Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2021, 05:03 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G&R Quote
The history of my DL2 is that I bought it for spare parts, and before stripping it for parts I tried it out - what struck me about the DL2 was that it was not at all dark. In fact the view was brighter than my pentaprism cameras. DL2 development was strongly influenced by Samsung and maybe they introduced something into the mix. Maybe Samsung-Pentax experimented with newer materials? Maybe the DL2 is better made? Maybe it will worsen with age, and its only 15 years old..

The history of my DL2 is similar. It was sitting unloved and unwanted in a "junk" shop with no lens and a £20 price ticket on it. I was allowed to test it briefly, so I fitted lens, batteries and card and lo and behold it worked
I really don't notice any difference in the penta-mirror viewfinder of the DL2 or the pentaprisms on my other cameras, but that could be because I only usually use it in good light so I don't reach it's limits. If I can find a hand-held meter that still works, maybe one day I'll set up a test rig and check the light actually transmitted to the eye through the DL2 and one or more of my other cameras.

02-25-2021, 08:24 AM   #32
G&R

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I really don't notice any difference in the penta-mirror viewfinder of the DL2 or the pentaprisms on my other cameras, but that could be because I only usually use it in good light so I don't reach it's limits.
This conversation has prompted me to double check.

In my case the DL2 pentamirror is definitely brighter than the K10D pentaprism of the same age (both date from 2006). I wish my observation was not the case, but it is irrefutable on my end

I also wish I could speculate that the K10D has had a dirtier life but I have personally overseen its use from new, and always stored it in a clean case. In contrast, my DL2 has been cleaned because there were insects living inside when I received it, but there is no way I could accidentally have cleaned a pentamirror.. maybe the insects cleaned in there?
02-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This conversation has prompted me to double check.

In my case the DL2 pentamirror is definitely brighter than the K10D pentaprism of the same age (both date from 2006). I wish my observation was not the case, but it is irrefutable on my end

I also wish I could speculate that the K10D has had a dirtier life but I have personally overseen its use from new, and always stored it in a clean case. In contrast, my DL2 has been cleaned because there were insects living inside when I received it, but there is no way I could accidentally have cleaned a pentamirror.. maybe the insects cleaned in there?
Wow. Thatís unexpected.
02-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #34
G&R

Indeed. I suppose its possible the DL2 was repaired/serviced at some point, but it still defies the expectations handed down by theory.

Edit: Example JPEG from this camera trying to show what comes from the "low spec" 6MP sensor, which looks finely detailed to me. I cannot find my tripod so this is handheld.

Last edited by G&R; 02-25-2021 at 04:44 PM. Reason: 6MP sensor.
02-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed. I suppose its possible the DL2 was repaired/serviced at some point, but it still defies the expectations handed down by theory.
Even with cleaning Iíd not have expected that result. Very interesting and as earlier posts suggested the differences arenít stark based on this. My two remaining pentamirror cameras seem to be shedding some coatings or otherwise degrading the mirrors. I recall the k-50 being a revolution in viewfinder brightness but it was new and the k100d super was used when I got it.