glaring KAF4 issue the K-5 would be sufficient for a much larger base of users, and maybe have held its value a little better than it has.
01-16-2021, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
UPDATE: So I managed to pick up a K5 on eBay for £155 which I was very pleased about. Only received it this morning but took a few test shots using my trusty DA 40 pancake and pictures look great! Not viewed the images properly off camera but they seem better quality than the same lens on my KS-1.

The body definitely feels much better quality in terms of handling and materials too. The shutter speed much much quieter too. The ergonomics helps to keep a steadier hand I think too.

Very happy so far. Thanks for all your recommendations guys.
01-16-2021, 08:37 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I've added to my complement of K-5 bodies within the last few months, so it's not like I'm against buying them or using them, but the lack of KAF4 compatibility is a huge limitation.
So what you are saying is, if you plan to use a $1000 lens, a $300 body might not be the best choice?

---------- Post added 01-16-21 at 10:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KC_TypeR Quote
UPDATE: So I managed to pick up a K5 on eBay for £155 which I was very pleased about. Only received it this morning but took a few test shots using my trusty DA 40 pancake and pictures look great! Not viewed the images properly off camera but they seem better quality than the same lens on my KS-1.

The body definitely feels much better quality in terms of handling and materials too. The shutter speed much much quieter too. The ergonomics helps to keep a steadier hand I think too.

Very happy so far. Thanks for all your recommendations guys.
No problem, my wife is out right now shooting with her K-5 and my DFA 28-105. I'm pretty sure you'll have no issues with IQ. We print those images up to 20 inches x 30 inches without issue.
01-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've added to my complement of K-5 bodies within the last few months, so it's not like I'm against buying them or using them, but the lack of KAF4 compatibility is a huge limitation. At current prices an original K-5 is probably a worthwhile purchase for some users, but not so much a K-5ii. And K-5iis bodies are irrationally high-priced, so if you're paying market prices, they're just not worthwhile. Were it not for the glaring KAF4 issue the K-5 would be sufficient for a much larger base of users, and maybe have held its value a little better than it has.
Congratulations and have fun!

The K-5 delivers great image quality. Never had any complains about that.
01-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So what you are saying is, if you plan to use a $1000 lens, a $300 body might not be the best choice?
In some ways the K-5 would be the best, or at least one of the best choices, due to a unique combination of size and features that hasn't been exactly replicated yet in later models. Not just for current $1000 lenses (although the 55-300 PLM isn't a $1000 lens) but for future ones (16-50.) But the K-5 isn't a choice for anyone who ever needs an aperture setting other than wide open with any of those newer lenses.
01-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #30
Pentaxian

In some ways the K-5 would be the best, or at least one of the best choices, due to a unique combination of size and features that hasn't been exactly replicated yet in later models. Not just for current $1000 lenses (although the 55-300 PLM isn't a $1000 lens) but for future ones (16-50.) But the K-5 isn't a choice for anyone who ever needs an aperture setting other than wide open with any of those newer lenses.
A DA 55-300 PLM at ƒ6.3 is workable as iced aperture lens. 2.8 lenses wide open, not so much.