Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 67 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
and higher high iso performance which I’m keen to try out.

I think I’ll order one today. The future can sort itself. Thanks all.
A very good decision, I'd say. I do agree with MJKoski if you find a deal with the battery grip, although maybe there's a similar deal out there for one separately if you wait until you get your new KP and take some time adjusting to its handling, to decide the question of the battery grip. But do order a spare standard battery regardless.

01-24-2021, 02:01 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think I’ll order one today. The future can sort itself. Thanks all.
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Look for a kit which has the battery grip. It extends shooting time a lot and eats your current K-3 battery.
KP. No grip. I can add one if I need it.
I'll assume the KP comes with small/medium/large options, none of these are to my liking.Battery grip is essential to improve the ergonomics and to insert the K3 battery to give good battery life.
01-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
But do order a spare standard battery regardless.
I grabbed a spare battery already in the same order. Thanks all.
01-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I’m leaning towards buying the grip later if I find it needed.
Right- this is a good plan, as I have seen considerable reductions offered for the battery grip lately. I ordered the battery grip in a deal with my K-5 IIs (then the outgoing model). Mainly because it takes AA batteries. so if I am away on a trip and get careless about keeping batteries charged up, I have this battery grip along with a set of AA lithiums. Now I have this camera along as a backup to my KP, with its battery grip and some AA lithiums. Although as I say, I don't frequently use my KP's battery grip, I do use it more than I have with that of my K-5 IIs. As I think about it, the battery grip is potentially more important with the KP than with my K-5 IIs, other than the AA battery factor. This is because it becomes part of the KP's modular design concept of expanding or contracting its handling characteristics, depending on lenses being used and situations being addressed. You can take it out in its most contracted, compact form with the smallest supplied grip and say a Limited prime, or expand as needed with one of the other supplied grips when using a range of mid-sized lenses, then on into the large, heavier lens category with the battery grip, which converts the KP into a much meatier feel and substantially larger gripping surface. It also provides far more uninterrupted battery life using the larger battery size in the grip in addition to the smaller standard battery in the camera, more than your K-3 without its grip and at a similar weight.

01-24-2021, 02:42 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Right- this is a good plan, as I have seen considerable reductions offered for the battery grip lately. I ordered the battery grip in a deal with my K-5 IIs (then the outgoing model). Mainly because it takes AA batteries. so if I am away on a trip and get careless about keeping batteries charged up, I have this battery grip along with a set of AA lithiums. Now I have this camera along as a backup to my KP, with its battery grip and some AA lithiums. Although as I say, I don't frequently use my KP's battery grip, I do use it more than I have with that of my K-5 IIs. As I think about it, the battery grip is potentially more important with the KP than with my K-5 IIs, other than the AA battery factor. This is because it becomes part of the KP's modular design concept of expanding or contracting its handling characteristics, depending on lenses being used and situations being addressed. You can take it out in its most contracted, compact form with the smallest supplied grip and say a Limited prime, or expand as needed with one of the other supplied grips when using a range of mid-sized lenses, then on into the large, heavier lens category with the battery grip, which converts the KP into a much meatier feel and substantially larger gripping surface. It also provides far more uninterrupted battery life using the larger battery size in the grip in addition to the smaller standard battery in the camera, more than your K-3 without its grip and at a similar weight.
The KP is incredibly customizable both in hardware and software. Pretty much in a class of its own on this dimension.
01-24-2021, 04:36 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Placed my order for a KP. No grip. I can add one if I need it. Current kit pricing nearly the same as buying separate. Will evaluate need after the camera is here.

Absolutely great choice.
Thumbs up.
01-25-2021, 12:17 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
The KP is incredibly customizable both in hardware and software. Pretty much in a class of its own on this dimension.
Definitely! A most unique camera design.

01-25-2021, 02:48 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Placed my order for a KP. No grip. I can add one if I need it. Current kit pricing nearly the same as buying separate. Will evaluate need after the camera is here.
Excellent choice I love mine so much! Did you go for black or silver? Keep an eye on eBay for a battery grip. There are no third party ones but I got a mint in box grip for £120. It might be worth picking up some batteries. I find the original gives me 50% more than a good 3rd party hahnel. I don't know why I am telling you that, you already know 😂😂😂 sorry, I really love the KP
Watch this video by Mattias burling. He loves the camera and there are one or two nice set up ideas in here

Don't be surprised if you can't decide which grip you like. I am currently on the large after months on the medium. Pentax's idea is a different grip for a different lens, small for limiteds, medium for primes and mid sized zooms, large for the bazookas (although I always add a battery grip for the really big stuff). Enjoy
01-25-2021, 03:29 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Generally, with the 3 grips.... I went through a process where I was looking for the KP to feel like other pentax cameras in my hand (K5, K3 etc).... it was only after dismissing this tendancy..... and looking to hold the KP in it's own way(s?) that it came together for me. Just like when a new woman enters your life (from what I've read.....).
01-25-2021, 03:56 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Just like when a new woman enters your life
The plural sounds better!

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
(from what I've read.....).
01-25-2021, 04:33 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Adorama deal on the KP has me confused. I had always avoided buying this camera because the K-3 has a few features I thought I would miss too much to compromise on (top lcd, dual slots, frame rate, buffer size, grip). My position on these features has mellowed.

Like the KP the K3iii has been on my radar also. The smaller KP body and the lack of a tilting screen on the K3iii (I know this is a hot button for some people but it is what it is.) are about the only feature that the KP has that I wish the K-3iii had.

Do I...

1) Buy a KP and keep my K-3 for backup.

2) Wait and buy the K-3iii and keep the K-3 as a backup.

3) Buy the KP, sell the K-3, buy the K-3iii in the near future.
Well I have an old K7 that has a top LCD and a chunky built in grip and a fixed rear screen. I also have a KP which I absolutely love because it is so light and compact (but not too compact) compared to the K7 (I have also had a K3) I don't miss having a top LCD, all the information I need I can see in the viewfinder. The KP has a tilting rear screen which is useful but I rarely use the screen for composing my shots and I have fitted a folding hood over the rear screen to protect the screen and also it stops me from chimping my shots. I have the largest grip fitted on my KP and find it gives me plenty of grip without being too bulky.
01-25-2021, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adorama is now out of stock on the KP. They say more are coming.
01-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I went with black. I have always preferred black. My first 35mm was a black Yashica rangefinder, and despite the next camera being a CHROME Nikon, the next one was a black F2a. There’s just a soft spot in my heart for a black camera.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01-25-2021 at 10:04 AM.
01-25-2021, 08:34 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
a crime Nikon,
was it stolen?
Seriously though, I went for black too, even though I really like the chrome version. It is a bit more noticeable though especially to the wrong people.
01-25-2021, 09:25 AM   #60
Pentaxian

I would at least wait until the K-3 III is available or at the very least until the price is known.

The same lack of features has also meant the KP has left me cold and I'd add to the list the lower-capacity battery. I suspect the K-3 III will be too expensive for me but if the price comes down I can see the possibility of upgrading to it in a few years time.