Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2008, 04:29 AM   #1

Pentax K10D

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My wife has this camera and I dont have a clue on what accessories to get her for christmas. I dont know much about cameras but I believe that it came with a 18-55mm lens but I could be wrong. She was wanting some filters and a new lens for her camera and I thought I would surprise her with those things. I just dont know which lenses, filters or any other accessories that you guys recommend are compatible with this camera.

Thanks for you help
Jeremy

11-16-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well... it all really depends on what your wife usually shoots.
There are lots of options, a wideangle lens, telephoto, macro for close-ups, filters as you mentioned (maybe a polarizer?).
Maybe also a flash, as the build-in ones are very limited in their capabilities.
To give any meaningful answers it would be very usefull to know what sort of photography the lense would be used for, as well as some rough indication about the amount of money you were planning to put into this. New high-quality lenses are typically in the USD 250-800 range.
11-16-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I nice fun lens that is excellent quality ... and still very affordable is the FA50 f/1.4 ... if she doesn't have one already ... it's a great start into prime lenses.

It's one of those must have fast 50 lenses ... and even Dpreview Highly Recommend it over all of the other brand fast 50s.
11-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
You could buy her the battery grip if she does not have that accessory and could improve the time between battery changes. You could also get the small remote control that stores inside the battery grip with a spare SD card. That can be quite handy for her.

So in the future, if she ever tells you to "get a grip!" You can say you already have.

11-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, the FA 50mm f/1.4 is a great priced lens and will be very useful for her. If she doesnt have a 1.4 lens yet it is a good idea.
11-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Livewireshock Quote
You could buy her the battery grip if she does not have that accessory and could improve the time between battery changes.
In that case he shouldn't forget to get a spare battery with the grip
11-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Pentax FA50mm f1.4

If this lens isn't in her bag, it should be. It'll cost about $200 new.

11-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Pentax FA50mm f1.4

If this lens isn't in her bag, it should be. It'll cost about $200 new.
That looks to be right around the price I would be looking to spend right now. Where is the best places online to buy them?

I also think she might like these as well

52mm UV/PL/FD/Macro Lens Filters for Pentax K200D K100D K20D K10D

I just dont know which stores are reputable online.
11-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter

bhphoto.com is a good option. I've used Amazon fairly often, too.

BH Photo link

It just occurred to me that the Sigma 24-60mm F2.8 is a bargain right now. It makes some compromises: it is big, heavy, soft around the edges, and doesn't go very wide. But it makes up by being sharp in the center, has nice bokeh, is pretty fast, and is unbelievably cheap.
Amazon link to Sigma lens

It is hard to say what other people would want. Both options would make me happy.
11-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Has anyone mentioned a tripod yet, photographs get better when you use one, it slows you down a bit, so composition improves as well as sharper shots.
11-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There are so many possible directions to go in...
One idea that hasn't been mentioned yet is a telezoom. A good one in your price range would be the DA50-200. Depending on where you get it at, you'll have enough left over to pick up a 52 mm Circular Polarizer filter for her, which will fit on both the 18-55 and 50-200. Even through they're more expensive than the no-name filters you find on eBay and some other places, Tiffen and Hoya are 2 good brands to go with.

Besides B&H and Amazon, you'll want to check out Adorama, Beach Camera and BuyDig, all of which are reputable and often times offer free shipping.
For filters, check out Camera Filters The Filter Connection 2filter.com for Hoya HD filters, Hoya Pro 1, Tiffen HT, Tiffen 4x4 Camera Filters, B+W filters and Canon Ink or eBay Store - Quality Filters: Hoya Digital Filters, B W German Filters, UV Polarizing kits, both which I have bought from. They tend to be cheaper than B&H or Adorama.

HTH,
Heather

PS--After Christmas, she needs to come join us. We'd love to have her.
11-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #12

The battery grip is one of the best things you can get. It makes it much easier to hold the camera either vertically or horizontally and it give your a place to stash a remote and a spare SD card. To go along with it you would need a second battery, the remote and an extra SD card, if she doesn't have them already. Beyond that a good tripod and a circular polarizer (I use Cokin myself) are wonderful things to have. If she does a lot of people shots then an external flash could be handy as well.
11-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Castleman Quote
The battery grip is one of the best things you can get. It makes it much easier to hold the camera either vertically or horizontally and it give your a place to stash a remote and a spare SD card. To go along with it you would need a second battery, the remote and an extra SD card, if she doesn't have them already. Beyond that a good tripod and a circular polarizer (I use Cokin myself) are wonderful things to have. If she does a lot of people shots then an external flash could be handy as well.
She loves doing people so an external flash would just be the ticket, any you recommend? I thought about getting her this tripod any thoughts on it?
http://www.amazon.com/Joby-Gorillapod-SLR-Zoom-Flexible-Digital/dp/B000KFRSG...6657953&sr=8-1

Are there any good used camera stores online or should I be shot for just asking, lol?

Last edited by krus82; 11-16-2008 at 08:08 PM.
11-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

B&H, Adorama, amazon.com all good places to buy... Both of my Pentax's have been bought at Amazon, with no problems, bout my Tamron 70-300 from B&H , a few bags from Adorama...

I would go for a "regular" tripod. A Bogen Manfrotto, Slik, Gitzo, are all decent brands... I bought a used Bogen Manfrotto 3001 from a local camera shop for $60 then bought a cheap ball head for $40 ( want desperately to get a better one though ) I wouldn't mount a HEAVY lens on this tripod, but for regular use it is just fine.
11-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #15

I dont think anyones said strap yet so......a nice neoprene strap does make a difference.Had one on my k10 till i swapped to the tamrac system strap,gave it to the missus and cant help noticing the dl2 stays round her neck instead of stowed in a bag.