Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2021, 03:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by G&R Quote
Am I the only person to notice that at some point Pentax removed the manual IBIS focal length? Setting the manual focal length is a feature in the GX10 menus that I assume is on the K10D also (I have a K10D just out of arms reach and cannot be bothered to check). It is a useful feature when shooting with vintage lenses. Newer Pentax designs fail to accommodate the reality vintage lenses can have more than one focal length, such that K3 batteries need to be taken out to reset the IBIS manual focal length - seriously, why?!
I'm asked for FL every time I turn on the camera (K-5, K-1, KP) and there is a menu entry to change it - for zoom lens support, I suppose. Check your manual.

02-09-2021, 03:15 AM   #17
G&R

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I'm asked for FL every time I turn on the camera (K-5, K-1, KP) and there is a menu entry to change it - for zoom lens support, I suppose. Check your manual.
Oomph .. I am looking at a K3-II and cannot find that menu entry setting.
02-09-2021, 03:18 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-1II may be the only camera I'll ever need.
I thought the K5 was lovely, until I got the K-1.
02-09-2021, 03:24 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oomph .. I am looking at a K3-II and cannot find that menu entry setting.
Check you manual: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3-2.pdf, page 90

02-09-2021, 03:26 AM   #20
G&R

Checked the K3-II manual and it states on page 93 that to enter a focal length, first turn the camera off and then on (e.g. not a menu item), so maybe its just some models that are impacted. The manual also states to set aperture to manual in C4 menu to enable the start-up prompt, but that seems incorrect as the C4 list does not include that particular entry and the body is prompting on start-up as though the manual aperture is been enabled by default.
02-09-2021, 03:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I started with the *istD after the price came down, but then got a K100D Super because I enjoyed having SR. Yet I still shot film for best results overall, better DR and a more natural look. That really changed upon getting my K20D and K200D combo, new at half price after the K-7 arrived. Overall image quality was better and easier to control. Eventually I got the K-5 then K-5 IIs also at half price after the K-3 arrived. Superior image quality and more accurate, but the improved DR and quality level for higher ISO were real advancements. I too noticed the crisp quality of the K-5 IIs lacking the AA filter and better AF too. I still use it fairly often, even though now having the KP for a couple of years. It was with the K-5 IIs I felt what I had, and was getting from it, was indeed good enough.

But the KP has been amazing, even better than good enough. I have also lately been enjoying my new K-1 II for use with some of my top-notch glass formerly ideal on my film bodies.
02-09-2021, 03:36 AM   #22
G&R

Awe.. it is there. There is a short memo at the bottom of the page pointing to where the setting is. I stand corrected. It is a fair amount of a finger juggling though

02-09-2021, 03:37 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Checked the K3-II manual and it states on page 93 that to enter a focal length, first turn the camera off and then on (e.g. not a menu item), so maybe its just some models that are impacted.
Why don't you first try what happens on your camera if you change the aperture ring setting in the C4 menu (not setting #4, but the 4th=last C-menu) before questioning the manual? Btw., page 90 referred to the linked English manual, and it also mentions where in the menu to find the FL setting.
02-09-2021, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Entering it when turning the camera on is fairly natural, and newer cameras keep a list of recent entries, making it quick.
02-09-2021, 03:43 AM   #25
G&R

Why don't you first try what happens on your camera if you change the aperture ring setting in the C4 menu
The problem is I did do that, and each time I did it the menus appeared to be different!
02-09-2021, 03:46 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

My second hand Pentax Kx became good enough once I opened the raw files on Lightroom or Camera Raw and learned to edit them. Before that, the jpg files I got from it were pretty underwhelming,
02-09-2021, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #27
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-5 was my first DSLR, and it's good enough for my needs. That doesn't mean that I don't prefer the K-1 (or K-3), but the K-5 is definitely good enough. My most used camera is a GR, also with 16MP, and, yeah, it's good enough.

Would a K10D be good enough? I would say so, it's just less forgiving with exposure errors and give a bit less room for cropping --> you have to be good enough, too

I could be satisfied with a K-5 as my only camera. Some of my fondest photographic memories were recorded with the K-5.
02-09-2021, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #28
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5 IIs

it's the fourth DSLR body in the line up of purchased DSLR bodies; I bought one after owning two K-3 bodies for awhile....

I bought my first K-5 IIs to be my M42-only body - I installed the OEM M42 adapter on the body almost immediately upon receipt and kept the adapter on for over 32k shots before I sold the body, thinking I was done with it....

huge mistake...

after selling one of my K-3 rigs, I realized how much I missed the handling of the K-5 body, the snick of its shutter, the magic of the sensor, etc.... so tracked down and bought a NIB K-5 IIs from the Great White North....

this one you can pry from my cold, dead hands when I'm done with it....

when people talk about looking over the fence at the K-1, that's not for me - I like the APS-C sensor format....

when I look over the fence, I see the things that Pentax isn't doing, the greener pastures....
02-09-2021, 05:01 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, it was the *istD. I shot film, starting with a KX and Ricoh XR2s, and then the PZ1.

I shot anything from 64ISO Kodachrome, though 400ISO E6 transparencies pushed to 1600ISO, and color print films from 100-800 ISO as well as B&W (normally Kodak Tri-x 400 ISO with both standard processing and pushed to 1600 and 3200 ISO

The *istD performance at 1600 iso blew away any film at the same iso, and was noiseless up to 400 iso for outdoor shooting.

The high iso performance of the 10mp Sony chip used in the K10 was a disappointment, but SR made that body worth while.

I have never really looked back, compared to film
02-09-2021, 06:23 AM   #30
Imp
Pentaxian

I've only had two, and fairly recent ones at those: the K-30 and the K-3. The K-30 was lacking a bit for me in terms of performance, but I could be set for life with the K-3! All other camera announcements, Pentax or otherwise, make a good read but don't trigger any GAS. (Unless it's cameras for filmmaking, we know Pentax doesn't do that HA )

Last edited by Imp; 02-09-2021 at 06:36 AM.