Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@ SpecialK - OrenMc is using Elements 5, it was in a previous post. You are correct anyway, it will convert PEF.

@ OrenMc - You need to download and install Adobe Camera Raw 4.6 it is/was the last version of camera raw that supports your version of Elements. Once installed you will be able to open PEFs directly in Elements and do the batch conversions also. As SpecialK mentioned Elements will store your PEF edits in a special XML file. It does not modify the actual raw data, that is why it is totally reversible. Then once tweaked to your hearts content then you can Save As... a JPG.

11-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Wow, I wonder what I have been doing to thousands of PEFs in Elements 6, then?

Elements 6 worked straight out on K100D PEFs, but I had to update the ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) plug-in to get it work with K20D PEFs. Just download it and put it in the "plugin" folder.

File > Open
Click on PEF and open it.
You should be in the RAW editor. Tweak settings as desired.
Bottom right corner -----> Open image.
This gets you into the "regular" editor. Tweak settings as desired.
File > Save As.
In the "type" dialog box, scroll down to JPG.

Elements saves the RAW setting tweaks (but not the JPG tweaks) in a small XML file.

I have Elements 5. Doesn't do PEF If I use DNG it will prosses them but I could figure out how to convert dng to jpeg

Last edited by OrenMc; 11-18-2008 at 09:20 PM.
11-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I have Elements 5. Doesn't do PEF Maybe It doesn't support ACR
It was supported in ACR update 3.7, so basically since February 2007 you should have been able to open and edit K10D PEF files.

Here is a direct link to the latest ACR you can use, version 4.6:

Adobe - Photoshop Elements : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter and Camera Raw 4.6 update
11-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I downloaded and I still get a message " can not open because it is the wrong type of file "

11-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #35
Site Supporter

I downloaded and I still get a message " can not open because it is the wrong type of file "

Did you restart your computer after putting the plugin into the correct folder? It worked fine for me. I think there is something simple that is being overlooked, hopefully.
11-19-2008, 05:42 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Which folder did you put it into. Maybe that is it. I wasn't sure where to unzip.
Thanks for all the help

Last edited by OrenMc; 11-19-2008 at 06:51 AM.
11-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Which folder did you put it into. My that is it. I wasn't sure where to unzip.
Thanks for all the help
OrenMc here are the exact instructions:

Photoshop Elements: Windows®:
  1. Exit Photoshop Elements.
  2. Open My Computer.
  3. Double-click Local Disk (C:\).
  4. Navigate to Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
  5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
  6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
  7. Launch Photoshop Elements
What I have found is that instruction #5 soes not tell you to finally delete the original Camera Raw.8bi if everything is working fine. So add that step as number 8.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 11-19-2008 at 03:21 PM.
11-19-2008, 06:55 AM   #38
Veteran Member

That did it!
That info was probably in the read me file wasn't it? duh It does help to read the directions sometimes
I am not sure where the files from the other download went. I hope it didn't create a bug.

11-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #39
Veteran Member

That did it!
That info was probably in the read me file wasn't it? duh It does help to read the directions sometimes
I am not sure where the files from the other download went. I hope it didn't create a bug.
Yes directly from the readme. I just added the bold and italics to make it easier for you to see where the file needed to go.

Now you have a problem, you will have to relearn workflow with PEF only so Marc will get off your case. JK

You also asked about converting from PEF to DNG. You can do that in batch mode with the Adobe DNG Converter that was included in that download. That should probably be left for another discussion in another thread as you now have a lot to process (sorry for the bad pun).
11-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Yes element will automatically save but I don't do it that way. I don't use elements to organize and don't ask me why.
OK, I won't ask :-). But I am pretty sure your RAW processing are be saved *automatically*. As in, aside from hitting a "Cancel" button from within ACR, I don't know that is any way to make Elements *not* save your changes. Although I could certainly be wrong about that - I'm basing this on assuming the ACR works in essentially the same way whether in Elements or CS.

But assuming I'm right, as I said before, conversion to another format shouldn't normally be necessary. The only time you'd need JPEG's would be for images you intend to send someone else or post online. And for those, you seldom need full size or highest quality. So you should be able to set up a batch job that takes your processed RAW files (whether PEF or DNG) and convert them to a convenient size for that purpose. And you wouldn't necessarily need to do so for all your images - just the ones you expect you might want to have JPEG's for.

So it's kind of similar to shooting RAW + 1* JPEG, except you don't waste space on the card, and you can shoot faster, too. Plus, the JPEG's you end up with have your processing intact - as oppsoed to the in-camera JPEG's, which obviously won't be updated to reflect any RAW processing you do. And instead of being stuck with the camera's choice as to resolution and quality of your JPEG's, you get to choose. And you aren't stuck with JPEG's for images you need them for.

Which is to say, it's like shooting RAW + 1* JPEG, but way better in pretty much all respects. The only advantage of having the in-camera RAW is to save the minute or two it might take to generate these batch-converted JPEG's if your really in a huge hurry to email the images to someone. But really, are you planning on emailing them hundreds of images? Assuming you're planning to just pick out the best 10, you can do that from RAW, and do your batch conversion on them. The entire process would take less than a minute.

QuoteQuote:
This is one thing I keep telling myself I need to do. As it is I just sort of haphazardly set things up. So this has been a good topic for me.
Since no one else has mentioned it on this thread, I'll recommend "The DAM Book", by Peter Krogh. One of those life-changing books for me. It got me from a similarly haphazard approach to "digital asset management" (that's what DAM stands for) to one that is *far* more organized and efficient.
11-20-2008, 05:53 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Awesome help guys, much appreciated!
11-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One further question regarding PEF vs. DNG format. I've shot the same scene with a PEF and DNG. PEF saves a 10.54 mb file, while DNG saves a 16.14mb file--a nice 35% savings from the compression. However, when I select between the two formats, my K10d tells me that I will be able to store exactly one (1) more photo on my 16gig SD card (from 989 to 990). It seems like it should be several hundred. What gives?
11-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
One further question regarding PEF vs. DNG format. I've shot the same scene with a PEF and DNG. PEF saves a 10.54 mb file, while DNG saves a 16.14mb file--a nice 35% savings from the compression. However, when I select between the two formats, my K10d tells me that I will be able to store exactly one (1) more photo on my 16gig SD card (from 989 to 990). It seems like it should be several hundred. What gives?
The amount of compression that can be achieved varies from shot to shot. The camera doesn't know how much compression it will be able to achieve for shots it hasn't taken yet, so it assumes it won't get *any* and estimates remaining shots accordingly.
11-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The amount of compression that can be achieved varies from shot to shot. The camera doesn't know how much compression it will be able to achieve for shots it hasn't taken yet, so it assumes it won't get *any* and estimates remaining shots accordingly.
So, it doesn't venture a guess with an average? I suppose at some point I will start seeing the number of photos left not decreasing after a shot or decreasing at a smaller rate.
11-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #45

i shoot RAW + JPEG in the past.
however, i only shoot raw now as I use a software named "instant jpeg from raw"

Instant JPEG from RAW