Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 67 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2021, 07:24 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KP today or K3iii in a month?

The Adorama deal on the KP has me confused. I had always avoided buying this camera because the K-3 has a few features I thought I would miss too much to compromise on (top lcd, dual slots, frame rate, buffer size, grip). My position on these features has mellowed.

Like the KP the K3iii has been on my radar also. The smaller KP body and the lack of a tilting screen on the K3iii (I know this is a hot button for some people but it is what it is.) are about the only feature that the KP has that I wish the K-3iii had.

Do I...

1) Buy a KP and keep my K-3 for backup.

2) Wait and buy the K-3iii and keep the K-3 as a backup.

3) Buy the KP, sell the K-3, buy the K-3iii in the near future.

01-23-2021, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you need the body within the next three months get it now. Nobody knows when the K3 III will actually start shipping, it could be in 2 months or could be in 6.
01-23-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
Forum Member

With the KP you probably won’t miss the top lcd, you can flip the tilting screen. The KP’s grip is fine, you can also use your K-3’s battery with the battery grip. If I were you, option 3 would be great for me. KP is more compact (I prefer small backpacks), and the K-3-3 should bring the best in tech at the moment.

Last edited by Caribe; 01-23-2021 at 07:50 PM.
01-23-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caribe Quote
With the KP you probably won’t miss the top lcd, you can flip the tilting screen. The KP’s grip is fine, you can also use your K-3’s battery. If I were you, option 3 would be great for me. KP is more compact (I prefer small backpacks), and the K-3-3 should bring the best in tech at the moment.
The K-3 battery does not fit the KP, it would fit the KP battery grip.

01-23-2021, 07:50 PM - 2 Likes   #5
dbs
Pentaxian

UncleVanya

1 cheapest option
2 probably 2x as much
3 3x a KP
its only money

Dave
01-23-2021, 07:51 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The K-3 battery does not fit the KP, it would fit the KP battery grip.
Your correct ��, I edited my comment.
01-23-2021, 08:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You're leaving out the $1200-$1500 difference in choices. If you have the money it makes more sense to wait a few weeks and get the K3iii. The difference between the K3 and KP may not represent as dramatic an upgrade so the money saving would be a false economy.

01-23-2021, 08:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you feel the KP is worth owning, buy it now and let the future sort itself out.
01-23-2021, 08:10 PM - 2 Likes   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

or seriously invest in that A7 body...
01-23-2021, 08:10 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
UncleVanya

1 cheapest option
2 probably 2x as much
3 3x a KP
its only money

Dave
Maybe I should plan to sell off the K-3 and not keep it as a backup. With that change, the net cost would be:

1) $400 or so with a spare battery and taxes.

2) $1600 including taxes? Keeping some of my existing spare batteries.

While I can afford a lot of different scenarios I have other priorities I want to keep money free for. Given this I think it’s either the KP or K-3iii.
01-23-2021, 08:23 PM   #11
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi UncleVanya

Over your photographic journey how important is a back up body to you ?
Or have just kept the last one bought and then sold on a couple of gen later.
Your option no 4,5, muddied the water..

Dave
01-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The Adorama deal on the KP has me confused. I had always avoided buying this camera because the K-3 has a few features I thought I would miss too much to compromise on (top lcd, dual slots, frame rate, buffer size, grip). My position on these features has mellowed.

Like the KP the K3iii has been on my radar also. The smaller KP body and the lack of a tilting screen on the K3iii (I know this is a hot button for some people but it is what it is.) are about the only feature that the KP has that I wish the K-3iii had.

Do I...

I don't think I'd buy the first K-3iii off the assembly line, unless maybe I desperately needed some feature it had. Or any other camera for that matter. There are all kinds of issues that might come up once people start using them, some of which might be fixed by firmware, some not. I don't own a KP but it seems to have proven solid so I'd probably go with that choice. I would say the battery is the biggest issue. When batteries are new I can see the smaller one not being an issue, but when they age just a little, I don't know, because I don't have experience with that. I know that with the larger third-party batteries, they're fine when new, but not so good after a couple of years. For me a grip wouldn't be an option since that would be too large.
01-23-2021, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do I...

Well Brad, only you can really answer this, it's your money. I have a KP, never had a K-3, and don't intend to buy a K-3III. I'm not in the market for a new camera at this time, and when I am, it probably won't be the K-3III, unless I have come into a lot of money and just buy it as an "additional" camera. But for me choosing between the KP and K-3III, I would choose the KP because of the tilting screen, I use it a lot. Who knows, I'm not saying I would never buy one, if the K-3III comes out and the autofocus blows everything away, maybe I'll feel different, but probably not.

I love the KP, one of the things that I do love about it is the tilt screen. I do a lot of shooting from a tripod, and I like to shoot at low heights, and my knees are not what they used to be. That tilt screen makes it a lot easier ands faster to work. And if you are shooting a sunset, moonrise, etc, you only have the time nature gives you. Also the lower light abilities and improved shake reduction really makes it stand out shooting in low light without a tripod. I got over a top screen when I replaced a K20D with a K-30, that took about five minutes to get over, frames rate and buffer, I don't often use continuous shooting, when I do the KP is adequate. The grip took a week or two to get used to, now the grip on my K-50 feels weird and bulky, I prefer the KP (large) grip. One of the K-3III promos mentions the importance of the middle finger in gripping the camera, and it made sense, it's the finger that steadies the camera in the right hand. This is how these thing work for me, you are not me (i hope your knees are better!), you are you. Of course I believe that you also have some Sony and maybe Olympus cameras, so you have a lot of possible differences to compare what is important and what isn't.

I know you can't go wrong with a KP, but I don't know what's best for you. If I could afford to do so, option 3 would be a slam dunk.
01-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Well Brad, only you can really answer this, it's your money.

I got over a top screen when I replaced a K20D with a K-30, that took about five minutes to get over, frames rate and buffer, I don't often use continuous shooting, when I do the KP is adequate.

The grip took a week or two to get used to, now the grip on my K-50 feels weird and bulky, I prefer the KP (large) grip. One of the K-3III promos mentions the importance of the middle finger in gripping the camera, and it made sense, it's the finger that steadies the camera in the right hand. This is how these thing work for me, you are not me (i hope your knees are better!), you are you. Of course I believe that you also have some Sony and maybe Olympus cameras, so you have a lot of possible differences to compare what is important and what isn't.
You make good points. I went from a k100d super to a K-50, and yes I got over the lack of a top screen.

Weirdly my middle finger is a problem. I have an issue called trigger finger. The issue gets worse with weight and repeated use but it is mostly a non-issue so far. I just worry a change in grip style could push my issue along.

You are correct I do have a Sony A7R2 as well as a few m43 bodies (Panasonic GX1 / GX7 / GX8) and an Olympus OMD-EM1. Some common themes - all of the cameras save the GX1 have tilt screens and WiFi and Bluetooth. All were obtained after the cameras were no longer top of their brand. This includes the K-3 which I bought after the K-3ii was out. I tend to lay back and buy after the price has fallen.

I think this is helping push me towards option 1 or 1a (selling the K-3.)
01-23-2021, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Weirdly my middle finger is a problem. I have an issue called trigger finger. The issue gets worse with weight and repeated use but it is mostly a non-issue so far. I just worry a change in grip style could push my issue along.
If,you lean towards a KP....go and handle one first.You could dislike the feel, like many have.