Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 67 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2021, 01:33 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Brilliant. It is a superb camera but the grip takes a while. I used medium for ages now I am back using large. For quite a while I preferred the k3 grip but the button and dial set up made the KP a nicer experience overall. Today the ground is sodden but I wanted to shoot snowdrops! Score one for the flip screen. What options have you set on the top dial? I have EV iso and outline bracketing, but I may change that. Its so handy, the whole exposure triangle in dials when shooting in Av welcome to the happy band of KP shooters

01-29-2021, 02:52 AM   #107
Veteran Member

When I got my KP one month ago, I thought about dismounting the small grip to mount the large grip at once, because I was used to the large grip of my K-S2.

My wife said no! Said that I should try to get used to the existing small grip before changing.

She was right, after all. I'm rather liking the S grip, I just need to handle the camera differently.
01-29-2021, 02:53 AM   #108
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've left the big grip on after trying them all, mainly for use with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 I have but also because it just feels natural and there's no difference in 'pack' size with any grip, so it's aesthetics and ergonomics which are the grip choice driver for me. So far the only thing on my KP I don't like, apart from the infinite customization constantly testing my memory but I'm winning, is, I miss the IR remote and I find the onboard flash a bit feeble, none of these are game changers though and I knew this was the case before I made my purchase.

Right now it's sitting on my desk with the 20-40 on and my desk lamp lighting it, looking cool and sophisticated, unlike it's owner.
01-29-2021, 03:19 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Brilliant. It is a superb camera but the grip takes a while. I used medium for ages now I am back using large. For quite a while I preferred the k3 grip but the button and dial set up made the KP a nicer experience overall. Today the ground is sodden but I wanted to shoot snowdrops! Score one for the flip screen. What options have you set on the top dial? I have EV iso and outline bracketing, but I may change that. Its so handy, the whole exposure triangle in dials when shooting in Av welcome to the happy band of KP shooters
It seems that we have another articulated screen enthusiast, and perhaps also one more Pentaxian who realises how Pentax have made the wrong decision by not including the feature on the flagship K-3 III. Even the new Sony flagship Alpha 1 has a tilt-screen, and it is of the same slim style and mechanism as that of our wonderful KP!

Philip

01-29-2021, 04:14 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
It seems that we have another articulated screen enthusiast, and perhaps also one more Pentaxian who realises how Pentax have made the wrong decision by not including the feature on the flagship K-3 III. Even the new Sony flagship Alpha 1 has a tilt-screen, and it is of the same slim style and mechanism as that of our wonderful KP!

Philip
I love mine. Don't use it a massive amount but it is so useful. Yeah, the lack of a flip screen on the k3iii is an odd one but it wouldn't be a deal breaker as the rest of the camera is really good. If I knew I needed low or high shots I would just take the KP just as an as aside, given the reaction, I wonder if Pentax are regretting their decision lol
01-29-2021, 04:33 AM   #111
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought (hoped) the flippy screen debate was over and done with It can't be the "wrong" decision... It's just a design choice - for reasons we don't yet (and may never) know - that some folks will be OK with and others won't. I own cameras both with and without articulating screens, and I'm OK with Ricoh's choice. I do understand why some folks like and use them, but I'm ambivalent... I used the one on my Hasselblad HV a couple of years ago for one shot on a beach, but nothing since then...

The KP's a great choice for those who need a flippy screen. It's nice to have options
01-29-2021, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I thought (hoped) the flippy screen debate was over and done with It can't be the "wrong" decision... It's just a design choice - for reasons we don't yet (and may never) know - that some folks will be OK with and others won't. I own cameras both with and without articulating screens, and I'm OK with Ricoh's choice. I do understand why some folks like and use them, but I'm ambivalent... I used the one on my Hasselblad HV a couple of years ago for one shot on a beach, but nothing since then...

The KP's a great choice for those who need a flippy screen. It's nice to have options
Oooooh it will never die lol you would think we are debating about a screen with a camera rather than the other way round. I switch between my KP and k3 all the time and never give the screen a second thought. I would happily ...... ecstatically...... deliriously? Buy a K3iii for all the other features. Pentax being right or wrong is pretty subjective and all the arguments boil down eventually to personal choice. You may as well argue which is better, red or blue (its blue BTW, )

01-29-2021, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #113
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wrong! It's RED you...[insert nasty personal comment about you and your flawed logic here]!
01-29-2021, 05:35 AM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Wrong! It's RED you...[insert nasty personal comment about you and your flawed logic here]!
WHO ARE YOU CALLING A(N) [insert nasty personal comment about you and your flawed logic here]! YOU [insert nasty personal comment about you and your flawed logic here]!

And its Blue

Unless we are talking politics, in which case its red ........... or possibly green 😁
01-29-2021, 05:50 AM - 3 Likes   #115
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
WHO ARE YOU CALLING A(N) [insert nasty personal comment about you and your flawed logic here]! YOU [insert nasty personal comment about you and your flawed logic here]!

And its Blue

Unless we are talking politics, in which case its red ........... or possibly green 😁
Frankly, I'm thoroughly shocked by the language that could potentially be inserted here
01-29-2021, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #116
Pentaxian

Mike, it's very rare that I disagree with you, but in this case I would hope that the 'debate' continues, so that Pentax might have the good sense to include an articulated screen of some sort in the K-3 Mark IV.

It is a 'wrong' decision because the 'options' you mention involve having two APS-C cameras - KP (or K-70) and K-3 Mark III, if the photographer wants to be prepared for different shooting positions. This is a non-option for those who do not wish (or who are not able) to carry around the weight and bulk of an extra body, or those who cannot afford two cameras but would have sold the KP to fund the K-3 Mark III.

A camera with an articulated screen gives those who don't wish to use it the option of it leaving fixed in its home position, therefore it would seem likely that those not bothered about such a screen would buy the new model even if it had one. But the Pentax decision is 'wrong' as they could lose sales of their flagship from those who would rather stay with the KP, or move to another system, because they find an articulated screen useful for the extra shooting options that it gives them.

Philip
01-29-2021, 06:01 AM - 2 Likes   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frankly, I'm thoroughly shocked by the language that could potentially be inserted here
😂😂😂

Can't beat a diy burn you tailor it to your own bespoke level of hurtful nastiness he is an evil genius that @JGNFLD
01-29-2021, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #118
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike, it's very rare that I disagree with you, but in this case I would hope that the 'debate' continues, so that Pentax might have the good sense to include an articulated screen of some sort in the K-3 Mark IV.
Indeed, you and I rarely disagree - yet I don't mind when we do, since its civilised and constructive (as your reply demonstrates). I'll happily take disagreements like that all day long

It is a 'wrong' decision because the 'options' you mention involve having two APS-C cameras - KP (or K-70) and K-3 Mark III, if the photographer wants to be prepared for different shooting positions. This is a non-option for those who do not wish (or who are not able) to carry around the weight and bulk of an extra body, or those who cannot afford two cameras but would have sold the KP to fund the K-3 Mark III.

A camera with an articulated screen gives those who don't wish to use it the option of it leaving fixed in its home position, therefore it would seem likely that those not bothered about such a screen would buy the new model even if it had one. But the Pentax decision is 'wrong' as they could lose sales of their flagship from those who would rather stay with the KP, or move to another system, because they find an articulated screen useful for the extra shooting options that it gives them.
I don't disagree with your points, Philip... only the assertion that Ricoh's decision is "wrong", as that's subjective. I agree that it may lose them some sales they'd otherwise have secured... but you can guarantee it was a conscious design decision with - I'm certain - good reasons. They didn't just forget to include it, or assume no-one would mind whether the camera had one or not. They'll know full well that some folks would have preferred a flippy screen. Hence, I don't accept the premise that their decision can be "wrong"... only that some folks will disagree with it, and others won't mind.
01-29-2021, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #119
Loyal Site Supporter

Philip
I strongly suspect a new Pentax APS-c camera one step below the K3III will be added to the lineup relatively(!) soon, and come with a "flippy screen". Pentax already knows some segment of shooters consider one necessary, they don't need us to remind them. Often. And regularly.

The K3III is NOT that camera and everyone should by now understand it does not and will not have one. Could we maybe move on from what the K3III doesn't have and discuss what it DOES bring to the table for Pentax DSLR fans?
01-29-2021, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #120
Pentaxian

Indeed, you and I rarely disagree - yet I don't mind when we do, since its civilised and constructive (as your reply demonstrates). I'll happily take disagreements like that all day long
I don't disagree with your points, Philip... only the assertion that Ricoh's decision is "wrong", as that's subjective. I agree that it may lose them some sales they'd otherwise have secured... but you can guarantee it was a conscious design decision with - I'm certain - good reasons. They didn't just forget to include it, or assume no-one would mind whether the camera had one or not. They'll know full well that some folks would have preferred a flippy screen. Hence, I don't accept the premise that their decision can be "wrong"... only that some folks will disagree with it, and others won't mind.
Thank you, Mike, but it seems that we will amicably continue to disagree. In the context of this debate, 'wrong' is right!!

All the best.
Philip