Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP price

Do you think the kp price will go lower than $697 anytime soon?

02-07-2021, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you look at the price history you will see this is the lowest it's been. I guess it's possible the release of the K3iii at the end of the month may have a minor effect, but I would guess any significant savings would only happen in one of the big sale periods. You will know better than I when they occur in the US.
02-07-2021, 03:16 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I rather doubt it. Original introductory price of $1,100 was about par for this level of camera. I thought when the price dropped to around $800 that was pretty darn good. $700 for a new camera of this class is quite amazing. APS-C flagship models have generally appeared initially at around $1,200-$1,600 even some years ago when the $$ were worth more. Word has it, the soon to come new Pentax APS-C flagship will come in at around $1,600 or even more.

Just short of a flagship design (not short in build quality), in being compact the KP had to omit a top LCD, and had to omit a couple of dedicated on-body controls, but instead having buttons which are dual-purpose assignable. Its very effective new controls design rather makes up for these compromises. It is uniquely designed to appeal as a compact, very portable field camera alternative to pros and advanced photographers, many of whom also own the FF K-1 II body, and also designed to appeal to potential buyers who want the compactness of a high-level APS-C mirrorless design, but find having an optical viewfinder (OVF) very attractive. In addition to its fine imaging quality, it also has a wider range of features and capabilities, including those superior controls, not generally found on high-level APS-C mirrorless models. Not a plastic amateur-oriented entry-level model (note- no "Scene" modes), there are the the rest of us who instead want a compact, high-grade durable body with very good all-around accommodating features, like the built-in flash and pull-out rear screen, and advanced features in a pro-level build. Despite its compactness, this is a very advanced, capable camera. The fact that it can be expanded to a more meaty handful or contracted to a svelte powerhouse, has its own unique and useful appeal.

---------- Post added 02-07-21 at 03:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If you look at the price history you will see this is the lowest it's been. I guess it's possible the release of the K3iii at the end of the month may have a minor effect, but I would guess any significant savings would only happen in one of the big sale periods. You will know better than I when they occur in the US.
This is correct, the K-3 III, which has been delayed in arriving largely due to the pandemic, is supposed to finally arrive this soon. I certainly hope Pentax will continue on with the KP. Without it, there would only be the plastic K-70 type and the K-3 III APS-C flagship, which would leave a huge hole in between, in price, quality, and in the unique style and offerings of the KP. The K-3 III will bring new technical advancements, but will also lack some of the features the KP offers that many find useful, and it will weigh a full quarter pound heavier- quite noticeable in a camera body.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-07-2021 at 03:35 PM.
02-07-2021, 04:29 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't hold my breath for another significant price decrease. While it's certainly possible we might randomly get one, I'd expect the KP to be nearing the end of its product cycle, and it could just as well stop being available.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-07-2021, 07:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Just short of a flagship design, in being compact the KP had to omit a top LCD
Compact? The K5 flagship, which does have a decent top LCD, was smaller than the KP in every linear dimension.
02-07-2021, 09:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Compact? The K5 flagship, which does have a decent top LCD, was smaller than the KP in every linear dimension.
I have both, the KP has a lot smaller volume. The K-7/K-5 were ingeniously compact flagship cameras. Just the pointy prism of the KP sticks out a bit, both vertically and to the front, the "shoulder" is however lower and the body slimmer. Width is identical within measurement error . The KP packs smaller - I can fit more into my small kayak box beside the KP than the K-5.
02-07-2021, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The situation in Japan at the moment is that Ricoh has told retailers the KP is out of production and they can't order any more. Over a third of the online retailers that stocked the KP have sold out now. At its cheapest the KP got down to about the same price you see now in the US, but it has started going up now, presumably because of limited availability.

It's just my opinion, but I think it's risky to hold out too long for a discount. The K-3 III is going to come out soon, and it is likely that it will cost at least double the KP at first. Whether a KP2 comes out is purely hypothetical at the moment. I guess something will come out to replace it, but when is anyone's guess.

As for the compactness of the KP, I have a K-5 IIs and despite the fact that the KP is bigger in every dimension on paper, when I pick one up it always feels significantly smaller. It's like the difference between a tall, broad-shouldered skinny guy (KP) and a slightly shorter rugby player (K-5).
02-07-2021, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The KP currently selling so well as the arrival of the K-3 III approaches should tell Ricoh something! And the K-70 seems not to be in that mix. The KP and K-3 III cameras are as much different as they are alike, each having a different appeal, and the K-70 is different yet, and not in the class level of either.

02-08-2021, 02:14 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was curious what the size comparison was myself, so I went to look. Interesting. Although some pieces of the KP make the dimensions nominally larger, the "main body" seems to be smaller in comparison. I used the K-5iis, because that's one that's in my hand often, so familiar to me.

The K-3ii dimensions are larger than the K-5iis, per this site: Compare camera dimensions side by side
Attached Images

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 02-08-2021 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Add mention of K-3ii
02-08-2021, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #10

I have both the K3 and KP. Prior to purchasing the KP I also questioned how much smaller it would be.

The measurements are taken at the thickest points. so thing like the flange distance which is a constant between the 2 drive a similar thickness but the fold out lcd adds additional thickness to the kp measurements. The flash/prism also sits higher while the rest of the body is shorter. But in your hands the kp feel smaller than the measurements should imply
02-08-2021, 08:48 AM - 2 Likes   #11

Doesn't settle anything but I did a quick and dirty overlay of the K-5ii on the KP photos. K-5ii with red balance in photos.

I'd say the grip makes the K-5ii much bulkier.

02-08-2021, 08:55 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I have both, the KP has a lot smaller volume. The K-7/K-5 were ingeniously compact flagship cameras. Just the pointy prism of the KP sticks out a bit, both vertically and to the front, the "shoulder" is however lower and the body slimmer. Width is identical within measurement error . The KP packs smaller - I can fit more into my small kayak box beside the KP than the K-5.
They're both Pentax cameras so you could slap on a WR lens and dunk both of them into a basin of water to measure the volume they displace.
02-08-2021, 09:23 AM - 4 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, you all twisted my arm. I ordered the KP. Now to save up some lens $
02-08-2021, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

Good choice ! You will find the KP a very significant upgrade to the Kr, in image quality, features and build quality. Once you get used to it I'm sure you will enjoy the KP.
02-08-2021, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mom2mny Quote
Well, you all twisted my arm. I ordered the KP. Now to save up some lens $
Wonderful- you will be making a huge jump in class and in function! Don't forget what I said about avoiding setting the mode dial to Auto as that will cancel most functions, using "P" instead for fully automated exposure, and then to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus.

You might even consider keeping your little K-r for backup or for casual snapshot use. OTOH, it could bring in some $$ to get a better all-around lens, like the DA18-135mm DC WR to go with your DA 55-300mm PLM tele zoom. And eventually maybe the little DA 50mm f/1.8 also- a very good portrait lens with its extra-large aperture, and reasonable price.