Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 67 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2021, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Ref: grips. My trigger finger issue does make the k-3 style grip feel better. I’m hoping to address this medically. It isn’t a deal breaker at this point but it is a concern. The other aspects of the camera are really lovely.

01-29-2021, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #122
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ref: grips. My trigger finger issue does make the k-3 style grip feel better. I’m hoping to address this medically. It isn’t a deal breaker at this point but it is a concern. The other aspects of the camera are really lovely.
Did you mean to say medicinally rather than medically?
01-29-2021, 05:12 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1st lens used: HD DA 70
2nd lens used: FA 31 Ltd
Excellent choices. If you have the DA 21mm Ltd too, that would be a very fine set, then the DA 15mm Ltd as it is sooo compact for carrying an extra-wide.

As to available options, I love my KP for its variable design, its many features, along with its superb image quality, and its many available options, including options like its built-in flash and tilt screen, which though I don't use frequently, like the battery grip, I do use them when needed- sometimes fairly often, sometimes not often, but when needed, there they are. For me, it is like my buying a car, I always go for a loaded one.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-29-2021 at 05:23 PM.
02-07-2021, 07:34 AM   #124

Last year I got a KP and have a K3ii for about 4 years. I got the KP when I found a used one for under 600. I have to say that I bought it really just because I thought it would be perfect for all the limited lenses, and it really is. I don't think I will sell it ever as it's just a fantastic fit, unless pentax releases a KPii.

I found the autofocus to be somewhat better than the K3ii. It has different algorithms and even with screwdrive lenses I can tell the difference. I also have found the iso pefromance great. I would try to not go above 800 on the K3ii and 1600 and 3200 were compromises mostly. I always shot raw to eek out the IQ. I shoot a decent amount of kids sports and activities in bad lighting. With the KP I set the iso limit to 12800 as it's that good and for action I mostly shoot jpg now because the jpg output is that much better and I get a bigger buffer and smaller files.

The grip makes the body feel smaller. It's a little lighter. It makes a difference if you pair it with a tiny lens for sure.

So my plan is to keep the KP for as long as possible and I will get a K3iii when the time is right, unless pentax releases a KPii that has the bigger viewfinder and a better buffer.

All that to say, the KP might or might not be a good stop gap for you. If you are looking at it like that, you might as well just save up and wait for the K3iii. If you think the KP design is exciting in itself, you can't beat the current used and new prices.

02-07-2021, 07:47 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
Last year I got a KP and have a K3ii for about 4 years. I got the KP when I found a used one for under 600. I have to say that I bought it really just because I thought it would be perfect for all the limited lenses, and it really is. I don't think I will sell it ever as it's just a fantastic fit, unless pentax releases a KPii.

I found the autofocus to be somewhat better than the K3ii. It has different algorithms and even with screwdrive lenses I can tell the difference. I also have found the iso pefromance great. I would try to not go above 800 on the K3ii and 1600 and 3200 were compromises mostly. I always shot raw to eek out the IQ. I shoot a decent amount of kids sports and activities in bad lighting. With the KP I set the iso limit to 12800 as it's that good and for action I mostly shoot jpg now because the jpg output is that much better and I get a bigger buffer and smaller files.

The grip makes the body feel smaller. It's a little lighter. It makes a difference if you pair it with a tiny lens for sure.

So my plan is to keep the KP for as long as possible and I will get a K3iii when the time is right, unless pentax releases a KPii that has the bigger viewfinder and a better buffer.

All that to say, the KP might or might not be a good stop gap for you. If you are looking at it like that, you might as well just save up and wait for the K3iii. If you think the KP design is exciting in itself, you can't beat the current used and new prices.
The KP just aligns with how I shoot. I could care less about buffer size and all that jazz.

I really hope we get a KP II with a larger viewfinder and the better video. I think it would be a perfect lineup, K3* series for high action, KP* for the portrait/landscape/macro photographer and the K** for the intermediate or beginner photographer.
02-07-2021, 07:48 AM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

I bought two weeks ago. Thanks for the input, it matches my impressions.
02-07-2021, 08:00 AM   #127
Veteran Member

I didn't buy the KP for its look, but I have to admit that it looks good! So tiny with the S grip, especially when you attach a large lens like the Sigma 17-50 F2.8. I try to imagine how it looks with the DFA 150-450 or another monster lens like the recent DFA*.

02-07-2021, 08:17 AM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found that the KP went very well with my DFA 150-450. It handled nicely. Long hikes with the combo were in the past but for shorter outings it was a fun combination. The pictures were excellent.
02-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter

... With the KP I set the iso limit to 12800 as it's that good and for action I mostly shoot jpg now because the jpg output is that much better and I get a bigger buffer and smaller files.

The grip makes the body feel...[GREAT!]... If you think the KP design is exciting in itself, you can't beat the current used and new prices.
Exactly the KP ISO value I've settled on though it still scares me.
02-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Exactly the KP ISO value I've settled on though it still scares me.
12800 is a stop higher than I normally use so far, but I had one day I used 25600.

I would typically hold the k-3 to 3200 and rarely go up 6400 but the KP looks so much better at that iso. I have shot a few higher iso shots beyond that on both cameras. One b&w made on the k-3 (high contrast low detail on purpose) was done at 25600 but I can’t think of any shots besides that one that were kept. On the KP even 25600 is drastically more usable than the k-3. It is more than a one stop advantage. I feel spoiled using it in low light.
02-07-2021, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

12800 is a stop higher than I normally use so far, but I had one day I used 25600.

I would typically hold the k-3 to 3200 and rarely go up 6400 but the KP looks so much better at that iso. I have shot a few higher iso shots beyond that on both cameras. One b&w made on the k-3 (high contrast low detail on purpose) was done at 25600 but I can’t think of any shots besides that one that were kept. On the KP even 25600 is drastically more usable than the k-3. It is more than a one stop advantage. I feel spoiled using it in low light.
Just got my new KP! I'm pretty amazed about how good the high ISO files look. I never went above 3200 on my k50. Now feel I can get useable/actually really good files at 12800. Which is great. Most of my work is low light. I was hesitant to pull the trigger on this camera with the K3iii on the way, but I have have no doubt after a week. The KP seems like a bargain now.
02-08-2021, 03:28 AM   #132
dlhawes

So, the problem is solved, so in one sense the issue is moot. And congrats, U-V, on the purchase.

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
... forum members complain[ed] about the tiny and incompatible battery (and no a grip is not even close to an acceptable alternative), or the lack of a top LCD, or the lack of an articulating LCD, or the lack of the standard Pentax remote compatibility?
Since one may use the K-1 battery in the KP battery grip, in addition to the "tiny" KP battery, and the grip adds the heft and size I like (in my larger than average hands), I find it does a good job of rounding out the product. I have never liked the top lcd, and it bothers me if it's there because I feel like I ought to be getting use out of it, and I don't - so that's useless to me. The tilt-a-whirl monitor would be handy on the rare occasion when I want to take a macro shot of a dandelion flower looking up at the bottom of the flower - I find that, using the K-1, I almost never actually use the thing - it's almost more trouble than it's worth. And I've never found any bluetooth or wi-fi connectivity to be particularly useful, either - just one more level of complexity and who needs it? I think the KP is practically perfect in every way except for one thing - it's not a K-1. (I typically photograph slow-moving or stationary subjects, myself, so both the KP and the K-1 are perfectly satisfactory in terms of frame rate.)

And, speaking of which, I find it interesting that there has been no mention of switching to full-frame in this thread that I noticed. Like, there ought to be another option: keep the K3 and get a K-1(2). Preserves the value of existing lenses while implementing a substantial upgrade. Eh?
02-08-2021, 07:22 AM - 2 Likes   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
And, speaking of which, I find it interesting that there has been no mention of switching to full-frame in this thread that I noticed. Like, there ought to be another option: keep the K3 and get a K-1(2). Preserves the value of existing lenses while implementing a substantial upgrade. Eh?
I can’t recall if it is buried in this thread but it has been discussed on the forum: I tried the K-1 for about a month with the 24-70. I couldn’t get used to the size. I then (much later) was gifted a Sony A7RII and I’m waiting to see if the Monster Autofocus K to E Mount adapter is a useful way to use my existing Pentax Autofocus glass on the Sony. For the moment - since this Sony was a gift - I’m going to keep that as my ff solution. However I’ve not found major differences between the Sony and the KP in their low light capability. The differences are vast in terms of how they operate and in terms of field of view with a given lens, but both have outstanding image quality.
02-09-2021, 12:43 AM - 2 Likes   #134
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
I think the KP is practically perfect in every way
maybe the KP replacement (if there ever is one) should be called the K - MP
02-09-2021, 03:08 AM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can’t recall if it is buried in this thread but it has been discussed on the forum: I tried the K-1 for about a month with the 24-70. I couldn’t get used to the size. I then (much later) was gifted a Sony A7RII and I’m waiting to see if the Monster Autofocus K to E Mount adapter is a useful way to use my existing Pentax Autofocus glass on the Sony. For the moment - since this Sony was a gift - I’m going to keep that as my ff solution. However I’ve not found major differences between the Sony and the KP in their low light capability. The differences are vast in terms of how they operate and in terms of field of view with a given lens, but both have outstanding image quality.
Gifted a Sony A7Rii?!?!?!?!?!? I am jealous! The menus may be poor but the IQ from FF Sonys is a delight