Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2021, 08:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Where to handle KP in Ottawa, Canada?

I am on the fence about K70 vs KP. I am inclined towards KP because of better autofocus, IBIS, and metal body, but I am worried about the grip. I would really like to hold KP in my hands to see if this is an actual issue. Does anyone have an idea where in Ottawa, Canada, that would be possible? The stores are closed now, but will probably re-open in a week. The problem is none of the stores actually have Pentax on site. One can only order them online.

02-10-2021, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Field trip to London?
Camera Canada :: Interchangeable Lens Cameras

I'd call first, but they are the only store I recent memory that actually has had Pentax gear you can handle.

I'm sure someone in Ottawa has one. Some PMs might get you a hookup.

Last edited by normhead; 02-10-2021 at 08:41 AM.
02-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

unless you can find someone in your area which has one and will let you handle it, you may be stuck with buying one and taking advantage of a return policy

be sure to read the policy carefully

here is B & H:
QuoteQuote:
Return Policy & Instructions
Easy 30-Day Return Policy
If you are dissatisfied with your purchase for any reason, you may return it to B&H within 30 days of the purchase date, subject to the conditions and exclusions below.

If your original item included free items, you must return all associated items for a full refund; the retail value of any free items you keep will be deducted from your reimbursement total.. . .

Eligibility Conditions
Please read conditions below. If all conditions are not met, B&H reserves the right to refuse the return or to charge a minimum 15% restocking fee. All returned items must be in new condition, in their original unaltered box (including an intact UPC code) and must include all packing material, blank warranty cards, manuals, accompanying free items and accessories. The retail value of any free items you keep will be deducted from your reimbursement total. B&H can only refund the original purchase price. Shipping and handling fees are nonrefundable.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/ReturnExchange.jsp?

new condition, at least to me, would mean no use at all, they can check if the shutter has been used

you can check other sellers such as Amazon and Adorama
02-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
unless you can find someone in your area which has one and will let you handle it, you may be stuck with buying one and taking advantage of a return policy

be sure to read the policy carefully

here is B & H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/ReturnExchange.jsp?

new condition, at least to me, would mean no use at all, they can check if the shutter has been used

you can check other sellers such as Amazon and Adorama
This is Canada.

Check with Henry's. They used to have a 7 day no questions asked tryout and return policy, and return for credit after two weeks or a month or something, but you could order it and try it out in the store, then just say no if not to your liking.. Handy if you can put it on a credit card and just have them reverse the charge if you return it. There are at least two Henry's locations in the Ottawa area. I've been to the downtown store and the Kanata store. I've always found them to be good people to work with.

02-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in Ottawa to visit family and recall going to Henry's many years back. I bought a Jobu head from them. At the time, they seemed to have some Pentax equipment, but I really can't say can't it is like now. They seemed to be a pretty reliable company anyway.
02-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This is Canada.. . .
oops

sorry about that
02-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I agree with what's been said here about Henry's (they just don't typically carry Pentax on the shelf). I have fairly large hands and with the large grip on the KP I don't really notice. It could be a little bigger I guess. If you were in Southern Ontario (like closer to Toronto) I'd let you give it a try.

02-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My input. The first few times I picked up my new KP I was worried. The next day it was as if my brain had processed it over night and it felt great.

Bear in mind I’m an old hand at proper two handed shooting with manual focus film cameras. The proper technique makes it easy to handle (open palm of left hand under the camera - fingers on the lens. Unless the lens is large and then the palm goes under the lens also. )

With the k-3 the grip was easier to actually shoot one handed with an autofocus lens of moderate size and still maintain stability thanks to the grip and ibis.

To me that says the k-3 grip is great but comes at a price - size and perhaps weight. The KP is a good compromise. I’m still trying to decide if the medium or large grip is better for my needs.
02-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #9

I had noticed a KP for sale locally on Kijiji buy & sell, while browsing a few weeks ago..., I just checked and the listing is still up:
Pentax Kp with 35mm f2 lens. In great near mint condition. Less than 200 actuations.Picture coming soonAsking 850$
Pentax Kp with 35mm f2 lens | Cameras & Camcorders | Ottawa | Kijiji

Maybe that's you best bet for a hands on?
(I am not affiliated with this seller or listing)
Halide
02-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera Canada in London, Ont. is an awesome store. Contact the manager, Mr Todd, and take arrangements with him or simply ask him to describe the differences between the 2 models you are considering.

Regards
02-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxxoid Quote
I am on the fence about K70 vs KP. I am inclined towards KP because of better autofocus, IBIS, and metal body, but I am worried about the grip. I would really like to hold KP in my hands to see if this is an actual issue. Does anyone have an idea where in Ottawa, Canada, that would be possible? The stores are closed now, but will probably re-open in a week. The problem is none of the stores actually have Pentax on site. One can only order them online.
I have a K70 and large hands, I live in Carleton Place, if you need some hands on send me a PM and we could maybe arrange something...bring your rubber gloves!

We could meet at a Tim's!
02-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My input. The first few times I picked up my new KP I was worried. The next day it was as if my brain had processed it over night and it felt great.

Bear in mind I’m an old hand at proper two handed shooting with manual focus film cameras. The proper technique makes it easy to handle (open palm of left hand under the camera - fingers on the lens. Unless the lens is large and then the palm goes under the lens also. )

With the k-3 the grip was easier to actually shoot one handed with an autofocus lens of moderate size and still maintain stability thanks to the grip and ibis.

To me that says the k-3 grip is great but comes at a price - size and perhaps weight. The KP is a good compromise. I’m still trying to decide if the medium or large grip is better for my needs.
This! ^^^ There's a real misleading danger that merely walking into a store to hold a camera for some period of time, which feeling different than what you are used to will result in- "No. I don't like this as well..." being your thought. There may be a period of acclamation.

I also come from years of using Pentax 35mm film SLR bodies having a variety of grip designs, including no actual grip. Among their last designs were the ZX/MZ 5n, and the last one the pro-model MZ-S, both having quite small grips, less even than the largest KP grip. The 35mm film model having a substantial grip similar to those found on APS-C flagship models of today was the very large PZ-1p. I have all three of these. But unlike the previous two bodies, the PZ-1p had no accessory battery grip available. I got so I could very quickly adjust to each design in my holding and usage.

I currently shoot with a flagship model- K-5 IIs, a K-S2, and most often a KP. On lesser occasion, also with my old. larger K20D. The K-S2 is the predecessor of the K-70 and has a very similar design. I have no problem operating with any of them. Yet there are differences, advantages, disadvantages, etc. While I have no problem using my KP in the shooting position, even with a larger lens where I prefer the largest grip, especially for use over a more lengthy period where I will be carrying the camera during waiting intervals but ready to shoot, not just having it hang on my neck or back into my belt holster case. In these circumstances, the grip of my K-2S is a bit better for such handling, while that of my K-5 IIs is better yet. The larger the lens, the more this is true. However, with the KP's accessory battery grip installed, all this changes dramatically! It provides far more gripping surface, even more if held in the vertical orientation. The KP's handling with a large, heavier lens is then far better than with my K-S2 which is similar to the K-70, and even better than my K-5 IIs without its battery grip, which I also have. With the K-S2, like the K-70, there is no further optional battery grip available. Furthermore, with the battery grip, if you now or in the future might sometimes shoot events where you'd rather avoid having to pause for changing batteries, the KP with its battery grip will provide far more shooting time than the K-70 is capable of, and even yet significantly more shooting time than a K-5 IIs or K-3 is capable of without a battery grip.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-10-2021 at 11:33 PM.
02-15-2021, 01:56 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Had a meeting with @pentaxxoid and he got some hands on with m k-70, I think he was impressed!
02-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yep, Pentax does provide the most full-featured entry level DSLR models. This is important for drawing new customers into the line with the lower cost/better features aspect.

---------- Post added 02-15-21 at 03:23 PM ----------

I am inclined towards KP because of better autofocus, IBIS, and metal body
A far better build quality, and unlike the K-S2 and K-70 as well as other entry level models of recent years, the KP is not prone to the possible aperture control solenoid failure. The KP also has a far better set of controls. A remarkable design. Quicker access with less need to go into menus. It is very much like a pint-sized version of the FF flagship, the K-1 II. But the KP's controls are a later version of the concept and somewhat a refinement of it. The KP is useful as a compact field camera for pros and advance photographers. No amateur-oriented "Scene" modes.

The KP also shares the K-1 II's PRIME IV processor, and its advanced exposure metering system, as well as its AF design. The KP's 24 mp sensor is more recently developed, not the same one as in the K-70. The KP's built-in flash can also be used as a trigger for outboard slave flash setups. If you like shooting high-quality JPEG images right out of the camera, the KP's processor does an outstanding job. Just be sure to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus for best fine detailed results.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-15-2021 at 03:36 PM.
02-16-2021, 06:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Yep, Pentax does provide the most full-featured entry level DSLR models. This is important for drawing new customers into the line with the lower cost/better features aspect.

---------- Post added 02-15-21 at 03:23 PM ----------

A far better build quality, and unlike the K-S2 and K-70 as well as other entry level models of recent years, the KP is not prone to the possible aperture control solenoid failure. The KP also has a far better set of controls. A remarkable design. Quicker access with less need to go into menus. It is very much like a pint-sized version of the FF flagship, the K-1 II. But the KP's controls are a later version of the concept and somewhat a refinement of it. The KP is useful as a compact field camera for pros and advance photographers. No amateur-oriented "Scene" modes.

The KP also shares the K-1 II's PRIME IV processor, and its advanced exposure metering system, as well as its AF design. The KP's 24 mp sensor is more recently developed, not the same one as in the K-70. The KP's built-in flash can also be used as a trigger for outboard slave flash setups. If you like shooting high-quality JPEG images right out of the camera, the KP's processor does an outstanding job. Just be sure to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus for best fine detailed results.
Here is what looks like an "unbiased" comparison! Pentax K-70 vs Pentax KP Comparison Review

Cheers