Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2021, 07:39 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
Camera trapping is a blast and I wish it would come up more often on this forum.

I've been doing it for a couple years now and it is very addicting. It's taught me a lot about flash photography, scene planning and composition. Finding out what you've caught while away can be like Christmas morning for a child. The biggest downside is you're at risk for having your system stolen when you're away.

I see you purchased the Pluto and I believe I answered the relevant question in that thread. I have the Pluto, but never use it for camera trapping. I mainly bought it for the lightning sensor, but have yet to be in the right place at the right time to capture lightning with it.

If you get serious, it'll require some cash outflow as you'll need to buy or build a camera housing, sensor, flashes, remote triggers and receivers and mounts. There are a lot of DIY options for the sensor, housings and mounts. Cameratrapper.com forum doesn't get a lot of action but has good information. Also look at the "how to" sections and videos on the websites for Camtraptions and Cognysis.

My go to overnight sensor/trigger is the Cognysis Sabre, which provides control over every option imaginable and is probably the best sensor out there. It's pricey and has an internal battery that wouldn't last long enough for a prolonged set up. I like it because I can measure my beam distance, set the number of shots, time between shots and adjust the shutter press duration allowing it to awaken Pentax cameras and appropriately fire the flashes on the first detection of motion. Other sensors may only awaken the sleeping camera with the first detection and may not fire until the second.

Congysis also has a "cheaper" RangeIR sensor which works very well and would last longer in the field. It triggers a single shot and isn't waterproof.

The Camtraptions PIR v3 is the wireless and waterproof sensor I use for setups that are out for a week or two. It's a bit tricky to learn, but works well.

The popular flash for camera trapping is the old (purchased used) Nikon SB28 as it is relatively cheap (going up due to camera trapping demand however) and awakens and fires very rapidly. I use Camtraptions wireless triggers and receivers for all my remote flashes. There was a rumor that Camtraptions is going to make a similar flash, but I have yet to see it.

Here's a link to some of what I've captured over the last couple years. Most are at a watering hole I created to camera trap nocturnal visitors when the weather is warm. At the opposite end of my watering hole is a wooden platform where my camera sits beneath an upside down rubbermaid tub with a hole in the side to shoot through. I've added sound dampening foam to the inside of the tub to deaden the sound of the camera as it's awakened or shooting (this would be a good situation for mirrorless). I have the off camera flashes in modified clear tupperware containers mounted on poles. Everything is painted with DIY camo colors.

Camera trap | Flickr
I have Camtraptions PIR v3. What cable did you use to connect to the wireless triggers?

05-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by berbmil Quote
I have Camtraptions PIR v3. What cable did you use to connect to the wireless triggers?
The receiver for the Wireless PIR v3 sensor connects to Pentax cameras using a Canon E3 cable.
05-18-2021, 06:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky Dog Quote
I'm curious if there are any motion activated triggers available out there that will connect to a Pentax DSLR?
There are many. Cactus made a fine one, but they're going out of business. Hahnel makes some pretty fantastic products also.
05-19-2021, 12:43 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by berbmil Quote
A great way of encouragement by sharing some of your photos. I enjoyed looing at them berbmil

01-18-2022, 01:50 PM   #20

Wondering if anyone in this thread had tried using the Pluto transmitter and receiver for canon with their Pentax gear and If it works. From product info it is unclear if it requires a hot show (which suggests or won’t work because canon and Pentax hotshots differ) or if it plugs into the remote shutter release (which suggests that it will work as canon and Pentax wired shutter release are interchangeable.

Thoughts?
01-18-2022, 08:16 PM   #21

Pluto's hot shoe doesn't have any contacts in it. It just provides away of attaching it to your camera or tripod for convenience. The connection is made through the remote shutter release as you mentioned. In the smartphone app you choose which camera brand and model it is for. You do need to make sure that it has the right sync cord for the specific camera which you can get when it is purchased. Hope that helps.
01-19-2022, 09:59 PM   #22

Thank you so very much. If that is the case it sounds as though the canon transceivers will work with the Pluto and ax the canon and Pentax shutter release cables are the same the cord that comes with a set of canon transceivers should work. Many, many thanks!