Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2021, 10:27 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have an issue called trigger finger.
Started with me last week. Ring finger, left hand. Taped it loosely to the middle finger to restrict movement and am using an anti-inflammatory gel, seems to be improving. Fingers crossed (figuratively).

01-23-2021, 11:01 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

depends on what you are mostly into.

If it be birding (including bird in flight), wildlife, fast-action sports etc.
Then should wait for k33.

Else, KP will be a better choice (especially if into stuffs where the flip screen will be useful).

Naturally, if •$Ä£ isn't in the equation at all, get KP and use it first and see what k33 is like before plunging in for k33 or be happy with KP
01-23-2021, 11:09 PM   #18
Pentaxian

3) Buy the KP, sell the K-3, buy the K-3iii in the near future.
I would say you're right on target here. I would also recommend getting the battery grip- I think I saw discounts for it as well. I don't use it as often as some do, but when needed it is great to have. And you'd most likely not be in a huge rush for the K-3 III and will get a better deal for it. You might keep the K-3 also for the time being for when you have need of 2 card slots or deeper buffer, then sell it when you finally get the K-3 III.

---------- Post added 01-23-21 at 11:19 PM ----------

Weirdly my middle finger is a problem. I have an issue called trigger finger. The issue gets worse with weight and repeated use but it is mostly a non-issue so far. I just worry a change in grip style could push my issue along.
I have found the lack of a deep finger notch of the KP's grip design (it has only a very small bump there on the largest grip size that also fits onto the battery grip), which some have seen as objectionable for less security of holding for them, conversely has an upside of taking weight-pressure off the middle finger that usually fits into that deeper finger notch of the more standard grip design. This advantage continues, even with the greatly enhanced gripping surface afforded by the KP's battery grip. You might have seen Sandy's rather amusing but true video of his handling with battery grip attached.

I don't know if we''re talking about the same thing here, but when using my K-5 IIs with a large and heavy lens, even with its battery grip, I feel pressure from the ensemble weight on my right middle finger after an extended period of time.

---------- Post added 01-23-21 at 11:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If you feel the KP is worth owning, buy it now and let the future sort itself out.
I see this way of looking at it as good thinking too. Then your choice might even wind up being between going for the K-3 III and going for FF as I finally did. Your options will then be pretty good, I'd say.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-23-2021 at 11:50 PM.
01-24-2021, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
If,you lean towards a KP....go and handle one first.You could dislike the feel, like many have.
Where? Iím in a city without any dealers that carry it as far as I know.

Anyone near the Charlotte NC area with a KP willing to let me handle it during a pandemic?

01-24-2021, 01:22 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
depends on what you are mostly into.

If it be birding (including bird in flight), wildlife, fast-action sports etc.
Then should wait for k33.

Else, KP will be a better choice (especially if into stuffs where the flip screen will be useful).

Naturally, if •$Ä£ isn't in the equation at all, get KP and use it first and see what k33 is like before plunging in for k33 or be happy with KP
Not into birds. I do sometimes shoot hobby rocketry where at liftoff frames per second and buffer depth can be important. However the Panasonic GX8 shots are almost the same rate as the K-3 and has a 5mp burst mode of 40 FPS Iím thinking may be worth trying. With my k Mount gear Iím mostly into stationary or slow moving things. People, plants, rocks, etc.

Thanks for the input.
01-24-2021, 01:27 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I would say you're right on target here. I would also recommend getting the battery grip- I think I saw discounts for it as well. I don't use it as often as some do, but when needed it is great to have. And you'd most likely not be in a huge rush for the K-3 III and will get a better deal for it. You might keep the K-3 also for the time being for when you have need of 2 card slots or deeper buffer, then sell it when you finally get the K-3 III.
I have a battery grip for the k-3, Iíve only used it testing. I have a battery grip for the Olympus - same situation. I even have a 3rd party group just received for my birthday for the Sony. I may actually use that given the poor battery life it has, but I doubt it. So Iím leaning towards buying the grip later if I find it needed.
01-24-2021, 01:30 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a K3 and a KP and love them both. I have used both the medium and large grip on the KP but the grip on the K3 is best of all. Regarding use, the KP ergonomics, once you get them set to your liking are better than the K3 as you have the third wheel. The image quality and autofocus are also better but I still run with my K3 20% of the time because I love it. Like @surfar rightly said, some really don't get on with the grips but the majority on here are big fans. I found it was something I had to work on. Using the battery grip makes a big difference and gives it more of a K3 feel. It also makes it easier to handle larger lenses. The KP is absolutely wonderful with limited lenses. The buttons on the KP grip are also better as they mirror the ones on the body. If I need a camera right now I would probably get a KP and a battery grip, keep the K3, certainly for now and if you find the grip causes issues, sell the KP once the K3ii becomes widely available. If you are getting a very good deal on the KP you shouldn't lose too much if/when you come to sell it. The reasons for keeping the K3 are that you have something familiar should you need a change, and if you did end up selling the KP, you still have something to use in the interim.

Edit: if the deal on the KP is that good, you may even end up keeping the KP for its flip screen and small size as a second body, selling your K3 and buying the 3iii the KP is .......different and quirky in its own way, you may fall in love BTW, the silver one is gorgeous
01-24-2021, 01:33 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Wait a little bit longer, KP will not increase in price. K3iii with features and price tag will be thereto compare.

01-24-2021, 01:35 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a battery grip for the k-3, Iíve only used it testing. I have a battery grip for the Olympus - same situation. I even have a 3rd party group just received for my birthday for the Sony. I may actually use that given the poor battery life it has, but I doubt it. So Iím leaning towards buying the grip later if I find it needed.
Kp batteries are inexpensive. Keep em in your pocket
01-24-2021, 01:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Yeah, It is a big question. If you want one brand new camera with premium price tag, preorder K3-3. If you do really think it is going to make ‘that much’ of a difference in your shooting in next 6 months.

K-P seems to be one heck of a camera too. Some goes for extra grip to make it work. And you get that swivel screen if that is important.

My camera fever is growing and K3-3 does offer cool aid I’m looking for. I’m still on the edge thou. Given that first sentence I’v made. Will it make the impact on my photography I’m looking for. I do know that I will not use that 12 fps shooting that much. But I could do so.

I’m still waiting full spec list and I’m not going to preorder. Even if I had my finger on that button too.

What is really the thing with this new one, is that it should be completely new beast with performance all in all. Compared to anything so far in Pentax land. And most of all that AF should be too. And this is still the thing what is bugging me with my K-1 even time to time.

This area would be the reason why my finger is on top of that preorder button and I go back to that time to time.

You have MILC stuff already and I’v dipped my toes at those waters too. Where cameras and systems goes I know that it would be full on from there to get most out of it, but that was not the question at here.

All in all, if you have couple of months to wait(and propably try out that K-P meanwhile) then do wait. I do know what I’m looking forward to hear. But I have to say that it would be this K3-3 now or/and next FF with the same tech later. I’d like to have more responsive and more performing camera to go with my K-1.
01-24-2021, 01:54 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You have the advantage that the K3 is very well thought of (by Pentaxians anyway), and has not been on sale for quite a while, so people will not be buying up K3ii s at discounted prices once the new model is released, which should mean that if you decide to sell on your K3 in favour of a K3 iii you should get a decent price for it (assuming it is in good condition). So if you wanted 2 bodies, I would suggest getting a KP now as they are available at a good price, and upgrade the K3 when the time is right for you.

I got a KP in November when my K10d died. If the K3iii was available then I would probably have considered that as well but I really like the compact feel of the KP. Before I would take the K10 out when I wanted to take photographs, now it is rare that I go out without the KP even if I end up not taking anything.
01-24-2021, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Option 3 Brad.

Buy the KP now. It's a ripper. I don't miss my K-3 (much), but I'm seriously looking forward to the new body, which should be a perfect foil.
01-24-2021, 02:17 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That bigger VF sounds like a good argument for the K-3III, especially if youíre a glasses wearer like me. Ricoh have made such a big thing of it, so Iím keen to see what it looks like. Iíd keep my K-3II as well, as Iíd miss the GPS function.
01-24-2021, 03:36 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I was lucky enough to win a KP

turns out I didn't really like it, perhaps I didn't use it enough to learn to like it

it is now on " loan " to my son and his wife and lives in Omaha NE

[ my K 3 is on loan to my younger brother in Illinois too ]

my suggestion

what is the return policy of the vendor

QuoteQuote:
30 Day Return Policy.
For the first 30 days after your purchase you may return merchandise for a full money back refund, excluding any shipping charges.

Returned or exchanged products must be in brand new, mint condition, and have all original manufacturer's packaging, materials, and accessories, including instruction booklets, packing inserts, and blank warranty cards.
https://www.adorama.com/help/returnPolicy

contact them by email, so you have a record as to what " brand new mint condition " means if it means totally no shutter counts or does it mean you can try out the KP ?

buy the KP and try it out

if you don't like it, return it.
01-24-2021, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) Buy a KP and keep my K-3 for backup.
2) Wait and buy the K-3iii and keep the K-3 as a backup.
3) Buy the KP, sell the K-3, buy the K-3iii in the near future.
Perhaps a different option:- get a KP; keep the K-3 as 2nd body; consider the K-3 Mark 3 in the farther future.

The latter gives time to see the longer term reviews of the new body and, if it then appeals to you and prices follow the usual trends, it should be available at a more attractive cost. Following this pathway for the KP, I bought this highly recommended body new at about £400 less than its release price.

KP is a great camera in many ways, but to highlight two that are helpful to me:-
- the extra e-dial set up along with the other two to give instant control of all the main exposure parameters;
- the tilting screen is essential (as I'm getting older) for taking hand-held low-down shots, e.g. plants.
For me, taking single or bracketed hand-held shots, the supplied grips are sufficient, and two fully-charged batteries, one in use and one spare, provide more than enough power for each photo session.

Philip