Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2021, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Def a K1... or K1ii... wouldn't matter much either way.... I can't believe you have hung out so long. If one isn't happy with your 85, 43, 300 and 400 on a K1.... well....

01-29-2021, 10:45 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Back in October, I came to the point of making the same decision, and like yourself have a fairly good supply of very high quality FF lenses, especially in the shorter-to-medium FL range, many of which have been seeing little use with my fine APS-C bodies. I have really missed their use in their full FOV as I enjoyed on my 35mm film bodies. So I went for a K-1 II and I am glad for it. Unless you need the improved action shooting capabilities of the K-3 III, which apparently is a major design goal, or likewise its improved video, like my reasoning for my FF lenses, the K-1 II should prove to be a fine advancement for you. As to the forthcoming K-3 III's superior new VF being "almost" as good as a good FF VF, well my new K-1 II's VF is not "almost". it is great. Then you still have your fine K-3 for its APS-C advantage for longer FL work with lenses of lower weight/size/cost as well as the other fine APS-C lenses you have, or you can switch the K-1 II to crop mode to use them as an alternative. There are still some advantages to doing that- such as lower noise at higher ISO, better DR, and taking advantage of special features offered by the K-1 II, like its pull-out tilting screen for shooting from low or high positions, etc. which the K-3 III does not offer. The price of the new model will probably approach that of the K-1 II rather closely, making adding FF with the K-1 II even more attractive. All of the above reflects the reasoning I employed in my decision. I am very happy with my new K-1 II, for sure.
My FA lens is stock for long time not use much after I got APSC, as you can see my list they are very close in range and not same impact in FF film age i.e. FA20 2.8

Now I use most is
DA10-17 for creative environmental portrait (not use much maybe 3-4 photo per year)
DA14 for interior / some creative portrait
DA 35 2.4 for ultra light kit for casual portrait ... although it's a bit distort the face (not so flattering) for classic portrait but people who like selfie with iphone may like that
DA40 for interior / environmental portrait
DA70 for corporate headshot is very good
FA100 3.5 although not sure optical quality but good for food / table top etc.

The PF (maybe I am wrong to use PF to discribe that) what I mean is when using FA lens in a digital body it look like there is a fog or maybe like I have using a difusser filter over the lens. Most of the time I have to use the Dehaze filter in lightroom / acr for better result and this still don't bring me the same image details / edge with a digital lens... sigh.

I understand there are D FA line of lens but they are quite expensive if I go to buy them all with that money I may rebuild another system for more MP and more modern workflow i.e. Wifi / Cable tethering / Click then Zoom to focus point for review etc.

Sorry if my words affect your feeling...

In my last corporate assignment, the client from German require minimal 24mp for the job and although he just need to print a 1/4 page in a news letter... Maybe I should go for the K1ii but 36MP maybe not modern enough for the next job
01-30-2021, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mactrash Quote
The PF (maybe I am wrong to use PF to discribe that) what I mean is when using FA lens in a digital body it look like there is a fog or maybe like I have using a difusser filter over the lens. Most of the time I have to use the Dehaze filter in lightroom / acr for better result and this still don't bring me the same image details / edge with a digital lens... sigh.

I understand there are D FA line of lens but they are quite expensive if I go to buy them all with that money I may rebuild another system for more MP and more modern workflow i.e. Wifi / Cable tethering / Click then Zoom to focus point for review etc.

Sorry if my words affect your feeling...

In my last corporate assignment, the client from German require minimal 24mp for the job and although he just need to print a 1/4 page in a news letter... Maybe I should go for the K1ii but 36MP maybe not modern enough for the next job
First if you see a fog/diffuser effect - check the lenses - maybe there's fungus in those FA's? Good FA lenses should not look like that. My FA's are clear and bright and clean imaging. My older lenses are also. Where the PF term usually comes in is purple fringing and it refers to the tendency for extreme contrast to manifest purple color shifts around the boundry in the high contrast areas. It is localized and correctable but not without slight losses.

I think today specific MP requirements tend to be about 24 since that's the typical resolution of the common FF cameras like D750's and Sony A7, A7ii, etc. I don't think you'll get pushback on 36mp files.
01-30-2021, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My FA lenses, as well as my 3rd party FF lanes are also clear, and are so with film or with digital, and in either format. I have not seen a haze or fog-like problem with any of them. I value my APS-C camera bodies and lenses for the advantages they offer. Smaller, lighter carrying being most obvious. Especially in longer focal length use. For example, I would much rather take out my KP with my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 and not have need to purchase the much larger, heavier DFA 70-200mm f/2.8 to use on my K-1 II, being a far bulkier and heavier ensemble.

At the same time, with APS-C it is a difficult matter to satisfy a fast wide angle need. The FA 35mm f/2 does not provide any wide angle. But using that lens on a K-1 II does provide wide angle, and the FA 31mm f/1.8 Ltd is yet wider. So there is capability here that is not available with APS-C. I enjoy a number of FF lenses once again with my K-1 II, such as my FA 43mm f/1.9 Ltd which in its original FOV design, is a wide/normal, not as a short tele as it functions with APS-C. The very compact FA 28mm f/2.8 is also a very nice lens on a K-1 II, but again does not provide wide angle on APS-C where it becomes as a wide/normal, but not a fast one. Hopefully, your copies of these lenses are not compromised in any way.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-30-2021 at 01:25 PM.
01-30-2021, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
My FA lenses, as well as my 3rd party FF lanes are also clear, and are so with film or with digital, and in either format. I have not seen a haze or fog-like problem with any of them. I value my APS-C camera bodies and lenses for the advantages they offer. Smaller, lighter carrying being most obvious. Especially in longer focal length use. For example, I would much rather take out my KP with my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 and not have need to purchase the much larger, heavier DFA 70-200mm f/2.8 to use on my K-1 II, being a far bulkier and heavier ensemble.

At the same time, with APS-C it is a difficult matter to satisfy a fast wide angle need. The FA 35mm f/2 does not provide any wide angle. But using that lens on a K-1 II does provide wide angle, and the FA 31mm f/1.8 Ltd is yet wider. So there is capability here that is not available with APS-C.
My FA85 agrees with you.
01-30-2021, 01:31 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is worth noting that the FA 35mm f/2 for example, has been lab-tested on APS-C digital bodies as having exceptional edge-to-edge clarity, very good even at wide open aperture.
01-30-2021, 03:33 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks for all reply ... really thanks.

Let say now I nailed to go for the K1ii

My next question is

Tethering to OSX (I don't really need control the camera I just want to transfer the file quickly and preview in lightroom automatically ), I am now using old eyefi solution to transfer small jpeg for this purpose.

I know there are

1. IT2, Does it can select just transfer JPG only, and how long does it take to transfer a K1ii RAW?

2. Lightroom plugin is that it can select just JPG only? If not how long does it take to transfer a K1ii RAW?

3. FluCardPro-AutoImport-master is that work with K1ii wifi? and how long does it take to transfer a smaller JPG, and what size of the JPG should be set if I just want to preview or check focus in Lightroom? Will the program remember the last file and transfer the next file after restart or crash?

4. Or there are more solution you do feel good and using them in daily base?

Sorry if those information is already answered in other threads, I am now digging them and read slowly.

Last edited by mactrash; 01-30-2021 at 03:41 PM.
01-31-2021, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for all reply ... really thanks.

Let say now I nailed to go for the K1ii

My next question is

Tethering to OSX (I don't really need control the camera I just want to transfer the file quickly and preview in lightroom automatically ), I am now using old eyefi solution to transfer small jpeg for this purpose.

I know there are

1. IT2, Does it can select just transfer JPG only, and how long does it take to transfer a K1ii RAW?

2. Lightroom plugin is that it can select just JPG only? If not how long does it take to transfer a K1ii RAW?

3. FluCardPro-AutoImport-master is that work with K1ii wifi? and how long does it take to transfer a smaller JPG, and what size of the JPG should be set if I just want to preview or check focus in Lightroom? Will the program remember the last file and transfer the next file after restart or crash?

4. Or there are more solution you do feel good and using them in daily base?

Sorry if those information is already answered in other threads, I am now digging them and read slowly.
I have shot tethered only with my Z and only WinOS into LR with a cord, not wifi. Worked better than I was led to believe, and although I didn't think it was zippy speed wise, for my studio shooting it was not problem at all. The bigger problem was that I didn't have as much control of the camera as I would have liked. But it was fine overall. I expect the K1mkII would do better being newer, but maybe it would be the same. I was shooting DNG.

The whole speed thing is a user issue AFAIC, and has more to do with 1. what is being shot and how, and 2. the user's temperament and patience.
02-02-2021, 12:28 AM   #24

Original Poster
Thanks for all the reply... K1ii will be arrive my home tomorrow
02-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Uh-oh! You're in trouble now....
02-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm a little late to the thread, so my recommendation adds little to what's already been said. For the use cases you mention, the lenses you own and the choices you've given us, the K-1II makes better sense. Effectively, you get a 36MP full frame camera and 16MP crop camera in one body, so you can use all of your lenses as originally intended by switching between those formats. Or, you could sell off your DA Limiteds and raise enough to buy, say, the D FA*50/1.4...
I don't have personal experience with a K-1, but... I'm not convinced I'd be happy with the viewfinder situation in crop mode. I might be happier with a FF mirrorless in crop mode, since I'd still have the full-sized viewfinder image, I'm not sure. Maybe those with experience can comment. I'm just saying I'm not sure a FF with a mirror would be just a really big crop camera.
02-02-2021, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Get ready for some adventures.
02-05-2021, 01:38 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't have personal experience with a K-1, but... I'm not convinced I'd be happy with the viewfinder situation in crop mode. I might be happier with a FF mirrorless in crop mode, since I'd still have the full-sized viewfinder image, I'm not sure. Maybe those with experience can comment. I'm just saying I'm not sure a FF with a mirror would be just a really big crop camera.
My impression when I had the K-1 was that the optical image size of the crop area was similar to what I got on my crop k-3. I have a Sony A7rII and I have yet to shoot in crop mode. I may eventually but I can’t compare results for that reason. Even when I did have the K-1 I was mostly using ff or near ff glass and cropping only in post.
02-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My impression when I had the K-1 was that the optical image size of the crop area was similar to what I got on my crop k-3. I have a Sony A7rII and I have yet to shoot in crop mode. I may eventually but I can’t compare results for that reason. Even when I did have the K-1 I was mostly using ff or near ff glass and cropping only in post.
Since we shoot both a K-5 and a K-1 I'd say for close to 100% our images the images are indistinguishable. From our perspective, the need for more resolution is completely undefined for 16 MP or later.
02-05-2021, 04:37 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Since we shoot both a K-5 and a K-1 I'd say for close to 100% our images the images are indistinguishable. From our perspective, the need for more resolution is completely undefined for 16 MP or later.
The thing they asked that I (badly) responded to was about how it looked in the viewfinder masked in the k-1 vs a mirrorless that presumably would just zoom in. I recall the k-1 experience not being uncomfortable and I’ve never tried with the Sony. It seemed a non-issue on the k-1 for sure.