Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2021, 07:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxxoid Quote
I am on the fence about K70 vs KP. I am inclined towards KP because of better autofocus, IBIS, and metal body, but I am worried about the grip. I would really like to hold KP in my hands to see if this is an actual issue. Does anyone have an idea where in Ottawa, Canada, that would be possible? The stores are closed now, but will probably re-open in a week. The problem is none of the stores actually have Pentax on site. One can only order them online.
I agree not being able to handle Pentax cameras in-person is a disadvantage, but I'm guessing you'd adapt. After all we all used to have cameras with no grips or tiny grips.

Why are you buying a camera now vs. some other time? What do you have now? In any case I think you have to include the price of the cameras in any comparison. Otherwise, maybe just wait a few weeks and consider a K-3iii. Given price as no consideration I'd definitely do that. Otherwise, if the price is close, I would probably choose a KP vs. a K-70. But a couple of months ago, with a new KP at $700US and a new K-70 at $350US, that would have been a different story.

02-16-2021, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Why are you buying a camera now vs. some other time? What do you have now? In any case I think you have to include the price of the cameras in any comparison. Otherwise, maybe just wait a few weeks and consider a K-3iii. Given price as no consideration I'd definitely do that. Otherwise, if the price is close, I would probably choose a KP vs. a K-70. But a couple of months ago, with a new KP at $700US and a new K-70 at $350US, that would have been a different story.
I have a K110D and it is a camera from the past. SharkyCA was very kind to let me handle his K70. It is just a different class of a camera. The grip is very comfortable, autofocus is instantaneous, and overall it left a very good impression. I will try to get my hands on KP before finally buying.
K-3iii is not an option for me because of the price. I would rather get another lens. In a few years, when the price comes down, maybe. I am not an "early adopter".
02-16-2021, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxxoid Quote
I have a K110D and it is a camera from the past. SharkyCA was very kind to let me handle his K70. It is just a different class of a camera. The grip is very comfortable, autofocus is instantaneous, and overall it left a very good impression. I will try to get my hands on KP before finally buying.
K-3iii is not an option for me because of the price. I would rather get another lens. In a few years, when the price comes down, maybe. I am not an "early adopter".
I would not buy the first batch of any new model either, partly because the price might drop but also to see how reliability fares. There have been some startup issues before (sensor defects, for example) so waiting to see what others experience seems like a good idea if you don't need a new camera immediately. I have never tried a KP but have tried a K-70 and it's a nice camera, although I prefer the ergonomics of my K-5. Like I said while I have no hands-on experience with it, for $100 extra I would probably choose a KP vs. a K-70, but for $350 extra I'd choose a K-70 and have enough left over for a(nother) decent lens. In between would be a tougher decision.
02-16-2021, 10:57 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I have never tried a KP but have tried a K-70 and it's a nice camera, although I prefer the ergonomics of my K-5.
Yes, K-5 ergonomics are better than a K-70 or K-S2, in operational aspects of quickness and ease of making adjustments on the fly (on-body controls and the layout of their use), as well as general handling, especially when having to hold the camera when not shooting in a session of substantial length, and especially with larger, heavier lenses. With a KP, this is also somewhat true, even slightly trailing the K-S2 or K-70 in the general handling over lengthy periods aspect, but well above those two models in the operational controls aspect, and in this regard near a tossup with the excellent K-5 series. When the KP's battery grip is added, it even pulls ahead of the K-5 series (or the similar K-3 series) without their battery grip, in the general handling aspect, yet at about the same weight as a K-3 II. I know from using both my KP for over two years now and my longer-term K-5 IIs.

---------- Post added 02-16-21 at 11:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Here is what looks like an "unbiased" comparison! Pentax K-70 vs Pentax KP Comparison Review

Cheers
I agree that report is "unbiased", in that they give a comparative rundown of specifications in a factual manner. However it is also a more general report which is unintentionally biased by leaving out discussing or designating new advancements that are also listed in differences between the two models, which could be important, depending on the individual, the equipment they may use, and their methods. The report by negating these advancements and differences, is essentially representing the two models as being practically identical in what they offer. Again, for some, who for a variety of reasons, would not find these advancements and differences to be useful or advantageous, the report could be adequate, but not for many others. Even if I were one of those where these advancements would not be effective for what I do, and with the lenses and other equipment I use and the way I use them (some occasionally posting here mostly or always shoot with vintage MF lenses, do spot metering, and lots of MF macro work, little else) I would at least still think along the lines of caliber of build, durability, and long-term reliability. To me, that alone is well worth the $150 more for the KP, which is now at a remarkable price for such a camera. But that's just me- the way I think. Of course, everyone has their own priorities, and/or that extra money might not be doable, and each must reach their own decisions.

I don't know what is meant in that report regarding only the flagship models having a "control panel". Perhaps they mean the top LCD panel. All models now have a "control panel" accessed via the"info" button, which is a number of quick link categories for access instead of having to scroll through all the menus via the "menu" button.

For a more in-depth "unbiased" report, I suggest simply scrolling up to the top here in the black header area, where in white lettering you'll see "Cameras". Clicking on that will bring a list in which you'll see "In-depth reviews". The KP is among those. Since it is a more recent report than that of the K-70, it talks about new things it brings to the table. In their comparison chart between the K-3 II, the KP, and the K-70, they highlight the more advanced features among the models that are missing in one or the other.

There are some things I have discovered during the course of use that I have not seen in evaluative or comparison reports. My K-S2 has a number of important features in common with the K-70. It uses the same PRIME M II processor but minus the accelerator, which helps with the lower noise and IQ at higher ISO settings. Yet my K-S2 is no slouch there, about in the same league as the K-5IIs which is still very good. I was disappointed to learn that he K-70 now omits the special selfie feature of the K-S2 that upon reversing the articling screen to the frontward position automatically converts the wifi button to a second shutter release button. Since my K-S2 is usually my camera of choice with the very compact DA-L 18-50mm lens when I need a DSLR for casual social use, this is one of my favorites of its special features. The camera is awkward enough to try using when holding it backwards, but now with only the front shutter button available, makes the selfie much more difficult, and situation with the fully articulating screen less useful.

Speaking of right-hand grip, holding, etc. in the K-70 in-depth review, it is mentioned its grip has been made a bit thicker compared to the K-S2, but as is shown, the rear thumb rest is still virtually identical. It is stated using this camera for one-handed shooting is not recommended due to instability problems because of the inadequate thumb rest, as the thumb securely positioned is important for good stability. I have noticed this with my K-S2, and also that this small thumb rest makes it all too easy to accidentally hit one of the buttons or controls so close to it. The KP's right hand rear thumb rest is much better. Of course, so is that of the K-5 series, but then their having a larger space to work with helps a great deal. There is the matter of the deeper middle finger notch, which has been deepened on the K-70 and the where the KP merely has a small bump. This deeper finger notch makes the hold on the camera for general handling feel more secure. But aside from this greater feeling of security, I have found this finger notch can be the source of stress on the right hand middle finger when on a shoot lasting for a lengthy stretch of time. With the KP, I simply use my trigger finger over the front wheel housing for added security, while the other 3 fingers have enough room to grasp the grip. This takes pressure off the middle finger. Adding the battery grip greatly enhances the gripping surface, yet without adding any pressure on the middle finger.

Not enough has been made in these reports/reviews about the KP's new controls. Instead of dedicated on-body controls of a flagship model, other models require going into menus for the various functions both due to expense and because of less room for such controls. The KP's concept is to incorporate many control features being quickly accessed via a space-saving dial atop the camera body. For example, if you encounter a tricky lighting situation where you'd like to take spot meter readings, to change the metering mode to spot metering, turn the dial to the designation "AE" (quite strange this should mean "metering mode") and then select your choice. Another example not even found on the K-5 series- I haven't seen an on-body bracketing control to be found on any flagship body since the much larger K20D (which I still have). But now here it is once again on the KP via this topside dial! There are many options for this dial, including programming your own choice to access.

And speaking of metering, exposure has been quite accurate with the KP's metering system, as I have found. It is the same as that of the K-3 II and the K-1 II.

I did not think I would benefit from the KP's upgraded AF system SAFFOX 11 with 27 points, since I mostly use spot AF anyway, yet I was surprised to find AF with many lenses to be noticeably improved over my K-S2 or my K-5 IIs when used on the KP, especially screw-driven lenses, even the HD DA 55-300mm WR non-PLM.

The K-5 series has been widely recognized for exceptional dynamic range, it DR still a leading factor even after the arrival of the subsequent K-3 series. That is a long time to be in the front section of the field. Yet here too I've been finding the KP has pulled ahead!

I don't know all the particulars of the KP's (and the K- 1 II's) PRIM IV with accelerator, but I can say my results right out of the camera are the best I have ever experienced. Much like getting what would be expected from going to a K-1 II but yet staying with APS-C in a compact form. This has been verified for me upon having my new K-1 II over the past 3 months or so.

All of the above has been of importance for me, but might not be of interest or of practical value for others.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-17-2021 at 05:59 PM.