Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by English-Photographer Quote
Unlikely to be as controversial as triumphing Sigma over the Pentax Limited
Digitalis did a comparison a while ago. Based on the images, I would go with the 31. Any advantage the Sima might have, and that was debatable, is negated by the larger footprint.

01-14-2021, 04:05 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Digitalis did a comparison a while ago. Based on the images, I would go with the 31. Any advantage the Sima might have, and that was debatable, is negated by the larger footprint.
Yes it's quite subjective and depends largely on what you're using it for. f1.4 is still different enough then f1.8 to make that a deciding factor, especially with the extra 4mm focal length. But I loved travelling with the f1.8, it's so compact and the image quality is superb. It also feels better built. Shame it's not weather-sealed. I wish Pentax would update the limited trinity with weather sealing, even if they had to forgo image stabilisation and ultrasonic auto-focus to keep them relatively small. Another negative factor for the Sigma is the autofocus; my copy wasn't particularly reliable even if it was quieter than the Pentax. It would be better on mirrorless. I preferred the Sigma image quality but the Pentax is a special lens. In the end I sold both, kept the 28-105mm and the 77mm limited which is quite incredible for the image quality to its size and price, and I've got one eye roving for a Pentax 28mm f2 if it happens to come up or a Leitaxed 35mm f1.4.
01-14-2021, 09:01 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's up English! I guess we are L- Mount buddies now. I still have my K-1 but recently picked up the Sigma FP which I believe has the same sensor as the S1 and the new Leica. I got it for around $1000 so couldn't pass it up. Still sticking with the Fujis as my primary bodies but wanted something FF and compact. The new Sigma 85 f1.4 is in route to me and I have the 65mm f2 on preorder. For landscapes I will stick with the K-1 but for my run and gun natural light portraits I would like to work in the FP from time to time. I may mess about with some of the amazing video options on the FP in the near future as well.

At some point I may pick up an S5 if I get a good deal.
01-14-2021, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #19

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
What's up English! I guess we are L- Mount buddies now. I still have my K-1 but recently picked up the Sigma FP which I believe has the same sensor as the S1 and the new Leica. I got it for around $1000 so couldn't pass it up. Still sticking with the Fujis as my primary bodies but wanted something FF and compact. The new Sigma 85 f1.4 is in route to me and I have the 65mm f2 on preorder. For landscapes I will stick with the K-1 but for my run and gun natural light portraits I would like to work in the FP from time to time. I may mess about with some of the amazing video options on the FP in the near future as well.

At some point I may pick up an S5 if I get a good deal.
Hey Chris, speak of the devil! Was just recommending people check out your work in a 56mm/90mm comparison. That's a great price for the FP. I actually 'won' it with the 45mm on eBay but ended up going with the S1. The FP with a few compact primes would be an amazing kit. Loving your work with the XT3 and that 90mm. With natural light or a blink of off-camera flash? Excellent editing. I've got the DJI RSC2 and recommend it, especially for video with the FP although the Weebil S is great value too. Would love to hear what you think of the Sigma 85mm and vs the 90mm and FA* 85mm.

01-15-2021, 10:31 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by English-Photographer Quote
Hey Chris, speak of the devil! Was just recommending people check out your work in a 56mm/90mm comparison. That's a great price for the FP. I actually 'won' it with the 45mm on eBay but ended up going with the S1. The FP with a few compact primes would be an amazing kit. Loving your work with the XT3 and that 90mm. With natural light or a blink of off-camera flash? Excellent editing. I've got the DJI RSC2 and recommend it, especially for video with the FP although the Weebil S is great value too. Would love to hear what you think of the Sigma 85mm and vs the 90mm and FA* 85mm.
Appreciate the kind words. I just received the Sigma 85mm today and the build quality seems quite good. A big bigger and heavier than the Pentax FA 85 which is unfortunate but still much smaller and lighter than previous Sigma lenses so at least they are finally going in the right direction. Looking forward to shooting with it on Sunday. I have the original Weebil lab which I have been using with the Fujifilm X-T30 for videos. I may try out the FP on it at some point.