Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2021, 09:36 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SFX was the first AF SLR with a built in flash. May even have been the first SLR with built in flash, but I'm not sure.

01-25-2021, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The SFX was the first AF SLR with a built in flash. May even have been the first SLR with built in flash, but I'm not sure.
As I recall, a Pentax model was indeed the first to offer a built-in flash, but cannot recall which model. I just remember it caused quite a stir. My first Pentax AF model, acquired after 6 years shooting with the Pentax ME Super, was the SF-1n which had a built-in flash. At first it was criticized as a "wrong concept", as not being worth much in actual use, compared to the "right" way of flash use- being via a larger flash in the hot shoe or in an off-camera setup. But the critics were proven wrong by many satisfied users showing the shots they nailed due to the instant availability of their built-in Pentax flash. Soon, other manufacturers came forth with models incorporating a built-in flash, and the rest is history.

The Pentax Hyper System- Hyper P and Hyper Manual still has no equal as the fastest, most efficient operational system out there. My first awareness of this system and its virtues was upon buying my PZ-1p around 1997, which I still have.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-25-2021 at 12:28 PM.
01-25-2021, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I believe you are correct on both counts.

Steve
01-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The TAv Mode by name may be unique to Pentax, but the functionality is certainly available on some Canon cameras.
They have Auto-ISO in Manual Mode, which Pentax doesn't feature, which amounts to the same thing … choose your shutter speed and aperture (within reason) and the camera takes care of the exposure by shifting the sensitivity … I don't think they've got the ISO range that's available on the recent Pentax bodies, though
Nikon also has the same auto iso in manual which is basically the same thing as TAV on Pentax. No green button though. After seeing that TAV made no sense to me as it just clutter’s up the mode dial.

Catch in Focus was/is a very unique Pentax mode. They should expand on that for trap camera use.

They were also one of the first with IBIS, but now they need to get with the times and combine it with VR in lens like Olympus did and Canon/Sony/Nikon are also currently doing.

01-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Catch in Focus was/is a very unique Pentax mode.
My memory is that the behavior (bug?) was owner-discovered almost simultaneously by both Nikon and Pentax owners in about 2007 and became a menu setting on the K20D when that camera debuted. I suspect that Pentax is the only brand that actually supports it as a settable feature.

Steve
01-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My memory is that the behavior (bug?) was owner-discovered almost simultaneously by both Nikon and Pentax owners in about 2007 and became a menu setting on the K20D when that camera debuted. I suspect that Pentax is the only brand that actually supports it as a settable feature.

Steve
It’s a clever feature, but I wish they expanded on it. It could be a very useful tool for wildlife photographers setting camera traps. Which would go well with the weather resistance Pentax is known for.

I wish someone would build a lightning detection auto shutter feature as well.
01-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It’s a clever feature, but I wish they expanded on it. It could be a very useful tool for wildlife photographers setting camera traps. Which would go well with the weather resistance Pentax is known for.
Are you meaning something like this?

Catch-in-Focus for Unattended Shooting - PentaxForums.com

...or did you have something else in mind?

Steve

01-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you meaning something like this?

Catch-in-Focus for Unattended Shooting - PentaxForums.com

...or did you have something else in mind?

Steve

No your write up on it’s use is fantastic. It was pretty vague in Pentax’s manuals.

It would be cool if Pentax made trigger modules to “wake up” the camera so you could place them further down a trail for example.

I use my cell phone most of the time to remote trigger but it’s really hard for timing given I’m slow and then the lag time for wireless things to happen.
01-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #24
Pentaxian

They were also one of the first with IBIS, but now they need to get with the times and combine it with VR in lens like Olympus did and Canon/Sony/Nikon are also currently doing.
I think combining with in lens shake reduction is unnecessary, especially since Pentax doesn't focus on video at all.
You don't get shake reduction in lens without compromise, I remember reading something a while ago detailing the potential image quality disadvantages and cost increases.

With current pentax IBIS on the KP I can easily go down to 1/8 of a second or slower with a 135mm, and the times I have to do that are exceedingly rare.
01-27-2021, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, here’s my list so far. Feel free to let me know if I got some wrong or missed anything!
UNIQUE TO PENTAX:
1. GREEN BUTTON
2. COMPOSITION ADJUSTMENT (This looks really cool, but I haven’t tried it yet!)
3. AUTO-HORIZON LEVELING
4. ASTROTRACER
5. CATCH-IN-FOCUS
6. HYPER MANUAL
7. HYPER PROGRAM

PENTAX FIRSTS:
1. BUILT-IN-FLASH (SFX)
2. INSTANT RETURN MIRROR (Asahiflex)
3. SUCCESSFUL TTL LIGHT METER (Spotmatic)
4. AUTO FOCUS BODY AND LENS ( ME-F; I think the batteries were IN the lens housing!)
5. REMOVABLE, REVERSIBLE LENS HOODS
6. PIXEL SHIFT

POSSIBLE FIRSTS: (not yet verified)
1. WEATHER SEALING IN DSLR
2. MULTI COATING IN LENSES
3. SENSOR SHIFT USED FIRST IN DSLR
4. FIRST IBIS USED IN DSLR
5. TAv MODE

I have not been able to verify if DIGITAL PREVIEW is unique to Pentax, but I would not be surprised if it is!! I count 7 features unique to Pentax, 5 definite Pentax “firsts”, and 5 “possible” firsts. That is a pretty impressive list for a small brand!! I will edit this list if someone finds errors in it. This was just for fun and general info, so criticism or corrections won’t offend me. I like to learn! THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to this list!!
EDIT: MOVED PIXEL SHIFT TO "PENTAX FIRSTS"
---------- Post added 01-27-21 at 04:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think combining with in lens shake reduction is unnecessary, especially since Pentax doesn't focus on video at all.
You don't get shake reduction in lens without compromise, I remember reading something a while ago detailing the potential image quality disadvantages and cost increases.

With current pentax IBIS on the KP I can easily go down to 1/8 of a second or slower with a 135mm, and the times I have to do that are exceedingly rare.
Yes, I think IBIS is about as good as it gets!!

Last edited by que es tu; 01-28-2021 at 01:15 PM. Reason: FACT CHECK ON PIXEL SHIFT.
01-28-2021, 08:27 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Ok, here’s my list so far. Feel free to let me know if I got some wrong or missed anything!
UNIQUE TO PENTAX:
1. GREEN BUTTON
2. PIXEL SHIFT
3. COMPOSITION ADJUSTMENT (This looks really cool, but I haven’t tried it yet!)
4. AUTO-HORIZON LEVELING
5. ASTROTRACER
6. CATCH-IN-FOCUS
7. HYPER MANUAL
8. HYPER PROGRAM

PENTAX FIRSTS:
1. BUILT-IN-FLASH (SFX)
2. INSTANT RETURN MIRROR (Asahiflex)
3. SUCCESSFUL TTL LIGHT METER (Spotmatic)
4. AUTO FOCUS BODY AND LENS ( ME-F; I think the batteries were IN the lens housing!)
5. REMOVABLE, REVERSIBLE LENS HOODS

POSSIBLE FIRSTS: (not yet verified)
1. WEATHER SEALING IN DSLR
2. MULTI COATING IN LENSES
3. SENSOR SHIFT USED FIRST IN DSLR
4. FIRST IBIS USED IN DSLR
5. TAv MODE

I have not been able to verify if DIGITAL PREVIEW is unique to Pentax, but I would not be surprised if it is!! I count 8 features unique to Pentax, 5 definite Pentax “firsts”, and 5 “possible” firsts. That is a pretty impressive list for a small brand!! I will edit this list if someone finds errors in it. This was just for fun and general info, so criticism or corrections won’t offend me. I like to learn! THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to this list!!

---------- Post added 01-27-21 at 04:17 PM ----------

Yes, I think IBIS is about as good as it gets!!
Pixel shift is not unique to Pentax.
01-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish someone would build a lightning detection auto shutter feature as well.
I don't know if anyone has ever built this into a camera, but there are add on devices like the Pluto trigger that detect lightning.
01-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I don't know if anyone has ever built this into a camera, but there are add on devices like the Pluto trigger that detect lightning.
Not that I know of. The only thing close is the live composite in OMD’s.
01-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not that I know of. The only thing close is the live composite in OMD’s.
Search up the MIOPS Smart Camera Trigger.