Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian

K-30 to K-70 transition? => some adjustment necessary, but the positives certainly outweighed the negatives (of which the grip was not one - but, maybe because I have relatively large hands?)

PS: I had a K-r for a time, but was never "Impressed" after the K-5 that was my main cam at that time, and so it was soon sold on - and soon replaced by the K-30 (that's now a "K-50" with the hacked f/w)

Last edited by jeallen01; 02-27-2021 at 12:57 PM.
02-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I've had the k-70 for a week, and I still can't get use to it's grip. My previous camera was the k-r, and it felt right in my hand.
The k-70 however, just feels big and beefy. I'm seriously considering sending it back.

But what to replace it with? I don't want to spend even more money to get the kp.
I don't mind going downwards in megapixels, say to 16.
I heartily recommend the K-5 IIs. It is a larger body, but feels very comfortable in hand. Its right hand grip will be a broader, roomier grip than that of the K-70's. It s a larger, pro-style design and build quality with numerous convenient on-body controls to enjoy. I still have and use mine, even though the KP is my main body. It weighs about 2 oz. more than a K-70. The KP is the more compact body, though very well-built pro-quality also. Its body is more shallow, very solid, yet it weighs about the same as the K-70. And its controls are way above those of the K-70. Its grip varies depending on preferences with different lenses, etc. and is quite different than the usual design. Its smallest grip is shallow but broad and comfortable with a small lens. Perhaps consider altering your camera holding technique, so most of the support is coming from underneath by your left hand with fingers ready to manipulate the lens from below as in MF operation, while the right hand is mainly for stabilizing plus operation of certain controls.

I used to have a K-r as my second lightweight body to my K20D and later to my K-5 IIs and liked it. I replaced it with the K-S2 which is designed much like the K-70. One thing I did not like about the K-r, in addition to fewer on-body controls which I can live with as a secondary model, was its having only one control wheel, and just one control to change between shutter speed and aperture when shooting in Manual mode. Holding down the +/- button to switch function is rather cumbersome, and not ergonomically-friendly. This lack also means not having full access to the exclusive and fast, efficient Pentax Hyper system of operation.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-27-2021 at 04:51 PM.
03-01-2021, 02:20 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I missed that thread but a few comments:

1.I had difficulties adjusting to the grip and handling of the KP. I still have difficulties because of two reasons:
a) Seen from the back the position for the right belt is diagonal (K3 and K5 on the side). I prefer special wrist belts because I like to have the camera tight on my right hand.

b) I have focusing on the AF/AE-L button and release only in the release button (no focusing there): With the problem of a) I still find it more difficult to focus with just one hand holding the camera and then release, that was easier with the K3 and is much easier with the K5
And yet, I take it like this: The KP is a great body and I like features it has so I accept it and learned to get used to it.

That is often my approach. Not always possible, for example to soft car seats such as in French cars I cannot live with.

IMO the K70 is less difficult "to adjust to"

The K-S2 is exactly the same design, so I don't understand why this question/thread???

But I understand the TO: The K-r was a very handy design, many love it for that reason.
It was somehow in between the K30 and K-x.

@Steve: The K50 is very different to the K-S2!

The K-x and K-r I had in my hands, tried them a bit, but I never owned them.

For me the K7 and K5 were the best in handling, then the K30 and K50, both identical aside of the flash, that one of the K30 more forward, the K50 looks more like a Canon to me.

But from an aesthetic point of view, the KP "looks" best to me.
03-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I've had the k-70 for a week, and I still can't get use to it's grip. My previous camera was the k-r, and it felt right in my hand.
The k-70 however, just feels big and beefy. I'm seriously considering sending it back.

But what to replace it with? I don't want to spend even more money to get the kp.
I don't mind going downwards in megapixels, say to 16.
I really like the handling of my K70, it is very much like my old K50 which was also very good. If just giving it some time doesn't improve it enough for you, you might consider adding an inexpensive "grip strap" from Ebay. I bought one of these for my PZ-1P, since I couldn't find the authentic Pentax Grip Strap unit that was made for the PZ-1P. It actually worked really well and improved the handling of the PZ-1P very much. I eventually got the real Pentax grip/strap base along with a second Z-1p body, but it no longer had the original strap. I was able to use the ebay strap and adapt it to the plastic Pentax grip/strap base.

One of those $10 grip/straps may just make the difference for you on the K70 (since Pentax doesn't make a battery grip for it).

DSLRKIT HG-1 Hand Strap Grip for ALL SLR Camera as AH-4 | eBay

Richard.

03-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
@Steve: The K50 is very different to the K-S2!
I have handled both and my impression regarding grips and handling was that they were quite similar. I also reviewed photos of both cameras prior to making my comment above. If the OP wants a grip similar to the K-r and distinct from the K-70, they are not going to find it on the K-50 or the K-S2. Of course, that my opinion and nothing more.

Steve
03-01-2021, 09:48 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I essentially agree with photogem's comments- the K-5 series to me offer top-notch handling and controls layout. The KP's have to be less roomy and dedicated because its concept is for a compact high-caliber body with pro-style controls and build quality. I almost never do one-hand shooting and don't even use a neck strap, let alone a hand strap. Nor do I use rear-button AF, so the rear controls arrangement of the KP are good enough, and the topside controls are excellent. Of course, as with all the camera bodies I've used over the years, there's always something to get used to that at first seems awkward. I prefer the shutter half-press as for me it is faster to use one button for AF and shutter release for action shooting, instead of going back and forth between 2 buttons- but that 's just me. The K-70's right hand grip is a little fatter than the K-S2's which contributes to being slightly larger and heavier. However, at least one camera review I read of the K-70 noted the narrow and quite crowded nature of the rear thumb rest, making it easier to accidentally hit adjacent controls, and lack of thumb stability from the narrow rest caused the reviewers to specifically not recommend this camera for doing one-handed shooting.

The KP's rear thumb rest is much more substantial for stability, and has better separation from adjacent buttons. The K-S2 shares the same rear control layout and narrow thumb rest of the K-70, but ironically it is the one body with which I would do one-handed shooting, using its special selfie feature! This feature is automatically activated when the articulating rear screen is reversed frontwards for selfies, converting the wifi button to an alternative shutter release as the camera is being held backward with the thumb in front! Then the narrow thumb rest doesn't matter. I can use this for selfies with a friend or when traveling alone to get myself in various scenes of places I am visiting. Unfortunately, this unique feature was omitted in the K-70!

---------- Post added 03-01-21 at 10:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That and the K20D had the best grips of any camera I've had.
Yep, that one is a handful, indeed. It was also the last body having a dedicated on-body bracketing control, until the K-1 and... the KP!
03-02-2021, 06:43 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have handled both and my impression regarding grips and handling was that they were quite similar. I also reviewed photos of both cameras prior to making my comment above. If the OP wants a grip similar to the K-r and distinct from the K-70, they are not going to find it on the K-50 or the K-S2. Of course, that my opinion and nothing more.

Steve
Perhaps photogem was thinking of the K-30? That grip is different. I only handled one once, a few years back, but I was surprised at how comfortable it felt in my hands. I should have added it to my list of the "perfect handles" but I haven't had the experience of holding it for a long time.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Yep, that one is a handful, indeed. It was also the last body having a dedicated on-body bracketing control, until the K-1 and... the KP!
What I miss from the K20D/K200D is the in-body SR on/off button. I used that all the time, especially with manual zooms (setting the SR focal length for the long end and disabling it when using the short end).
03-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Perhaps photogem was thinking of the K-30? That grip is different. I only handled one once, a few years back, but I was surprised at how comfortable it felt in my hands. I should have added it to my list of the "perfect handles" but I haven't had the experience of holding it for a long time.
No, the grip of the K30 and K50 are almost 100% identical.
You wouldn't really notice the difference.

The grip of the K-S2 and of the K-70 are almost identical, the K70 has that 1mm extra rubber.

Pentax K-30 vs Pentax K-50 Detailed Comparison
Pentax K-50 vs Pentax K-70 Detailed Comparison
Pentax K-S2 vs Pentax K-70 Detailed Comparison

But only if you have opened / disassembled all of them, then you know that the bodies and way they are designed

of the K70 and K-S2 and K-30 and K-50/500 are almost similar.

I have a K30/50/K-S2 here in my house. I had the K70 and a friend nearby has one.

03-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
No, the grip of the K30 and K50 are almost 100% identical.
You wouldn't really notice the difference.
The EU models must be quite different, I fear. Here in N. American, the K-30 has a rather aggressive grip design, enough so that I have shopped for that camera over the K-50 simply to get the grip. In other words, one can "really notice the difference". The difference is also obvious in the LINK you provided above. What is not obvious is that the grip front to thumb grip distance is somewhat deeper on the K-30 and also has a more pronounced middle finger indent than the K-50. Of course, much depends on hand size and finger length such that what is obvious to one user might not be felt by another.

FWIW...disassembly will not provide clues to concerns regarding ergonomics; however, I do concur that the the shared design of the K-30 through to the K-S2 and K-70 is pretty obvious based on external appearance alone.

Steve
03-03-2021, 01:53 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The EU models must be quite different, I fear.
You must be joking

I certain that except solenoid difference in earlier Pentax entry-level (flash-solenoid) there is no difference

Here in N. American, the K-30 has a rather aggressive grip design, enough so that I have shopped for that camera over the K-50 simply to get the grip. In other words, one can "really notice the difference".
I never saw it as aggressive, but there is a difference for those with longer fingers:

The difference is also obvious in the LINK you provided above.
What is not obvious is that the grip front to thumb grip distance is somewhat deeper on the K-30
I measured it today:
K-30: 74mm (indention depth for middlefinger 7mm)
K-50: 74mm (indention depth for middlefinger 7mm)
K-S2: 73mm (indention depth for middlefinger 6mm)

..and also has a more pronounced middle finger indent than the K-50.
The pronouncation is not so much noticable in the side if the indent but very different were the middle finger might touch with its tip:
Here the K30 has a indention very different to (if I remember right) any other other Pentax, one can see it quite well Here on this white K30.

I do agree with you, the way the tip if the middle finger can touch here next to the lens can be sensed in a different way and the depth for the middle finger is 3mm deeper! This extra depth through the different designed rubber here is unique, the depth is similar to the K3.

Of course, much depends on hand size and finger length such that what is obvious to one user might not be felt by another.
Yes, very much of course. And users with small hands and fingers will have a very different way of feeling/sensing those differences.