Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2021, 09:15 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At What Point Did Your Pentax Digital Camera Become "Good Enough"?

I've owned various Pentax digital cameras. I currently own a K-1, but I don't use it as often as I use my lesser Pentax cameras. Why? Because my older Pentax cameras are plenty good enough for most of my photography needs.

My Pentax K10D has almost everything that I need in a camera (IBIS, a great sensor, good battery, weather resistance, etc.). In reality, the only major feature that my K-1 has that I wish my K10D could do is pixel shift - but I don't need pixel shift that often.

I own 3 K10D's . Collectively they cost me about 20% of what I paid for the K-1. I'm so happy with my K10D's that I may not ever buy another Pentax camera. I'd be plenty happy shooting only K10D's for the next 10 years.

What Pentax camera do you own that is "good enough" for most of your photography needs? Could you see yourself being satisfied with that being your only Pentax camera for the foreseeable future?

02-08-2021, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have many cameras but I always go back to the K100D Super. Yup! 6MP! Easy to handle files, good enough for publication, printing and of course online. Shutter count is over 32,000
But if I have to keep only one it would probably be the K5-II.

Thanks,
02-08-2021, 10:46 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

The K5 was good enough ... until I saw the results from the K3 without AA filter. The K3 was good enough ... until I fell off my chair viewing the first image from the K1 + DFA* 50 f/1.4.

As someone who buys cars new and uses them till they rust away 19 years later, "good enough" is good enough for me in many things. But sometimes, if you look over the fence, one's comfortable impassivity is shaken.
02-08-2021, 11:29 PM   #4

My first K10d is broken a few months ago small area of the CCD coating have some area peel off and eye cup plastics crack due to age... Etc.

So I use most my 2nd K10d now 😂👹

For this social media age 10MP is more than enough...

Got the K1ii last week and it just for me to enjoy my wide lens... No work related so far.

02-09-2021, 12:07 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I still have my K5 which I bought after my Kx and while I have a KP and a K1 I don't have any misgivings if I'm using it. It's my beach holiday camera and usually lives in my office. It's not only good enough but it established that sweet spot of megapixels to low light performance balance where there's only been incremental rather than dramatic improvement since. I can't believe it's over ten years old. It helps explain why DSLR sales have fallen off a cliff.
02-09-2021, 12:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My latest camera, the K-70. I love to work with my ist D*, superior handling above the K-70. My K-10D was good enough for years as well, but both cameras had issues, where I was not fully content with them. The K-70 is able so much more. I would not go back.
02-09-2021, 12:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My K-3 was very good for singled out subjects. I've made a number of 20x30" prints that look very good from the K3 at 100 ISO and Tamron 17-50 f28 (yes, a $150 lens and sharp). The K1 and the bunch of DFA lenses took me to 24x36" prints of similar quality (similar to 20x30" from K3), that's a lot of money for 4x6" print size increase. K3 was optimized for pixels sharpness, K1 was optimized for noise. K3 delivered the best images for the money. I guess I should have skipped the K1, kept the K3 as smaller kit and bought a 645z for serious works.

02-09-2021, 12:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My K10d was my only dslr until September when it died on me. I almost didn't replace it at all but ended up getting a KP which is great. I only need one camera, so although the K1 is great and the new K3 will also be great, I won't be getting one. It will be interesting to see how long the KP lasts. Bet it won't be as long as my old Spotmatic F though.
02-09-2021, 01:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The big step for me was from K-r to K5ii,the jump in image quality was phenomenal, the subsequent improvement of the KP was far more incremental.
02-09-2021, 01:50 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

I've enjoyed each and every digital offering from Pentax - exploring the features and the step up in IQ each time - but the turning point for me was the K5iis, I was already pleased with the superb, evolved design of my K5 but the removal of the AA filter allowed me to concentrate less on PP and more on getting the best out of my Analogue era lenses.

Since owning the K1 series I have chosen to take my K5iis on a handful of trips and never regretted it
02-09-2021, 02:06 AM   #11
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Among my digital cameras the K-5 and the Q, but thinking about it if I could keep one Pentax digital it would be the Q. I would be fine just with my Nikon D700’s as my only DSLRs. But there is nothing that could replace the Q with the 03 Fisheye and the (toy) 04 35mm equivalent. (I have almost all the Q lenses but never use the others.)
02-09-2021, 02:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a KS-2 and a K5iiS. I like both but my ideal would be a combination of the two. I prefer to use the K5 but there are times when the flippy screen or the WiFi mean that I use the KS-2, oh and when I want to use the 55-300 PLM.
Sadly it seems that Ricoh/Pentax aren't going to produce what I want(need?) so I'm content with what I've got. To answer the OP's question I think the K5iiS is more than enough camera for my needs or capabilities.
02-09-2021, 02:46 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I still have my K5 which I bought after my Kx and while I have a KP and a K1 I don't have any misgivings if I'm using it. It's my beach holiday camera and usually lives in my office. It's not only good enough but it established that sweet spot of megapixels to low light performance balance where there's only been incremental rather than dramatic improvement since. I can't believe it's over ten years old. It helps explain why DSLR sales have fallen off a cliff.
I have the exact same cameras - but came from an EOS 450. I never hesitate to reach for the K-5 in most situations, image quality-wise the results are great. For deep crops, the others' raw files provide a little more detail, but mostly it's better AF, better live view with focus peaking, and - in case of the KP - a much improved JPEG engine for casual shots that make me reach for the newer cameras.

So quality-wise, the K-5 with its superb build and direct controls was for sure "good enough". But K-1 and KP make it easier.
02-09-2021, 03:07 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well since getting my K-1 I have not used my K-5 but I still use my K-01 when traveling light.
My K-1 is good enough that I don't crave any other camera at the moment!
02-09-2021, 03:09 AM   #15
G&R

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I currently own a K-1, but I don't use it as often as I use my lesser Pentax cameras ... My Pentax K10D has almost everything that I need in a camera (IBIS, a great sensor, good battery, weather resistance, etc.) ... I'm so happy with my K10D's that I may not ever buy another Pentax camera.
Humn.. I would very much like a K10D with the full frame sensor of the K-1 because the K10D has better compatibility with vintage lenses.

I carried my GX10 (K10D) for months through a rainforest, along with other video/camera pieces, and the only item that came back unscathed was the GX10; it has weather sealing, self-cleaning, and..

Am I the only person to notice that at some point Pentax removed the manual IBIS focal length? Setting the manual focal length is a feature in the GX10 menus that I assume is on the K10D also (I have a K10D just out of arms reach and cannot be bothered to check). It is a useful feature when shooting with vintage lenses. Newer Pentax designs fail to accommodate the reality vintage lenses can have more than one focal length, such that K3 batteries need to be taken out to reset the IBIS manual focal length - seriously, why?!

I am also possibly upsetting a lot of people when I point out that cameras are hand held devices, and I find the ergonomics of the camera's grip directly impacts hand shake. I find the hand grip so impactful that newer smaller bodies with squarer corners can impose an f/stop disadvantage. I might also upset some Pentaxians when I point out that the GX10 hand grip has a small recess on the inside where fingers can curl in and actually hold the camera - I would prefer more of that, not less.