Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 67 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2021, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #91

The KP is a good choice, especially at its current price. I bought mine in December 2018, mainly because it has Pixel Shift feature. I find it complements my K-5 and K-3 nicely (I still use all 3 cameras) the KP does do better in low light - so I tend to use it more in low light situations though.
I do plan to get the K-3 III eventually at which point I will probably keep the K-5 and the KP. As to the KP's rather different ergonomics its really not that hard to get used to even if you really liked the K-5/K-3 ergonomics and handling. I would recommend the battery grip, the KP handles nicely with it, better than the K-3 with its battery grip.

01-26-2021, 03:30 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Mine arrives tomorrow! No grip however.
I think I'm just going to go for it! The K3iii could still be a few months off, and will probably launch at twice the cost of a KP with battery grip.
01-26-2021, 04:29 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never found the KP battery a thing.... a 2nd battery is always needed if shooting is critical.... and... the KP 2nd battery in your pocket is lighter.... same concept as having a spare tyre.

Anyway.... after a while I did buy the KP grip... once I decided the KP was a keeper. Well worth the $200.... makes it a very versitile camera. I'm not a big grip person... but a usefull thing in the KPs case for "considered work".
01-26-2021, 04:35 PM - 2 Likes   #94
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I've never found the KP battery a thing.... a 2nd battery is always needed if shooting is critical.... and... the KP 2nd battery in your pocket is lighter.... same concept as having a spare tyre.

Anyway.... after a while I did buy the KP grip... once I decided the KP was a keeper. Well worth the $200.... makes it a very versitile camera.
Carrying a spare battery is zero issue IMO.

I'll typically have two spares for the K1 and two fresh ones for the K-70's in a cloth 4-battery pouch and stowed in a slingbag. If I need to travel super light then tossing one in my pocket wrapped in a lens cloth works too. Easy. Stressing over battery life is silly. It's not like you can't see well ahead of time that a battery change is coming up, and do it between shot opportunities.

01-26-2021, 05:18 PM - 2 Likes   #95
Pentaxian

I'm also firmly in the "spare battery" camp,I can't see the point in investing in a bolt on extra which still requires the purchase of........more batteries!
01-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I'm also firmly in the "spare battery" camp,I can't see the point in investing in a bolt on extra which still requires the purchase of........more batteries!
The "grip" is nice when using tele's for extended periods..... or any long session considered shooting. Thats one of the good things about the KP.... it can be small..... or with a grip it can be almost normal.....
01-26-2021, 06:58 PM   #97
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
The "grip" is nice when using tele's for extended periods..... or any long session considered shooting. Thats one of the good things about the KP.... it can be small..... or with a grip it can be almost normal.....
" To grip or not to grip, that is the question "

options can be very very nice

assuming you can afford the grip and will use it from time to time

01-27-2021, 01:47 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think it makes sense to have the battery grip as an option, otherwise it would limit the KP's desirability for anyone shooting professionally. However I wouldn't want a grip myself as I like the compact feel, and will just stick another battery in my pocket in case it is needed.
01-27-2021, 06:09 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
If I had something like the 150-450 attached to the KP for any period of time it'd be a life saver. Luckily I don't have the funds so my back is saved.
01-27-2021, 07:37 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
If I had something like the 150-450 attached to the KP for any period of time it'd be a life saver. Luckily I don't have the funds so my back is saved.
I had a Bigma for a year or so,as time went on I found I was using it less and less because it was such a beast to lug about
01-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #101
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

". . . . there is a season . . . . "

a time for a big heavy lens, a time for a small light lens
01-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
KP Arrived yesterday. Using large grip so far, but the medium grip isn't too bad. Hard to adjust at first - that first night I thought it might have to send it back. Today the grip is not a problem. Seems to take a bit to get used to. Loving most of the experience...

Not a lot of images so far - I've been stuck working and I had an event last night. Looking to the weekend to really explore.

Oh for those keeping track at home:
1st lens used: HD DA 70
2nd lens used: FA 31 Ltd
Nothing else has been mounted yet.
01-28-2021, 06:57 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
KP Arrived yesterday. Using large grip so far, but the medium grip isn't too bad. Hard to adjust at first - that first night I thought it might have to send it back. Today the grip is not a problem. Seems to take a bit to get used to. Loving most of the experience...

Not a lot of images so far - I've been stuck working and I had an event last night. Looking to the weekend to really explore.

Oh for those keeping track at home:
1st lens used: HD DA 70
2nd lens used: FA 31 Ltd
Nothing else has been mounted yet.
Just stick with it Uncle, it's like a new pair of progressive glasses when all you've used is reading glasses. The KP in-hand feel can be quite different from any other recent Pentax camera you've owned so it might take a while to adapt but the KP is worth it. Excellent camera, especially for the price you paid. Congrats!

BTW, you'll seriously appreciate a *55 on it.
01-28-2021, 09:09 PM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Just stick with it Uncle, it's like a new pair of progressive glasses when all you've used is reading glasses. The KP in-hand feel can be quite different from any other recent Pentax camera you've owned so it might take a while to adapt but the KP is worth it. Excellent camera, especially for the price you paid. Congrats!

BTW, you'll seriously appreciate a *55 on it.
I am getting the “hand” of it.

And my DA* 55 is likely next up on the camera.
01-28-2021, 10:38 PM   #105
Veteran Member

To me.... it is sorta like holding a K1000.... anyway I've played with all 3 grips (they didn't come with the KP... had to buy them).... anyhow.... medium for me..... now trying to just leave the medium on when I add the battery grip .... which I use about 50%of the time.