Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2021, 06:00 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If you took a camera into them in 1,000 pieces having been run over by a truck, would you expect them to fix it for a fixed price ?
If it had indeed been run over by a truck, than a "flat fee" sounds entirely appropriate.

But seriously, maybe this guy from a few days ago would buy the non-functional K-S2 for parts:

QuoteOriginally posted by JohFredersen Quote
Hello,

My secondhand(no warranty) pentax KS-2's internal LCD stopped displaying images today. Everything works fine with an external display. After opening it up, I saw that the video cable for the screen was all frayed up. I called pentax's listed repair service and they said its 250 minimum to even work on the camera before parts.

02-09-2021, 06:07 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
If it had indeed been run over by a truck, than a "flat fee" sounds entirely appropriate.
02-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Consider selling it as a parts camera. There are not many k-s2 parts available. I'm sure someone would buy it.
Then put that towards a working used K-S2. That would net you out close to the $260.
02-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This was my camera btw. I only paid $300 for it and you can probably find another for $300-$350 range. I don't think it's worth putting $300 into it. I had originally sent this out to the $125 folks in CA. They grinded the solenoid to points, and who knows what else they did to it. After 6 months of light use the problem came back along with a buzzing sound. I attempted to replace the solenoid myself, but may have overheated the solenoid posts because I was using a butane soldering gun. I had a hard time soldering it. I've since done the replacement on my K-70 (yeah I'm mr lucky) and it was allot easier with the right tools...as my K-70 works great. Cosmetically the K-S2 us good...keep it for parts and find another...or sell it for parts and put whatever you get towards something else...imo

02-09-2021, 09:22 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be entirely fair, I think at one point precision may have given a flat rate. It just doesn’t seem like an option now.
02-09-2021, 09:32 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would be interested in it as well, for the LCD screen. I got a good deal on a K70 with a funky LCD. I believe I read somewhere here that the K-S2 and K-70 use the same one.
02-10-2021, 01:52 AM   #22

I do not like Precision camera.
The precision camera in Austin do not fix any Pentax camera in store, they send all Pentax cameras to California, then charge $45 “process fee”
Here is my experience with Precision camera.
I fell and broke the external flash on my k3ii a year ago. A small pin on the hotshoe fell inside, the camera was still working fine, but a Pentax forum member told me I have to get the pin out. I took it to Precision camera and they said they will have to ship it to California, estimated at least 6 weeks to fix it. So I took it to another small camera repair shop in Austin. He took it out without any problem, and the camera was working fine when I picked it up from the shop. When I got home, I took it out of bag, immediately noticed the camera is hot. When I turned on the camera, the camera function fine for 10 seconds, then freeze. I took it back to the shop and the repairman gave me back the money said he couldn’t fix it. I took it to precision, 6 weeks later they quoted $560. I didn’t have $560 to fix my k3ii, so I paid $45 to precision to get my camera back. 6 months later, in December 2020, I finally saved enough money to fix my broken k3ii, I took it to precision, paid another $45, last week they called said Ricoh estimated $860. $300 increase in less than a year....
Please do not send your ks2 to precision camera, they just want to make money from the process fee without fixing your camera.

02-10-2021, 03:38 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pufferchung Quote
The precision camera in Austin do not fix any Pentax camera in store, they send all Pentax cameras to California, then charge $45 “process fee”. . .
Precision in Conn does the warranty work

they will also do work on gear without warranty coverage

https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/repairs/

https://www.precisioncamera.com/

Precision in Texas does not

lots of complaints about that one too

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-10-2021 at 03:43 AM.
02-10-2021, 05:27 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The precision camera in Austin do not fix any Pentax camera in store, they send all Pentax cameras to California, then charge $45 “process fee”
I fell and broke the external flash on my k3ii a year ago. A small pin on the hotshoe fell inside, the camera was still working fine, but a Pentax forum member told me I have to get the pin out. I took it to Precision camera and they said they will have to ship it to California, estimated at least 6 weeks to fix it. So I took it to another small camera repair shop in Austin. He took it out without any problem, and the camera was working fine when I picked it up from the shop. When I got home, I took it out of bag, immediately noticed the camera is hot. When I turned on the camera, the camera function fine for 10 seconds, then freeze. I took it back to the shop and the repairman gave me back the money said he couldn’t fix it. I took it to precision, 6 weeks later they quoted $560. I didn’t have $560 to fix my k3ii, so I paid $45 to precision to get my camera back. 6 months later, in December 2020, I finally saved enough money to fix my broken k3ii, I took it to precision, paid another $45, last week they called said Ricoh estimated $860. $300 increase in less than a year....
Please do not send your ks2 to precision camera, they just want to make money from the process fee without fixing your camera.
That's unfortunate, but any time in the last few years you could buy a used K-3ii for $500 or less. It seems very wasteful to toss a camera that could be repaired, but at least that's a more cost-effective option.
02-10-2021, 07:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
I would be interested in it as well, for the LCD screen. I got a good deal on a K70 with a funky LCD. I believe I read somewhere here that the K-S2 and K-70 use the same one.
You have a PM... I'll send it for shipping cost to you or to someone who needs it for parts.
02-10-2021, 07:31 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
This was my camera btw. I only paid $300 for it and you can probably find another for $300-$350 range. I don't think it's worth putting $300 into it. I had originally sent this out to the $125 folks in CA. They grinded the solenoid to points, and who knows what else they did to it. After 6 months of light use the problem came back along with a buzzing sound. I attempted to replace the solenoid myself, but may have overheated the solenoid posts because I was using a butane soldering gun. I had a hard time soldering it. I've since done the replacement on my K-70 (yeah I'm mr lucky) and it was allot easier with the right tools...as my K-70 works great. Cosmetically the K-S2 us good...keep it for parts and find another...or sell it for parts and put whatever you get towards something else...imo
I appreciate you sending it to me and I really needed it since my main camera (the K-S1) has issues... and everyone makes mistakes. I'm glad you were now able to fix your K-70! I've certainly made that K-S2 worse from my attempts to fix it. But it still has a good sensor and screen and a good casing, so it can go a long way to help some people...

I've since bought a K-3 and while that has also had some challenges, it's working now, except for that common issue with it losing date/time which I guess happens to most k-3s these days...
02-10-2021, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You have a PM... I'll send it for shipping cost to you or to someone who needs it for parts.
A suggestion. Make it a pay it forward camera. Send it to person A, they take the part they need, they ship to the next person who needs a part etc.
02-10-2021, 07:43 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah honestly unless they really had a flat rate - which is now clear they don't - I would only use them for warranty work, where they would HAVE to fix whatever is wrong with the camera.

You can certainly buy a K-3II for less than even your initial repair cost (especially if you consider if you buy from most camera stores, shipping is free and you'd have to ship your broken camera to and from Precision...). B&H, KEH and MPB all have K-3IIs right now for less than 600 dollars. I'd personally get the one from KEH because when KEH says it's in Excellent condition, I'm very sure that it is.

Good luck!
02-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A suggestion. Make it a pay it forward camera. Send it to person A, they take the part they need, they ship to the next person who needs a part etc.
Yes that is what I was thinking about as well. That way we can hopefully put a few K-S2s back to work
02-10-2021, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Yeah honestly unless they really had a flat rate - which is now clear they don't - I would only use them for warranty work, where they would HAVE to fix whatever is wrong with the camera.
Also as pointed out; precision in Texas isn’t the same as precision in CT. They aren’t branches of the same company. The one in CT is the one doing warranty work.