Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I was thinking of upgrading to a k-70 from my current k-r.
But giving it more thought, I wonder if what benefit it would bring me, considering all my pictures are shared online these days.
Other than cropping, is there much advantage to getting a 24mp camera to replace my old 12mp camera?
I had a K-r and it provided very pleasing images and worked very well with adapted m42 Takumar lenses. It is a well made and durable camera, not susceptible to the dreaded aperture block failure of later lower to mid level Pentax bodies like the K-30, K-50, Ks-1, Ks-2 and even on a less frequent basis, the K-70.

If you want a second body or are looking for better high ISO performance, better AF, better metering and a faster processor, a used K-3 would be my my pick. They have a durable 200,000 actuations shutter, no aperture block issues and can be found at attractive prices on the used market, from $375 to $595. I own a K-3 and KP now, if I were buying NEW I’d go for another KP but that is just me. I really like both cameras.

02-05-2021, 02:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess I'm not a serious enough amateur photographer, as I just can't get into post processing raw files. I take the jpg's straight from the camera and usually just tweak the levels in Gimp. Then upoad to my flickr account. I'm sure if I did this for a living, I'd get into it.
That's actually a pretty efficient system.
I"m not sure at this point how much I gain from post processing.
02-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #18
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's actually a pretty efficient system.
I"m not sure at this point how much I gain from post processing.
I've found, that the majority of the time, a simple "auto levels" in Gimp makes my pics look extraordinarily better. When that doesn't work, I adjust the levels myself (by tightening up the left and right side where there is no data, and moving the middle slider). To be honest, levels is all I use, other than when a challenge requires a limited resolution or file size.
02-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I'm not a serious enough amateur photographer, as I just can't get into post processing raw files. I take the jpg's straight from the camera and usually just tweak the levels in Gimp. Then upoad to my flickr account. I'm sure if I did this for a living, I'd get into it.
I am rather like you in this regard. I shoot RAW images only if I want to fool around more with post work, although I am usually able to tweak JPEGs enough if needed. I have owned the K-r as my lightweight model alternative to my K-5 IIs, a nice little camera as far as that goes, but I gave it to friends when I replaced it with the K-S2, still have my K-5 IIs, but now my main body is the KP. The KP's processor does a really exceptional job for JPEG images right out of the camera. Just be sure to go into the Custom Image menus to set up "Fine Sharpening" and if you find any difficulty getting that done, we would be glad to help.

The KP is designed very much as a pint-sized K-1 II, and currently represents the most advanced featured Pentax, and with image quality very close to the K-1 II. The prices now to be had for a camera of this caliber are really quite amazing, actually.

The KP comes in all black or silver/black, durable magnesium alloy metal pro-caliber WR (with a WR lens) construction, with numerous features for adjusting operational and imaging parameters. Is not prone to the aperture block problem as is the K-70. Includes the advanced pixel shift feature, which might well be an enhancement for what you do.

You might also appreciate the pull-out rear screen with live view for doing macro shots from a low position, or in places where the usual VF shot would be difficult or awkward. It can even be a better solution than the swing-out type found with the K-70, because it takes up less room and stays in line with the camera body.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-06-2021 at 02:45 PM.
02-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #20

I was thinking of upgrading to a k-70 from my current k-r.
But giving it more thought, I wonder if what benefit it would bring me, considering all my pictures are shared online these days.
Other than cropping, is there much advantage to getting a 24mp camera to replace my old 12mp camera?
It has little to do with the camera. Good tools are always good tools but every photograph, to some degree, is an idea, a capture, an edit and a presentation.

So if you make a photograph and think, "that's it", I guess the model of camera and lens might make some differences but...

What did you choose to include and exclude in the photograph? What was it about, even if you weren't thinking about that?

Why did you press the shutter when you did? Did you move to make the photograph that you saw ?

I bet you'll find It's about finding your own voice and how you interpret your world. And the stories you want to tell.

If you know how to cook, the stove isn't a problem.
02-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course, the above general statements regarding principles of photography always apply.

---------- Post added 02-06-21 at 02:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Benedict Michael Quote
If you've been cooking long enough and find a new stove that will be much better for regulating temperature and giving feedback of it, you may be able to improve the perfection of the dish you are making.

---------- Post added 02-06-21 at 02:15 PM ----------

What did you choose to include and exclude in the photograph?
Precision in this can be significant, and a brighter, 100% VF can be very useful.

---------- Post added 02-06-21 at 02:25 PM ----------

Did you move to make the photograph that you saw ?
Sometimes I must, depending on what I am dealing with, and the superior controls of my K-5 IIs, my primary model at the time, are much faster-operating and more accessible as well as more on-body instead of in-menus compared to my then secondary K-r. A much more effective tool.

The K-r is pretty good for delivering good results when needing a higher ISO setting, preserving image detail with lower noise compared to other models of that time, but my K-5 IIs came out better, and in many other ways as well. Now my KP is even far more capable for higher ISO results. Again, offering advantageous performance and features.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-06-2021 at 02:42 PM.
02-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #22
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a look at the OP's photostream on Flickr: Michael Piziak | Flickr. He knows how to cook.

I was thinking of upgrading to a k-70 from my current k-r.But giving it more thought, I wonder if what benefit it would bring me, considering all my pictures are shared online these days.Other than cropping, is there much advantage to getting a 24mp camera to replace my old 12mp camera?
As Norm said, for tripod shots (and I see a lot of macro) a flippy or tilting screen for LiveView focusing would make things easier. But you have got by very well without it.

The only area where I would say your gear is holding you back is telephoto. You would get better results with a more recent sensor and a better lens, like the DA*300 or even the DA 55-300 PLM. Plus the much improved AF and metering.

Last edited by Des; 02-06-2021 at 03:39 PM.
02-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I would consider upgrading the body, and I'm still mostly using K-5 bodies, so I'm not one to always have the latest of everything. With a K-70 or other more modern camera, you would have improved dynamic range, less noise, and also a better viewfinder, and AF tuning (although I've since become disenchanted with AF tuning that only allows tuning at one point of a zoom range.) Just because you might not appreciate those things right now, you might change your mind later, and it would be nice to have the additional digital information in your image files if you decided to make more use of it in the future (maybe physical enlargements for example.) Of course there is a practical limit everyone has, otherwise everybody would have the very latest full-frame or medium format body.
02-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #24
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I had a look at the OP's photostream on Flickr: Michael Piziak | Flickr. He knows how to cook.

As Norm said, for tripod shots (and I see a lot of macro) a flippy or tilting screen for LiveView focusing would make things easier. But you have got by very well without it.

The only area where I would say your gear is holding you back is telephoto. You would get better results with a more recent sensor and a better lens, like the DA*300 or even the DA 55-300 PLM. Plus the much improved AF and metering.
Thank you very much Des for the compliment and suggestions.

For the past couple of days, I've been considering getting a k-70, due to it's price, but I have a few concerns

1) Is Pentax about to come out with new cameras, and I should wait and see what happens?
2) I wonder if Pentax has fixed the problems with the k-70 (I read of a class action lawsuit over it)
02-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . For the past couple of days, I've been considering getting a k-70, due to it's price, but I have a few concerns

1) Is Pentax about to come out with new cameras, and I should wait and see what happens? . . .
it is rumored that the K 3 III is to be released this month:
QuoteQuote:
Description:
The K-3 Mark III is a compact DSLR with a 26 MP APS-C size sensor. It was announced in 2020 and will become available in February of 2021 replacing the previous APS-C flagship model, the K-3 II. The physical interface of the new camera body is in several areas a complete redesign of its predecessor:. . .
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-3-iii.html#ixzz6maS1D9pi

Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
2) I wonder if Pentax has fixed the problems with the k-70 (I read of a class action lawsuit over it)
I don't know how wide spread the problem with the K 70 is, I believe it is not as wide spread as with the K 30 or K 50

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-15-2021 at 04:49 PM.
02-15-2021, 05:40 PM   #26
Closed Account

Original Poster
Yea, the K 3 III is all the news. I'm just curious if the k-70 is to be replaced, and will drive it's price down - or how long it takes for prices to shift.

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 02-15-2021 at 06:13 PM.
02-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For the past couple of days, I've been considering getting a k-70, due to it's price, but I have a few concerns1) Is Pentax about to come out with new cameras, and I should wait and see what happens?2) I wonder if Pentax has fixed the problems with the k-70 (I read of a class action lawsuit over it)
Other members will have followed this more closely than I have, but as I understand it there have been relatively few instances of aperture block failure with the K-70, compared to earlier models such as the K-50. Still, for me it would be one of several good reasons to pay the relatively modest premium for the KP. The KP uses a completely different aperture control mechanism has a rated shutter life of 100,000 actuations and is constructed on a solid metal chassis. The KP also has a number of worthwhile extra features, such as a better processor, better AE metering, more AF points, better dust control and quiet shutter, to mention a few.

The only forthcoming model which has been announced is the K-3iii, which will be a lot more expensive. There are reports that no more KP cameras have been manufactured for some time, which has led to speculation about a possible replacement, but there is no firm information about that. AFAIK, there is not even a rumour about a replacement for the K-70.

Last edited by Des; 02-15-2021 at 09:04 PM.
02-15-2021, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #28
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks all for your suggestions and the many cameras you recommended.
I pulled the trigger on the k-70, as the price was right for my budget for a new camera.
Made sure I clicked through this site to get it.

Regards,

Michael

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 02-15-2021 at 09:03 PM.
02-15-2021, 09:54 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Yea, the K 3 III is all the news. I'm just curious if the k-70 is to be replaced, and will drive it's price down - or how long it takes for prices to shift.
This forum is a great resource for lots of information, but that doesn't include Ricoh's marketing plans. So any replies along those lines would be guesses no better than yours.
02-19-2021, 05:51 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the K 3 III has been delayed so that option is off the table

K3III Delayed... indefinitely - Page 18 - PentaxForums.com