Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Does anyone here with a KP have an opinion on the glasses use question? I find the k-3 useable but the eye relief is shorter than I wish.
I find it pretty good. Better than a lot of VFs I have tried.

01-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
was it stolen?
Seriously though, I went for black too, even though I really like the chrome version. It is a bit more noticeable though especially to the wrong people.
Lol. Fixed it.
01-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I would at least wait until the K-3 III is available or at the very least until the price is known.

The same lack of features has also meant the KP has left me cold and I'd add to the list the lower-capacity battery. I suspect the K-3 III will be too expensive for me but if the price comes down I can see the possibility of upgrading to it in a few years time.
That’s where I was for a while, but reevaluation led me to place an order this weekend.
01-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Originally posted by UncleVanya*
Does anyone here with a KP have an opinion on the glasses use question? I find the k-3 useable but the eye relief is shorter than I wish.
I also find the viewfinder on the KP very good with glasses.

01-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
I also find the viewfinder on the KP very good with glasses.
Thanks all. That is reassuring.
01-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #66
Pentaxian

I, too, find the KP VF fine with glasses. I think you made a wise choice. Enjoy!!!
01-25-2021, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
or seriously invest in that A7 body...
only if you’d be happy using your old K-mount lenses manually focused and don’t mind a lot of menu diving.
Pentax has superb external physical controls.

01-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
only if you’d be happy using your old K-mount lenses manually focused and don’t mind a lot of menu diving.
Pentax has superb external physical controls.
The new monster adapter offers autofocus for the k Mount autofocus lenses on Sony e Mount bodies. It is expected to be available in the next month or so.
01-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You'll probably love the KP Uncle, particularly so as it''s a significant upgrade from the Pentax you've been using. Feature-wise I never had a single complaint about mine.
01-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

[quote=Jonathan Mac;5196268...
"The same lack of features has also meant the KP has left me cold"
...[/quote]

You are one of the VERY few I've ever seen criticize the KP for lacking features!

Re. battery, if you really are taking that many thousands of pictures, a battery grip with the large battery is easily obtained to supplement.
01-25-2021, 12:30 PM - 3 Likes   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
or seriously invest in that A7 body...
My 81 year old dad went crazy and bought me the 28FE/2 and the 85FE/1.8 for Christmas along with the body and then the loaned 24-105/4 was given as a birthday gift. I bought a 28-70 f3.5-5.6 before I knew the 24-105 was going to be mine as a way of having something in the normal range with AF. He's overjoyed to have spending money again and he is lavishing it on me despite my protests. I plan on buying the monster adapter for K to E autofocus use as soon as it is made available - that will let me use my K mount gear on my Sony better than I can already with the MF adapters. For the time being I'm trying to hold the line at JUST these and not buy anything more for Sony until I evaluate how useful the adapted glass with AF will be. The FA 31 and FA 77 in particular are on my list along with the DA* 200, DA* 60-250, and FA* 300 - these longer lenses in particular are very pricey in Sony land and being able to leverage one set of long lenses for now will hold down the costs of dual systems.
01-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I plan on buying the monster adapter for K to E autofocus use as soon as it is made available - that will let me use my K mount gear on my Sony better than I can already with the MF adapters. For the time being I'm trying to hold the line at JUST these and not buy anything more for Sony until I evaluate how useful the adapted glass with AF will be. The FA 31 and FA 77 in particular are on my list along with the DA* 200, DA* 60-250, and FA* 300 - these longer lenses in particular are very pricey in Sony land and being able to leverage one set of long lenses for now will hold down the costs of dual systems.
Smart.

I'll be watching for reviews of that adapter as I have zero desire to start another collection of glass even if I'm interested in playing with different non-Pentax camera bodies. My Pentax lens collection is great and more than one Sony shooter has told me some of the best lenses they have are Pentax.
01-25-2021, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
You are one of the VERY few I've ever seen criticize the KP for lacking features!

Re. battery, if you really are taking that many thousands of pictures, a battery grip with the large battery is easily obtained to supplement.
TO be fair he is responding to my initial post in which I said:

...I had always avoided buying this camera because the K-3 has a few features I thought I would miss too much to compromise on (top lcd, dual slots, frame rate, buffer size, grip). My position on these features has mellowed.
I'm far from the only person who feels this way. This sparked a lot of debate about the K-P and endless threads about IF it was the new flagship or not when the K3ii was discontinued. The "missing" features are only missing when compared to the older K-3/K-3ii models (and now the K-3iii). Nikon for example can offer some of these but not all of them. The K-3 series was a seriously amazing offering and while the K-P appears to be a fantastic camera (and I have now ordered mine) it fell short on a few features from being a complete replacement for those of us who had the older series and loved it. My own evaluation tells me I'm able to look past top lcd, the slight drop in frame rate, the buffer size difference, and the grip. However the advantages for me, Pixel Shift, lighter weight, smaller body, higher performance at high iso, etc. are all worth taking the leap.
01-25-2021, 01:02 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote

I don't own a KP and therefore don't currently have a dog in this fight, but you've got to be kidding. You've must have heard many forum members complain about the tiny and incompatible battery (and no a grip is not even close to an acceptable alternative), or the lack of a top LCD, or the lack of an articulating LCD, or the lack of the standard Pentax remote compatibility?
01-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #75
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm far from the only person who feels this way. This sparked a lot of debate about the K-P and endless threads about IF it was the new flagship or not when the K3ii was discontinued. The "missing" features are only missing when compared to the older K-3/K-3ii models (and now the K-3iii). Nikon for example can offer some of these but not all of them. The K-3 series was a seriously amazing offering and while the K-P appears to be a fantastic camera (and I have now ordered mine) it fell short on a few features from being a complete replacement for those of us who had the older series and loved it. My own evaluation tells me I'm able to look past top lcd, the slight drop in frame rate, the buffer size difference, and the grip. However the advantages for me, Pixel Shift, lighter weight, smaller body, higher performance at high iso, etc. are all worth taking the leap.
I remember when the KP was released, folks (myself included) were kind of expecting it to be the new "flagship" APS-C model, with the same or better features as the K-3 / K-3II. Hence, it was quite strongly criticised for lacking certain features, despite adding some excellent new ones. When you consider the KP as a distinct model in its own right, though, and stop comparing it to the K-3 line, it makes more sense... and at current pricing, I just think it seems like one heck of a bargain.

If I was in the market for a new body, I'd have a hard time passing up on the KP, even though it lacks a couple of things I'd like. The K-3III is going to be fantastic, I'm certain, and probably well worth the money... but the KP offers incredible bang for the buck. As it is, my K-3 is still going strong and my K-3II is barely broken in, so I'll have to wait for now