Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So if we are all Pentaxians, one community, shouldn't we all have, as some would put it, "Px" in our locations?

03-09-2007, 04:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote

.........posts by someone who was leaving Pentax due to the lack of suitable products coming forward.
Perhaps his presence has been offset by the arrival of new converts such as myself who were attracted by the wealth of suitable products they left behind, yet made sure I would be able to use with my new camera body.

I opened my camera bag and gave my coworkers a peek inside for the first time this evening. They're strictly P&S folks, so were surprised by the number of lenses (only 5) inside. They asked how much all those lenses cost and I told them that while I can't afford the excellent new lenses on the market, there are more fine, affordable, and perfectly compatible pre-loved lenses out there than a fellow can shake a stick at.

I came home to find the delivery man had brought me an S-M-C 105/2.8 purchased via Yahoo Japan Auctions from a lady in Kobe City. I have an M42 55/1.8 and a Sigma 35-70 coming, and from the U.S. I am expecting an M42 135 and a Pentax-M 50/1.4.

If I suddenly drop out of sight, you will know that my wife has murdered me in my sleep.
03-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Thank you Salty.
*quote snipped*
Maybe we can start a Photo Club for us taking not too shabby pictures? We allow "anyone interested in pictures" only to join.

regards,
Sounds like a great idea Jonas, we can call it "These pictures ain't poop!"

NaCl(or maybe "poopless pictures"? )H2O
03-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
I am a photographer, not a Pentaxian or a Canonian or anything. [...]
Brand loyalism is a carachter flaw. Fanatics are scary. [...]
The pictures are the important thing. [...]
Couldn't agree more - it's a clever poster but it made me very uncomfortable. Maybe I'll take a big marker and write "The pictures are the important thing" on my camera bag. Every time I look at one of your images I learn a lot, I hope it starts to pay off in my photography, whatever I'm using to make pictures.

Julie

03-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
If I suddenly drop out of sight, you will know that my wife has murdered me in my sleep.
I know the feeling -- yesterday I was lucky enough to intercept the UPS man before my wife answered the door...
03-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You know, brand loyalty is a funny thing. I like Pentax because they make affordable, straight-forward, bomb-proof cameras. Will I always use Pentax in the future? Who knows, but as long as they continue to make good cameras that are compatible with all my old lenses, I don't really see why I should start over with a different brand.

On the other hand, that poster was created by either an ad agency or Pentax's own marketing people to manipulate that love for the scrappy underdog that everyone has. Is Pentax really the scrappy underdog? Maybe, maybe not. But as a marketing ploy it's perfect. It sure worked on me when I saw the poster.

Nothing a little deconstruction can't fix...
03-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
On the other hand, that poster was created by either an ad agency or Pentax's own marketing people to manipulate that love for the scrappy underdog that everyone has.
I think it also plays to people's desire to belong to a group. I agree it's a very effective poster, but it also made me a little uneasy. I didn't buy by K100D only because it was a Pentax, and I also own other brands of cameras. I did try out the K100D because of my fondness for the Pentax brand brought about by my trusty K1000, which I still have and use.

As far as the Photo Club, can those of us who take poopy pictures but want to take better ones join??
03-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Perhaps his presence has been offset by the arrival of new converts such as myself who were attracted by the wealth of suitable products they left behind, yet made sure I would be able to use with my new camera body.

I opened my camera bag and gave my coworkers a peek inside for the first time this evening. They're strictly P&S folks, so were surprised by the number of lenses (only 5) inside. They asked how much all those lenses cost and I told them that while I can't afford the excellent new lenses on the market, there are more fine, affordable, and perfectly compatible pre-loved lenses out there than a fellow can shake a stick at.

I came home to find the delivery man had brought me an S-M-C 105/2.8 purchased via Yahoo Japan Auctions from a lady in Kobe City. I have an M42 55/1.8 and a Sigma 35-70 coming, and from the U.S. I am expecting an M42 135 and a Pentax-M 50/1.4.

Hi Mike,
Only get worried when your wife talks about increasing your life insurance.
There is no doubt that Pentax have turned things around in recent times. The price point of the DL probably made a lot of prospective buyers pick up a Pentax for the first time and the K100 with SR set some new standards which has been backed up by the K10D, all of this combined has bought a lot of new people to the Pentax family.

I was travelling on a ferry in Canada and two people in front of me were inspecting a new Nikon, as I walked past them, one of them saw the Pentax shoulder strap and commented to the Nikon owner...."now thats a camera"....
....the guy with the Nikon was not impressed!

Cheers
Grant

03-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #24

I don't see that owning a Pentax is any different to owning a Canon or a Nikon.
We all choose our camera's according to personal preference whether it be brand, features of a particular camera body.

Personally I don't like to run with the crowd. I like my equipment to be different and Pentax is certainly that.

To me, the really overwhelming point with Pentax over all the other brands is the fact that we can use almost every lens ever to carry the Asashi Pentax marque - along with countless others in the M42 mount - and get good results. That's more than can be said for Canon and Nikon.

Pentax show loyalty to their user base and likewise that loyalty is repaid in most cases when new purchases are to be made.
03-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I think they got the same ad agency that does the harley-d*** advertising, they write the same kind of stuff.
tb