Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2021, 09:34 PM   #1

Pentax kx and ISD for astro images

I have used the Pentax IST DL years ago on a Celestron C11 with a good tracking mount. I have to say the images from just a 30 to 60 sec exposure gave me great results, I wish I could post some of those images but I have lost the memory card on most all of them.
Now I have a 6 inch refactor that I am going to use a Pentax KX with a marginally good tracking mount. The KX has already given me some fairly nice images, but I have to give the camera and telescope a fair shake and complete setup properly, so tracking will be good. Although I will be shooting a F-6.5 a fairly wide-field for my scope , I should be able to take at least 1min to possibly 2 min or slightly longer exposures.

At this time stacking photos is a learning skill that I am not good at yet. However I am very happy with the Pentax KX or any IST variant as far as taking astrophotography images. And yes it is true what others have posted, a DSLR camera is not as good as a dedicated astronomy camera, made for just that use. However they are very expensive, but getting cheaper because of our friends in China who now make almost everything, everywhere.
I will try to post some of my images results with the KX, on a AR152mm scope. Wish me luck, its cold and raining for the next few days.

01-13-2021, 02:52 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome, Frank. Good luck with the K-x and scope. I'm looking forward to seeing your results!
01-13-2021, 04:39 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

You will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

have fun with your photography
01-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best of luck. I suggest dropping and joining the astrophotography social group. We are a friendly lot and will likely fall over each other to help you out.

Going forward stacking and and editing are probably more important than just taking the shots, or that is what I have learned in the 3+ years of really being into astro shooting.