Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2021, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax 40mm XS... shutter blades issue

Hi guys,

Is been a while since I've been around here. I am back because I am extremely puzzled as to what happened recently and I wanted to know if anyone had similar issues or knows anything about it...

I had my 40mm XS since I got my K-01 a while back (still have the K-01 and works just fine), but something happened with the lens... after sitting on a shelf for a month or so, when I picked up the camera to go out for some pictures, I noticed that all the aperture blades inside the lens are loose and moving about as they wish to... as in the things exploded inside the lens and now they are everywhere in all kind of directions...

What in the world happened!? Anyone has any ideas?
Thanks!

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-31-2021 at 03:18 PM.
01-31-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Vibration can cause screws to vibrate loose, sounds like the diaphragm cover popped off, blades jumped out.

Hang up and DRIVE!
01-31-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, don't understand your reply Mike...

Like I mentioned, the camera and lens been on the quite sturdy shelf for more than a month, no vibration would get there.
01-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Those are not shutter blades, but aperture blades, if I understand correctly. You say they are moving freely inside the lens? Do you still have the aperture lever on the back of the lens? Can you still push it? Will it returns to the initial position when released? Does it move the aperture blade inside the lens?

Anyway it's the first time I hear of loose aperture blades after one month of sleeping on a shelf... That looks like extremely bad luck.

01-31-2021, 03:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, you are correct, they are aperture blades... not sure why I said shutter... thanks for the catch.

They are not connected to anything, the lever on the back is not moving them any longer. It seems like they magically disconnected them self :/. As a matter of fact while I am moving the lens, the blades just dangle around inside.
01-31-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Yes, you are correct, they are aperture blades... not sure why I said shutter... thanks for the catch.

They are not connected to anything, the lever on the back is not moving them any longer. It seems like they magically disconnected them self :/. As a matter of fact while I am moving the lens, the blades just dangle around inside.
Ouch. As that is an inexpensive lens you can try a diy repair or replace it.
01-31-2021, 04:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Sorry, don't understand your reply Mike...

Like I mentioned, the camera and lens been on the quite sturdy shelf for more than a month, no vibration would get there.

I was a lens bench technician and worked on many lenses. They do not “magically “ fall apart, but rather at some point sustained extreme vibration, usually ultrasonic type( flying?) causing the set screws that hold the diaphragm cover plate to shift and then the blades(controlled by pins on both sides to pivot) pins jump out of the slots and end up jumbled as yours is.

Usually as long as nothing has been forced or bent, reassembly is straightforward.

Hang up and DRIVE!

01-31-2021, 06:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ouch. As that is an inexpensive lens you can try a diy repair or replace it.

I'll probably open it up and at least see what might of happened... but I wanted to see first if this is something that might of happened to at least another person... or maybe if there is some common issues with this lens that I am not aware of. Not worth to waste the money on fixing something that decides to break itself apart just sitting .

As to get another one, I have doubts in trusting another copy... I have the 40mm limited so I will be using that more often I guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
I was a lens bench technician and worked on many lenses. They do not “magically “ fall apart, but rather at some point sustained extreme vibration, usually ultrasonic type( flying?) causing the set screws that hold the diaphragm cover plate to shift and then the blades(controlled by pins on both sides to pivot) pins jump out of the slots and end up jumbled as yours is.

Usually as long as nothing has been forced or bent, reassembly is straightforward.

Hang up and DRIVE!
Again... the lens were sitting on a shelf and last time I used them were working just fine. And they never got to fly anywhere or be in contact with anything. Literally, the lens did not move from the same spot I personally "gingerly placed" them there.

I appreciate the time you took to answer, but your explanation just doesn't fit or makes sense in my case. If "vibration" would of been an issue, at least one or two more out of the 15 lenses I have on that shelf will end up with similar issues.
01-31-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll probably open it up and at least see what might of happened... but I wanted to see first if this is something that might of happened to at least another person... or maybe if there is some common issues with this lens that I am not aware of. Not worth to waste the money on fixing something that decides to break itself apart just sitting .

Again... the lens were sitting on a shelf and last time I used them were working just fine. And they never got to fly anywhere or be in contact with anything. Literally, the lens did not move from the same spot I personally "gingerly placed" them there.

I appreciate the time you took to answer, but your explanation just doesn't fit or makes sense in my case. If "vibration" would of been an issue, at least one or two more out of the 15 lenses I have on that shelf will end up with similar issues.
I would wonder if the lens was poorly assembled and finally just fell apart. Back in the 50’s my grandfather drove a new car off the lot only to have the steering wheel fall off in his hands 3 blocks from the dealer. Those are splined on and then secured with a large bolt. The bolt was missing but even that isn’t typically enough to allow it to come off. The spline was not tight and had to be replaced.

Failures in manufacturing do occur.
01-31-2021, 06:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would wonder if the lens was poorly assembled and finally just fell apart. Back in the 50’s my grandfather drove a new car off the lot only to have the steering wheel fall off in his hands 3 blocks from the dealer. Those are splined on and then secured with a large bolt. The bolt was missing but even that isn’t typically enough to allow it to come off. The spline was not tight and had to be replaced.

Failures in manufacturing do occur.
Ouch... I hope that little "wtf moment" ended with just a scare and nothing serios

True, no disagreement there, things happen as they say... if I'm just the unlucky one with getting a poorly assembled copy, I can accept that.

Is just that to me was really, really puzzling... still is since I can't think of any time in their life when they even took a tumble. I am very careful with my gear.

"Anywho", I will chuck it in the mystery bin I guess.
In the end I can always use it "wide opened" ... and call it the bokeh lens.
01-31-2021, 06:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

As to get another one, I have doubts in trusting another copy... I have the 40mm limited so I will be using that more often I guess.

Without a post mortem exam, the why is clueless. Even then I could tell you what occurred, but as Uncle said, it sometimes happens.

Vibration issues happen after time, when set screws, or rings just loosen and move, without warning or explanation. Heat and cold extremes might add to issues , but that is doubtful .

Sorry to confuse you, but sometimes the reason is ...............................!

The diaphragm control rings are tensioned and if a cover lifts up, the blades can jump, so yes grabbing it off the shelf, might have jostled the ring ?

Now take it apart, reset it and shoot with it, as long as the blades are flat, should be easily reassembled.
Hang up and DRIVE!
01-31-2021, 09:21 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ouch... I hope that little "wtf moment" ended with just a scare and nothing serios
Yes. He had a temper. And he walked back to the dealer with my dad in tow. He walked back to the office and tossed the steering wheel onto an unscratched (until then) wooden executive desk. He told them to pick up up where he had left it. His language was colorful.
02-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
The diaphragm control rings are tensioned and if a cover lifts up, the blades can jump, so yes grabbing it off the shelf, might have jostled the ring ?Now take it apart, reset it and shoot with it, as long as the blades are flat, should be easily reassembled.Hang up and DRIVE!
I know that, but these things usually are well assembled, they don't just come apart because you pick it up... if is a "normal" thing, then I strongly suggest anyone to not buy this thing.

Anyway, since no one else has replied I assumed is not a normal thing for these lens, and I ended up with a bad copy that just failed... it was too depressed and lonely on that shelf and it came apart... literally .
Won't bother to fix it since most probably the cost for fixing it is higher than a new copy... and at this point I lost my trust in them and I'd rather get something else anyway.

Yes. He had a temper. And he walked back to the dealer with my dad in tow. He walked back to the office and tossed the steering wheel onto an unscratched (until then) wooden executive desk. He told them to pick up up where he had left it. His language was colorful.
Sounds like a man to my heart... I would of had a similar reaction.

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-01-2021 at 10:29 AM.
02-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Won't bother to fix it since most probably the cost for fixing it is higher than a new copy...
There is no point indeed to bring it to a repair facility... But you can always try to fix it yourself. You can try to umount the rear screw and see if you can set the blade where they should be! Lens's dead, so there is no risk trying.

Warning, use only JIS screwdriver.
02-01-2021, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
There is no point indeed to bring it to a repair facility... But you can always try to fix it yourself. You can try to umount the rear screw and see if you can set the blade where they should be! Lens's dead, so there is no risk trying.

Warning, use only JIS screwdriver.

Agree!

Side note, if you’re in the states, pm me, I’ll be happy to play and return if you want.

Hang up and DRIVE!