Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2021, 04:28 AM - 3 Likes   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Excited as I am about the launch of the K-3III, even if I were in the market for one in the short term, I wouldn't be entirely comfortable being an "early adopter". No matter how well thought-out, designed and tested a new model is, it takes a few months... perhaps a year, even... for any manufacturing or firmware problems to be discovered and addressed. Plus, it sometimes takes a few weeks or months for new camera support to appear in raw processing software, too... Not a problem if you're happy to rely on bundled software (does Pentax still ship with PDCU?), but frustrating if you use Adobe or other third party commercial software.

The KP is a proven and well-liked body with superb image quality. If you're happy with the form factor, and if the specifications and features meet your requirements, then - especially when cost is factored in - I actually think it's a great option and something of a bargain. Just be sure that you're content with aspects such as the single SD card slot, small continuous shooting buffer, shutter life, lack of top display, different battery type, battery life etc.

My K-3 and K-3II still serve me well, and they have features I think I might miss in the KP... but I suspect I'd soon get used to the differences, and the reality is only a small percentage of amateur photographers truly need those additional features. Plus, the KP's flippy screen is a very nice feature none of the APS-C flagships can boast...

01-24-2021, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The Adorama deal on the KP has me confused. I had always avoided buying this camera because the K-3 has a few features I thought I would miss too much to compromise on (top lcd, dual slots, frame rate, buffer size, grip). My position on these features has mellowed.

Like the KP the K3iii has been on my radar also. The smaller KP body and the lack of a tilting screen on the K3iii (I know this is a hot button for some people but it is what it is.) are about the only feature that the KP has that I wish the K-3iii had.

Do I...

1) Buy a KP and keep my K-3 for backup.

2) Wait and buy the K-3iii and keep the K-3 as a backup.

3) Buy the KP, sell the K-3, buy the K-3iii in the near future.
You've already thought out the feature pluses/minuses, so just depends of the depth of budget and urgency of need.
traveler
01-24-2021, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A KP is a worthy Pentax experience.

Go with what you think will bring you the most fun/joy.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-24-2021 at 05:08 AM.
01-24-2021, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Option 3. I doubt there are big differences in DR between KP and MK3. KP for tripod, MK3 for other stuff then. 2MP will not make a difference.

But, if mk3 has 16x pixelshift mode, it outputs a nice 104 MP RAW. It is roughly as good as Fuji GFX100 then in raw resolving power if you have good lenses.

01-24-2021, 05:21 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing what is there to consider is that this new camera has well thought over functions and more, in form of i.e joystick and that focus system and touchscreen big OVF... if this is something you consider that you need from your next Pentax(you might have something like that already with your A7r2?) then there is no other thing than to wait one month(or more if you are not early adopter) and save for new biggest thing. K-P don’t bring any of that on the table, even if it does have it’s strengths.
01-24-2021, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless money really is no consideration, what you are really talking about is a KP + $1,000 for gear/experience outlays versus a bare K3iii + no extra gear/travel money.

For me, I'm probably going with the former (well to KEEP my KP, that is and have the cash for a super lens and/or travel). But if you don't have to consider tradeoffs, buying the very best is always fine too.
01-24-2021, 06:35 AM   #37

I'd just keep and use my K3 (I love that camera) over a new KP. However, the articulated screen on the KP is a really nice feature and the price for the KP is attractive as well. Frankly, the fact that the new K3III does not have the articulated screen will most probably keep me from updating to that body in the future. My K3 may end up being the last serious camera I ever purchase! However, I am tempted to get a high performance travel compact and have been looking at them for some time now. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on one due to the price and the limited zoom range options on the larger sensors. Good luck and good shooting to all.

01-24-2021, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think what I'll be doing once some of the new K3III user reports start coming in is selling one of my K-70's in 2-3 months, which BTW has an even flippier screen (not that I ever use it), and adding the new Pentax. That along with the K1 and remaining K70 I have should be all the camera I ever need.

I think I already have the lenses for it so the only added expense will be the camera itself less whatever I get for the K70 along with a couple of current lenses that overlap and underappreciated. With any luck perhaps $500 out-of-pocket is all it takes.
01-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
That bigger VF sounds like a good argument for the K-3III, especially if you’re a glasses wearer like me. Ricoh have made such a big thing of it, so I’m keen to see what it looks like. I’d keep my K-3II as well, as I’d miss the GPS function.
Does anyone here with a KP have an opinion on the glasses use question? I find the k-3 useable but the eye relief is shorter than I wish.
01-24-2021, 07:43 AM - 5 Likes   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Summing up:

No camera equipment is going to make a massive difference in my photography. I have gear that can outperform me already available to me.

Improving my photography requires more direct practice and effort and is independent of gear. I think that is a parallel effort.

The KP brings me a few interesting tools I miss when shooting Pentax today vs my other systems: WiFi, tilting screen, size/weight of the body. It also brings pixel shift and higher high iso performance which I’m keen to try out.

I think I’ll order one today. The future can sort itself. Thanks all.
01-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Look for a kit which has the battery grip. It extends shooting time a lot and eats your current K-3 battery.
01-24-2021, 09:18 AM - 3 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Placed my order for a KP. No grip. I can add one if I need it. Current kit pricing nearly the same as buying separate. Will evaluate need after the camera is here.
01-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #43
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Summing up:

No camera equipment is going to make a massive difference in my photography. I have gear that can outperform me already available to me.

Improving my photography requires more direct practice and effort and is independent of gear. I think that is a parallel effort.

The KP brings me a few interesting tools I miss when shooting Pentax today vs my other systems: WiFi, tilting screen, size/weight of the body. It also brings pixel shift and higher high iso performance which I’m keen to try out.

I think I’ll order one today. The future can sort itself. Thanks all.
Placed my order for a KP. No grip. I can add one if I need it. Current kit pricing nearly the same as buying separate. Will evaluate need after the camera is here.
Congratulations, Brad That was a wise choice, IMHO. Do let us know what you think once you've had a chance to play with it?
01-24-2021, 10:47 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Good move. Put a Limited lens on it and enjoy - it's a great Pentax!

Another good move would be to order an extra battery......or two if you go for the much cheaper non-OEM type from e.g. Amazon.

All the best.
Philip

(P.S. Wearing glasses isn't a problem for me with any Pentax.)

Last edited by MrB1; 01-24-2021 at 11:04 AM.
01-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Does anyone here with a KP have an opinion on the glasses use question? I find the k-3 useable but the eye relief is shorter than I wish.
I find the KP plenty usable with glasses.