Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Custom WB: Expodisc vs Clear White?

I would like to know who's used one/both of these kinds of custom WB filters. Here are some links (I'm sure both companies will be happy I'm doing this!):

WHITE BALANCE FILTERS - CLEARWHITE - white balance tool for precision digital photography
http://www.expodisc.com/product-detail.php?cat_id=1&product_id=1&keywords=ExpoDisc_Portrait

It seems like the Clear White is only one filter that works great in nearly any lighting situation, and it's $50 US + shipping. The Expodisc, however, can be more expensive and you need to choose which one to buy (portrait or neutral). The Clear White got a great review in Outdoor Photography Canada and I've read good things about Expodisc as well, but now I'd like some opinions based upon actual usage, including the pros and cons.

11-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought my expodisk in 2004 or 2005, not 100% SURE.

I picked one up for a 77mm filter, to use on my 70-200 and 80-200 Nikon lenses.

I really like it for my outdoor shows. I do three custom settings, one for full sun, one for partial cloud and one for full cloud. As the light changes, so do i and change the settings.
Only takes a second to do that.

I'v tried it on some of the indoor horse arenas with diffused light, but i find it hard to get something even, as the light changes from one area to the other.

Not sure obout this portrait or neutral, i was only offered one filter. I guess thats all they made 4-5 years ago.

Dave
11-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #3

The are expensive Expodiscs and less expensive Expocaps. The 77mm Expocap has a street price around $60.

Other options, Color Right, Lally Cap, SpectraSnap, CBL, and the ever popular coffee filter.
11-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
The are expensive Expodiscs and less expensive Expocaps. The 77mm Expocap has a street price around $60.
Have you used an ExpoCap? I have an ExpoDisc from when they were first released and the ED says its hand calibrated and has 18% light transmission, the EC doesn't mention either of those things, how is its use different?

Other options, Color Right, Lally Cap, SpectraSnap, CBL, and the ever popular coffee filter.
Any experience with any of these others?

11-18-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here's something cheap-n-easy you could give a try: Coffee Filter White Balance Solution.
11-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I have been using the coffee filter thing since I went digital, works well and lets me adjust white balance per light temp without a problem. CHEAP and I can always stuff a few in the pocket of the camera bag. I do own a grey card.
12-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I'm replying to my own thread now that I've finally received my Clear White WB filter and had a few days to use it. (It was shipped to relatives with a U.S. PO box so I could avoid extra charges ...)

Anyhow, here's my verdict:
  • Extremely simple to use for setting custom WB on the K20D, but probably not as easy as with the Expodisc (see below).
  • Absolutely perfect WB results in practically any lighting situation, although the Expodisc is probably just as effective.
  • Can use on ANY lens filter diameters from 25mm to 95mm, whereas the Expodisc comes in fixed filter sizes.
  • MUCH cheaper (in price) than any Expodisc.

About the only reasons why a person might want to pay (a lot) more for an Expodisc:
  • Less cumbersome. If you don't want to hold a Clear White with one hand while holding your camera with the other. To my knowledge, the Expodisc threads on to a lens, allowing you two-handed support of your camera (unless it's on a tripod).
  • Smaller size. The Clear White measures 4" square but is super-thin, whereas the Expodisc is round and smaller in diameter and therefore perhaps easier to tuck away in a camera bag.
  • Better protection. The Expodisc could probably get away without being stored in a sleeve or case, but the Clear White definitely needs some sort of protection, which means a bit more fumbling around to take it out of its sleeve, case, etc.

For the much cheaper price and excellent results, I say the Clear White WB filter all the way. And even though I mostly shoot RAW and could tweak WB during post-processing, now I don't have to since the WB is perfect to begin with. This means I only have to now tweak a very small percentage of my images.
12-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
For the much cheaper price and excellent results, I say the Clear White WB filter all the way. And even though I mostly shoot RAW and could tweak WB during post-processing, now I don't have to since the WB is perfect to begin with. This means I only have to now tweak a very small percentage of my images.
Could you take a look at section 2 of the instruction manual for other uses of the Expodisc, specifically 2a and 2d.

2. Advanced Users
2.a. Checking for Dust on the Digital Imaging Sensor
2.b. Applying an ExpoDisc Custom White Balance Post-Capture
2.b.1. Creating A Gray Frame Reference
2.b.2. JPEG Post Process White Balance Correction
2.b.3. Camera RAW Post Process White Balance Correction
2.c. Using a Custom White Balance to Create Warming and Cooling Effects
2.d. Metering for Exposure with the ExpoDisc
2.d.1. Front-lit subjects
2.d.2. Side-lit subjects
2.d.3. Back-lit subjects
Are these possible with the Clear White WB filter?

12-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I haven't tried one, but ebay has some inexpensive white balance lens caps. For example see White Balance Lens Cap 67mm with WB Filter Mount #m - eBay (item 110330326683 end time Jan-01-09 18:41:00 PST)
01-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Could you take a look at section 2 of the instruction manual for other uses of the Expodisc, specifically 2a and 2d.

Are these possible with the Clear White WB filter?
After having read this section, the Clear White can be used for these applications in exactly the same manner as the Expodisc. By the way, thanks for the reference to the Expodisc manual, because now I can get even more out of my Clear White!