Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Precision Camera - flat fee question

I'm going to post this here rather than in the K-S2 forum, because question does apply to any Pentax DSLR...

Could a camera be "too broken" for the Precision Camera flat repair fee? They do state it's an "estimate".

I was given a K-S2 a while back to see if I could do anything with it, and it probably needs entire new internals. I'm actually getting keen on the idea of having it repaired. At 242 dollars incl. shipping for a working K-S2 it's not a bad deal at all (with me shipping it to them, it'll be about 260 dollars already), but if they decide to charge quite a bit more, then not so much. Do they stick to that fixed estimate price?

02-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have heard of refusal to repair, “not economically feasible”. Also I’m unaware of them giving a flat fee. I went to their site and the language was, estimate.

Fine print also says this:

QuoteQuote:
For Out-of-Warranty repairs you will be contacted with a repair estimate once your product is received and evaluated by our technicians. We will request your credit card information at that time. Your credit card will not be charged until the repair work is completed. We may however do a pre-authorization hold on the card. Units returned unrepaired for any reason, including declined estimates are subject to a diagnostic fee and return shipping. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.
02-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Could a camera be "too broken" for the Precision Camera flat repair fee? They do state it's an "estimate".
...and estimate is what they mean. Precision Camera does not do repairs flat fee. What they will do is bind your credit card for a set amount (depends on camera/lens) and ask permission to charge you more, if on examination the cost will be higher. If my memory serves me correct, they sometimes come in below the set binder, but I would expect that to be rare.

Steve

(...not quite sure where the flat rate tale came from, though I do remember them offering aperture block replacement flat rate at one time...)
02-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think I have heard of it like a flat fee like KEH's but maybe I am just confused....

02-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I would say that the basics of it would be that they would advise you of what the repair fee would be after diagnosing the problem. If you refused the offer, then as was expressed in one of the above posts, there may or may not be a diagnosis fee, and the shipping would most likely be the responsibility of the person that sent the camera in. If you possibly contacted their customer service dept. and told them what type of problem you are having if you have a specific description, they may be able to give you some sort of idea of what the process would be like.
02-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Could a camera be "too broken" for the Precision Camera flat repair fee? They do state it's an "estimate"
If you took a camera into them in 1,000 pieces having been run over by a truck, would you expect them to fix it for a fixed price ?
02-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

from their web site:

QuoteQuote:
. . . For Out-of-Warranty repairs you will be contacted with a repair estimate once your product is received and evaluated by our technicians. We will request your credit card information at that time. Your credit card will not be charged until the repair work is completed. We may however do a pre-authorization hold on the card. Units returned unrepaired for any reason, including declined estimates are subject to a diagnostic fee and return shipping. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more details.. . .
Precision Camera - Repair Quote

found by working through their " Learn More " section for DSLR repair

QuoteQuote:
Precision Camera offers a 90-day, same defect warranty on all repairs. Save time by using our Cost Estimator above to get an idea of what to expect from Precision Camera’s fair and affordable pricing. Save Money, Save the Environment - Rethink Repair! As always, it is up to you to approve a repair estimate.
Precision Camera - Home Page
02-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I would ask them what is the range of cost for a diagnostic evaluation.

02-09-2021, 02:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
and it probably needs entire new internals
What specifically is wrong with the camera?

If it is a water damage type situation where it needs a new main board, sensor, shutter, mirror box, maybe everything, then it will cost way more than $260.
In fact I would guess any one of those in the list will cost more than $260.
02-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
What specifically is wrong with the camera?

If it is a water damage type situation where it needs a new main board, sensor, shutter, mirror box, maybe everything, then it will cost way more than $260.
In fact I would guess any one of those in the list will cost more than $260.
The previous owner attempted to fix the solenoid issue with a butane gas soldering gun, so the internals are fried. Either aperture method doesn't work (manual/ring, or automated), mirror doesn't work - doesn't even align, it's in a different position every time I look at it.

The sensor seems good. If I can get the mirror out of the way with live view I can shoot wide open shots and they look good.

But I guess it'll have to go to the trash can.

By the way, looking at some forum history, I'm not the first one who thought the Precision fee was a flat fee... oh well.
02-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I would ask them what is the range of cost for a diagnostic evaluation.
It's Precision, you can't get anyone on a phone. I'd have to send it in and pay shipping both ways and the estimate cost, very likely losing that money because I doubt it's worth fixing. If it was a flat fee I think it would be worth it, but there's too much wrong with it and I'm sure it'll require a whole main board, aperture block etc.
02-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #12

Given the damage you described I pretty sure Precision will decline to work on the camera. I recall the Camerville guy said if you press "1" or something you can usually get a live person. But then that was before the COVID-19 situation.
02-09-2021, 03:38 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I have heard of it like a flat fee like KEH's but maybe I am just confused....
KEH does not do a flat fee per se either, at least not for dSLRs. $300 unless major parts are required, parts and labor if so.

Steve
02-09-2021, 03:45 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The previous owner attempted to fix the solenoid issue with a butane gas soldering gun, so the internals are fried. Either aperture method doesn't work (manual/ring, or automated), mirror doesn't work - doesn't even align, it's in a different position every time I look at it.
I remember that one. It may be that its main value is for repair parts for another project. A repair would likely be in the same price range as a new K-70.

Steve
02-09-2021, 06:00 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If you took a camera into them in 1,000 pieces having been run over by a truck, would you expect them to fix it for a fixed price ?
If it had indeed been run over by a truck, than a "flat fee" sounds entirely appropriate.

But seriously, maybe this guy from a few days ago would buy the non-functional K-S2 for parts:

QuoteOriginally posted by JohFredersen Quote
Hello,

My secondhand(no warranty) pentax KS-2's internal LCD stopped displaying images today. Everything works fine with an external display. After opening it up, I saw that the video cable for the screen was all frayed up. I called pentax's listed repair service and they said its 250 minimum to even work on the camera before parts.